2017 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: Kjbert
If Frank and Pirlo are both on the roster, I don't see us quite equaling this year. If they're both starting in midfield, I don't know if we'll top year 1.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
If Frank and Pirlo are both on the roster, I don't see us quite equaling this year. If they're both starting in midfield, I don't know if we'll top year 1.
After how Pirlo finished the year we can get a much higher quality player. Hoping he doesn't come back. If he does then I hope for the best.

After how Pirlo finished the year we can get a much higher quality player. Hoping he doesn't come back. If he does then I hope for the best.
Eh, much has been said on these forums about how Iraola's dropping back to the back line when we have the ball improved our ability to play out of defense but hampered our ability to keep the ball in midfield. IMO as always, if we can put the right people around him, Pirlo will make things happen.

That's a bit pessimistic even for you. I think we regress a bit but ultimately fall in between year 1 and 2. I'd predict finishing somewhere 5-6 in the East and losing the knockout.

That's a bit pessimistic even for you. I think we regress a bit but ultimately fall in between year 1 and 2. I'd predict finishing somewhere 5-6 in the East and losing the knockout.
Now that's even more pessimistic for you on a relative scale!

ETA: I think we've been a bit exposed, and I don't know quite how it took so long. If opponents press high for even intermittent spells and we don't play a low block, we're good for giving up 2 or more while presenting no threat going forward. We need some legs in the midfield or else we have to really commit to a 3/5 man backline with 4 people moving into central midfield. I guess that's what happens when you don't have a single true CM - you have to throw bodies at it - and get, I don't know, the Sampson 3-6-1 or a 3-5-2 or something.

Last edited:
Isn't Lampard out of contract? I thought he was only in for two years -- last year and this year.
Yes, but - to the extent you believe the reports - he has already been offered an extension.

Yes, but - to the extent you believe the reports - he has already been offered an extension.
I cannot express how stupid this is or how dismal it makes my mood about the team. (PS. Not Joe's fault of course).
Lampard played 37.6 minutes per game last year, largely because he missed 15 games altogether. If he's 27 and the docs say he's 100% recovered, you can take a chance, but he's 38, and the soft tissue, non-contact injuries he keeps getting are the type that aging athletes just keep getting and recover from more slowly as they age. And we're going to blow 12.5% of our salary cap and 33% of our DP slots on a guy who plays less than half the available minutes over the season, unless he saves us by not accepting..

Last edited:
If there is any fire to the Basti to NYCFC in January rumors (some more this week), even if it is just true that inquiries have been made by NYCFC, it suggests that there is a chance/expectation that either Pirlo or Lampard will not be back (or alternatively a less than DP contract is in play). Whether or not a Basti deal comes to fruition (or even is the right move), the rumors alone provide some hope that we may lose one of the two. Both gone would be optimal, one gone(preferably Lampard) would be acceptable, neither gone would be painful.

Now that's even more pessimistic for you on a relative scale!

ETA: I think we've been a bit exposed, and I don't know quite how it took so long. If opponents press high for even intermittent spells and we don't play a low block, we're good for giving up 2 or more while presenting no threat going forward. We need some legs in the midfield or else we have to really commit to a 3/5 man backline with 4 people moving into central midfield. I guess that's what happens when you don't have a single true CM - you have to throw bodies at it - and get, I don't know, the Sampson 3-6-1 or a 3-5-2 or something.

We have to stay ahead of the arms race. Our playing from the back countered the prevailing and stagnant MLS strategy of both teams playing direct leading to track meets in MLS, where the ball pinged from keeper to keeper with a few touches in between. Credit to the few teams who caught on and were able to execute that strategy.

Its up to Patrick to find the counter to the press. I trust that he will, and MLS will have been elevated along the way. You are welcome, rest of the league.

OMG NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan and Others NEWS SCOOP !!! Andrea post a picture of himself and his Agent on his Facebook Today!! WTF????? !!!!!.........So he couldn't post a Thank-You or an Apology to the NYCFC Fans for the season?? So Mr Tampa or Boss as we all should refer to you as What's Your Take ???

OMG NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan and Others NEWS SCOOP !!! Andrea post a picture of himself and his Agent on his Facebook Today!! WTF????? !!!!!.........So he couldn't post a Thank-You or an Apology to the NYCFC Fans for the season?? So Mr Tampa or Boss as we all should refer to you as What's Your Take ???
Not sure if you're being hyperbolic to make a point, but pirlo had a great year overall. It seemed that things conspired against him as the year went on, vis a vis changes in strategy and possibly injuries. The ONLY unfortunate part of him returning is that you need to mold the entire team around him to get his benefit. That makes you dependent on him, and if he gets hurt or you can't get him time, you lose. Makes for a non resilient team.

You think Pirlo had a great year? Really?

Maybe they offered Lampard an extension because they're not close on another DP for next season?

Not sure if you're being hyperbolic to make a point, but pirlo had a great year overall. It seemed that things conspired against him as the year went on, vis a vis changes in strategy and possibly injuries. The ONLY unfortunate part of him returning is that you need to mold the entire team around him to get his benefit. That makes you dependent on him, and if he gets hurt or you can't get him time, you lose. Makes for a non resilient team.
T Tom in Fairfield CT You Miss the Point !! Everyone knows how I feel about Mr Pirlo!! Look at NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan quote than mine . It's just a reply to The Boss ! I just wanted Everyone to know The News of Today !!! No one on this forum but me goes to his Facebook!

With the Title of World Class Player.... I was very Shocked and Disappointed that he made No Statement to NYCFC Fans about the season or his thoughts since he regularly makes posts . Andrea Not Nice !!

You think Pirlo had a great year? Really?

Maybe they offered Lampard an extension because they're not close on another DP for next season?
I think he ran the offense on the highest scoring team in the league. It would be my preference that he not come back because I'd rather be a bit less predictable and competitive for midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.