2017 General MLS Transfer Rumors

I bet that Red Bull was one of the other teams in the mix for Dwyer - they are sitting on a ton of Cap space and (I believe) Garber Bucks. That would have been a monumental nightmare for us if they got him - the thought of BWP and Dwyer (and now Royer) is pretty scary.... then again, Dwyer may not have wanted to put up with Marsch's shit and attitude so perhaps he had the final say in his destination??? (And it's easier for his wife to move to orlando's NWSL team than for her to facilitate a move to Sky Blue)

As my micro-econ professor liked to joke, always remember the answer to every econ question ever is "opportunity costs".

(Or, not prima facie relevant here, "supply equals demand".)

Agreed. I wanted to note that while it looks like Orlando is pre-spending money from an expected the Larin sale that hasn't happened yet, they're mostly spending money from the Molino sale. My last bit about whether spending it on Dwyer and a mid to be named later is a good move was my nod to opportunity costs. OTOH, I'm not sure Orlando has better opportunities given the givens.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and JayH
LOL so for our MLS cap and roster rules buffs there seemed to be a cap of 650k allocation dollars in a deal and the performance incentives are to meant to circumvent the cap. One of the incentives is a single appearance by Dwyer

That's hilarious!!! SKC just found a sweet loophole and Kreis definitely mortgaged the house. The cherry would be (bitter) if Dwyer goes down injured next week (because I want him available for MNT), but I'd soldier through it to see Kreis get royally screwed.

LOL so for our MLS cap and roster rules buffs there seemed to be a cap of 650k allocation dollars in a deal and the performance incentives are to meant to circumvent the cap. One of the incentives is a single appearance by Dwyer

This example brought to you by Midas's wealth redistribution hypothesis, i.e., If you redistributed all of the wealth and remain a mostly capitalist society, 95% of the wealth would end up in more or less the same hands.

This now means that it could be more lucrative to trade inside MLS than to transfer out from an allocation standpoint.

"The league and the teams did not specify how much of the $700,000 in incentive-based money is TAM and how much is GAM, nor in what years the money will be paid – the new transparency extends only so far – but depending on Sporting Kansas City’s preference, the club would be able to specify how much of each is payable on certain dates.

A second Eastern Conference front-office source agreed that Vermes’ structuring of the deal “very, very smart,” pointing to both the longevity of the allocation money and the amount of usable allocation received by keeping the deal inside MLS instead of selling to an outside team. MLS teams can use a maximum of $650,000 from any sale of a player as allocation money. The rest goes to MLS, the owner and other areas of team investment, i.e. the academy, scouting, analytics, training fields, etc.

Essentially, the $1.6 million acquired is more than double what he would have received by selling Dwyer outside MLS for, say, $3 million, which would have been given Sporting a net of $650,000."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/feat...s-record-tranfer-analysis#H310O4we1JIK0jbH.99

Reactions: SoupInNYC
"The league and the teams did not specify how much of the $700,000 in incentive-based money is TAM and how much is GAM, nor in what years the money will be paid – the new transparency extends only so far – but depending on Sporting Kansas City’s preference, the club would be able to specify how much of each is payable on certain dates.

A second Eastern Conference front-office source agreed that Vermes’ structuring of the deal “very, very smart,” pointing to both the longevity of the allocation money and the amount of usable allocation received by keeping the deal inside MLS instead of selling to an outside team. MLS teams can use a maximum of $650,000 from any sale of a player as allocation money. The rest goes to MLS, the owner and other areas of team investment, i.e. the academy, scouting, analytics, training fields, etc.

Essentially, the $1.6 million acquired is more than double what he would have received by selling Dwyer outside MLS for, say, $3 million, which would have been given Sporting a net of $650,000."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/feat...s-record-tranfer-analysis#H310O4we1JIK0jbH.99
I wrote that same thing (last two paragraphs) in a response to S sbrylski hours before 442 went live - a few pages back in this thread.

This example brought to you by Midas's wealth redistribution hypothesis, i.e., If you redistributed all of the wealth and remain a mostly capitalist society, 95% of the wealth would end up in more or less the same hands.
Countdown to someone yelling that we shouldn't be talking politics in 3

That's at least partially because there are many forms of capital that you wouldn't be re-distributing (educational, social and political capital, ...) which hello in the accumulation of money.

... 2

In any case, this in itself is not, to me, a sufficient argument for having no regulation of wealth disparity. Houses need to be maintained, but nobody it's arguing that we should spend our lives exposed to the elements.

... 1

OK, OK, he started it.

Countdown to someone yelling that we shouldn't be talking politics in 3

That's at least partially because there are many forms of capital that you wouldn't be re-distributing (educational, social and political capital, ...) which hello in the accumulation of money.

... 2

In any case, this in itself is not, to me, a sufficient argument for having no regulation of wealth disparity. Houses need to be maintained, but nobody it's arguing that we should spend our lives exposed to the elements.

... 1

OK, OK, he started it.

Didn't start anything. Definitely not biting.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Holy shit, Seattle. Now also signing Victor Rodriguez from Sporting Gijon.

http://sporting.elcomercio.es/victor-rodriguez-abandona-sporting-20170726120734-nt.html

Forwards and midfielders: Bruin, Morris, Dempsey, Derlis Gonzalez, Lodeirdo, Victor Rodriguez, Roldan, Alonso, Svensson, and Shipp.

Wow.

They're basically trying to capture lightening in a bottle twice over with this move. It worked with Torres last year, so the logic goes why can't it work this year.

My theory on why it won't work is that Seattle has actual structural problems that can't be papered over by one or two signings.

Doyle just said the biggest news hasn't even dropped yet. He has to be talking about JDS right?

Doyle just said the biggest news hasn't even dropped yet. He has to be talking about JDS right?

Wasn't that already confirmed though? Derlis Gonzalez to Seattle is pretty big news that supposed to be announced Friday, maybe that?

2 weeks left in the window and I haven't heard anything resembling even a slightly credible rumor in weeks. Wonder what NYCFC is up to.

Either nothing or they've got the ability to absolutely shut down leaks if they want to. If they could shut down leaks like that it would kind of make me get the tinfoil hat out for times when we have heard something.

But honestly probably nothing, even though we really need depth all over the place.