2018 General MLS Transfer Rumors

It really is stealing a player, pure and simple. He is under contract. He is a big boy, and so is his agent, and they agreed to everything with their eyes open. Sadly, I don't trust FIFA to do the right thing.

I didn't know anything about this before I read this stuff but from a peripheral browse of the Internet, it seems the issue is that Larin's optional two extra years were written in such a way that Orlando could trigger them whether Larin gave his assent or not. Thing is, I don't believe FIFA in recent years has much time for contracts like that and they are of the opinion that any contracts or extensions between player and team have to be mutually accepted.

It wouldn't matter much in cases where a player extends or transfers between teams in the same country, because FIFA does not have to authorise internal moves and it doesn't have the power to declare contracts void, it can only punish the national federation which endorses them if it feels the crime is grave enough. However, for a transfer to a foreign club, footballing rules state FIFA have to give their approval and so it really can't be treated as a surprise if they end up favouring the club whose views on contracts are in line with their own

Minnesota out a $4 Million bid in for an $8 Million rated player

Wow that's low but I guess they misplayed their leverage a bit by using option years.

Yep. Way too low, so I guess Besiktas' strategy paid off.

I hope Larin enjoys his time in Turkey.

giphy.gif

With the ESPN piece that recently came out about Lee Nguyen, what’s everybody’s thoughts on picking him up?

I personally like his play, he’s a proven scorer from midfield, a domestic player, and is currently making the league max and wants to be a TAM-paid player. The downside is he’s 31, but whatever, he still runs harder than some of the guys on our team (ok, maybe only one).

He’s utterly frustrated at NE, feels he’s served his time, and wants out. While NE says they will play hardball, are they really in a position to banish him like PV did to Mix, or do they need to save face and move him for something of value? I think the latter. So I don’t know what we’d have to give up for him (TMac+$$), I’m sure it could be arranged.

Thoughts?

Reactions: adam
I think Nguyen is a solid player and any team would be lucky to have him. He's very skilled and can create well, and his ability has been masked by playing for New England. He also wouldn't take up an international slot.

The question is whether he could be the 4th midfielder that we want. I do think he is more of an attacker than the box-to-box or defensive player we need, and we already have wingers who can slide back to the 10 spot if Maxi is out.

There is also the price, which is likely to be steep, but maybe can be mitigated by sending a guy like Tommy.

I think Nguyen is a solid player and any team would be lucky to have him. He's very skilled and can create well, and his ability has been masked by playing for New England. He also wouldn't take up an international slot.

The question is whether he could be the 4th midfielder that we want. I do think he is more of an attacker than the box-to-box or defensive player we need, and we already have wingers who can slide back to the 10 spot if Maxi is out.

There is also the price, which is likely to be steep, but maybe can be mitigated by sending a guy like Tommy.
I think Nguyen could also play LW in our system.

Could be a good pickup. I don't think I would do it if we keep Jack as I'm not sure spending that much money on a loaded position would be worth it, but if we sell Jack, definitely worth a look IMO.

Could be a good pickup. I don't think I would do it if we keep Jack as I'm not sure spending that much money on a loaded position would be worth it, but if we sell Jack, definitely worth a look IMO.
But if we got him, imagine the possibilities for our 2-7-1 formation. Nobody could ever track the runners from midfield.

Uch. I just posted about this in the roster thread. Anyway, I agree with all of you. Trade Tummy, then use dTAM to buy down his new contract to under DP threshold. I’d bet he beats out Maxi for that 10 spot. And Maxi becomes our backup 10 who can also fill in at the 8. Another year with a DP on the bench, but if they won’t sell him or cut him...

Uch. I just posted about this in the roster thread. Anyway, I agree with all of you. Trade Tummy, then use dTAM to buy down his new contract to under DP threshold. I’d bet he beats out Maxi for that 10 spot. And Maxi becomes our backup 10 who can also fill in at the 8. Another year with a DP on the bench, but if they won’t sell him or cut him...
He’s a guy that by adding, we could legitimately rotate the midfield; so less of a situation of one guy beating out another but rather 4-5 guys playing3 positions.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam

Lee doesn’t work on defense. I like his passing and creativity. But he’s lazy as shit on defense.

That’s why PV wouldn’t okay him, especially at LW.

Lee doesn’t work on defense. I like his passing and creativity. But he’s lazy as shit on defense.

That’s why PV wouldn’t okay him, especially at LW.
He's typically a Sheringham-style (dated myself there) forward for NE though isn't he? And do NE run a high press? I don't watch enough of them to know. Just wondering if it might be a situational thing.

To the broader point, though, I'm not sure he makes sense at LW in our system, not necessarily because of the defensive aspect, but because he's more of a free-role player who works well between the lines. We don't really have space for a 10 in our system.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
So many questions

Would he come for March?
TAM Salary means he can only make $1.5 Million. Is it more likely that he would join in the summer and make $1.5 Million?
Does this mean he won't try and play for Sweden in the World Cup?

So many questions

Would he come for March?
TAM Salary means he can only make $1.5 Million. Is it more likely that he would join in the summer and make $1.5 Million?
Does this mean he won't try and play for Sweden in the World Cup?

Too much logic, you forgot rule #1, if the LAG want to sign a big name there is no need to speculate on how they will do it within the current cap rules because the MLS has proven numerous times that they will change the rules for LAG.

But assuming that's not happening this time, seems like summer is more likely given how the money would work out and the fact that Man U likely wouldn't mind keeping him through the end of the year. With regards to the world cup hasn't he previously announced that he will not play internationally again? Granted that was before they qualified so he could always go back on it.