2017 Summer Signings

I think you may have Fcked Up.
Perhaps, but in light of it, how about deleting your post and/or edit it out to not draw attention?

Considering the amount of secrecy the club deals in, they may not appreciate loose talk by the party at a party. Capiche?

Reactions: Kjbert
Perhaps, but in light of it, how about deleting your post and/or edit it out to not draw attention?

Considering the amount of secrecy the club deals in, they may not appreciate loose talk by the party at a party. Capiche?
To be fair, you have kept your other post up there unedited.

Reactions: Kjbert and sbrylski
Wait, what? He's the one responsible for the "leak" by linking to *your* public message?
Didn't say that, and I edited mine to make amends. Piling on and drawing attention doesn't help the situation and could theoretically hurt it if there's a NDA.

So do we want Fuchs? Two games don't make a player, but he was brutal in the UCL QFs.

Unless he becomes the left sided version of Ethan white

Actual lol at the people treating this random transfer rumour like they've uncovered highly classified national security intel. First time I've ever seen a transfer thread turn into a John Le Carré novel.

(If anyone does want to talk about Christian Fuchs potentially signing, meet me in the abandoned GAL parking lot just after sundown. I'll be the guy in the trenchcoat smoking a cigarette. Tell no one)

This year Pirlo is due for a potentially significantly reduced work load. As mentioned, Herrera won't be here due to the U-20 World Cup. Phiri wouldn't join until August. Pirlo, Ring, and Camargo are all on expiring contracts. How many more reasons can I think of?

Ring's contract is 2+1 years. That report saying he's on a one-year contract was untrue.

Not so fast my friend,

Spoke to someone about 20 minutes ago, it's pretty much a "done deal" just pending signatures and visas. Not sure why Reyna would say that but I'm going to keep digging either way.
Are there any updates to this? Does it seem like we are still going to end up bringing him in?

So with out attendances woes does our game plan change? Does the club believe that there has to be a big name here to draw crowds and go for another Lampardesque signing?

So with out attendances woes does our game plan change? Does the club believe that there has to be a big name here to draw crowds and go for another Lampardesque signing?
If they believe that, they don't know NYC at all..... we need a team that consistently wins, not a "name" that cannot put their stamp on a game - Nobody enjoys that subway ride home after a cluster-fck.

Now if they want to bring in a big name that has the ability to take over a game, then that's ok, but a big name for the sake of a big name is going to just lead to dwindling numbers for a team that cannot win the winnable games.

Shit, we're actually starting to feel like Arsenal - we look good losing and the staff is ok with it because we are playing our fancy style.

If they believe that, they don't know NYC at all..... we need a team that consistently wins, not a "name" that cannot put their stamp on a game - Nobody enjoys that subway ride home after a cluster-fck.

Now if they want to bring in a big name that has the ability to take over a game, then that's ok, but a big name for the sake of a big name is going to just lead to dwindling numbers for a team that cannot win the winnable games.

Shit, we're actually starting to feel like Arsenal - we look good losing and the staff is ok with it because we are playing our fancy style.

Totally disagree. You need to win and you need to win with big names. You can't get into a Knick game for less than $100. They sell out. And they stink. People show up to see Carmelo and Derrick Rose, even though they're the equivalent of Pele on the Cosmos at this point in time.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Totally disagree. You need to win and you need to win with big names. You can't get into a Knick game for less than $100. They sell out. And they stink. People show up to see Carmelo and Derrick Rose, even though they're the equivalent of Pele on the Cosmos at this point in time.
The Knicks sell out because of the tremendous number of Business accounts taking groups of seats - it's easy to take clients to games after work. It is not convenient to take clients to a weekend game.

Lots of reasons why I don't think that translates, including
  • relative popularity of basketball/soccer both in US and NYC
  • Knicks 70 year history in NYC
  • presence of worldwide superstars on almost every opposing team
  • best basketball league in the world
  • ticket scarcity
Even so, I think both celebrity plus winning will be necessary for NYCFC to break through the noise and clutter of the NY sports market. But celebrity players and no trophies will be a deadly combination for a new team in the city's 5th most popular spectator sport. The club can survive like that, but I don't see it leading to buzz or sustained high attendance or ratings.
Finally, in a battle between success but no stars, or stars but no success, Winning wins.

One leads to leads like "While nobody noticed, one New York team quietly became the best in its league, winning 3 titles in 5 years." The other gets leads like "NYCFC continues to underperform, consistently fielding the biggest names in soccer season after season yet never achieving success through it's first decade of existence." The Knicks can survive that sort of publicity and draw big crowds because they're the Knicks. I don't see NYCFC doing well that way.

- Mods please move if not in proper forum -

Per City Watch: Manchester City have been scouting highly-rated Ghanaian winger Kingsley Sarfo (22) who plays for Swedish side IK Sirius. [Ghanasoccernet]

I'm a City fan, and considering Pep is manger and the way the MC front office has operated over the last 4-5 years, I find it hard to believe this is a player City wants for themselves.

I'm flagging this news because if acquired, I can see Sarfo getting "loaned" to either our favorite football club in the Bronx or the A-league squad.

Also if we sell Mata: Barcelona left-back Marc Cucurella (18), out of contract in June, still hasn't agreed a new deal, with City very keen to sign him. [Marca]