2018 Roster Discussion

Let's remember that RJ Allen and Ethan White I believe it was both showed up late, on Game day of all days, and were removed from that match. They seemed to get back into action pretty quickly afterwards so it does go to show that you can recover, but you gotta show something. JLew must not have done so yet.

We're not going to hear anything about it. That's just City's way.

I was pretty disappointed with the reporter who let Vieira shut down a Lewis question with "I don't have to talk about my decisions" (at a press conference, for god's sake) without challenging him or following up. We need to demand that City change City's way.

Let's remember that RJ Allen and Ethan White I believe it was both showed up late, on Game day of all days, and were removed from that match. They seemed to get back into action pretty quickly afterwards so it does go to show that you can recover, but you gotta show something. JLew must not have done so yet.

maybe they were apologetic and said it wont happen again though. Rumors are that Lewis is very cocky and self centered

If he's not even going to make the 18 all season we might as well ship him off for some *AM so we can find someone with a better attitude. His value is still high.

What did we pay for his draft pick again?

maybe they were apologetic and said it wont happen again though. Rumors are that Lewis is very cocky and self centered
Cocky is what I want on the field.

He may be in need of some emotional growth, but compared to the fire the team showed this past weekend, every team needs a player that doesn’t give two fcks and just wants to play. If City doesn’t want one on the team, then ship him out immediately for value in return.

Do we expect a player that can't make the 18 (for whatever reason that may be) to be able to fetch at least $250K in return? I mean if he made at least a couple sub appearances this year I could see $400k based off other deals but why would a team take a chance on him when $400K of allocation money can get you a guaranteed product.

Or are we just at the point we hope to be able to collect some of that allocation money back and sell him for $200K?

Reactions: Kjbert
Do we expect a player that can't make the 18 (for whatever reason that may be) to be able to fetch at least $250K in return? I mean if he made at least a couple sub appearances this year I could see $400k based off other deals but why would a team take a chance on him when $400K of allocation money can get you a guaranteed product.

Or are we just at the point we hope to be able to collect some of that allocation money back and sell him for $200K?
He’s Generation Adidas so he has instant value. Just because he doesn’t make PV’s 18, doesn’t mean he wouldn’t make every other teams’ 18. He would and would also likely see minutes.

This is what I keep coming back to as I tend to give PV the benefit of the doubt. Allen and White aren't half the talents that Lewis and Mix are, but they managed to get second chances almost immediately. I do realize that being reasonable in one situation is no guarantee a person is reasonable in another, and perhaps PV is unfair with Mix and Lewis for reasons unique and unfathomable, but I have so little else to go on.

This is what I keep coming back to as I tend to give PV the benefit of the doubt. Allen and White aren't half the talents that Lewis and Mix are, but they managed to get second chances almost immediately. I do realize that being reasonable in one situation is no guarantee a person is reasonable in another, and perhaps PV is unfair with Mix and Lewis for reasons unique and unfathomable, but I have so little else to go on.
Mikey and Khiry also made it out of the dog house fairly quickly after that social media issue 2 years ago.

Not sure if this is doable but someone mentioned this to me as a hypothetical if this is Villas last year.

Villa comes off the books at the end of the year. During the summer (or when hes below the 1.5 million DP threshold) you buy down the remaining balance of Maxis salary making him non longer a DP. Then you pick up another DP to close out the year. So you essentially have 4 DPs but are only counting 3 of them. Then for 2019 Maxi becomes a DP again, as he is now owed 2 million, and is over the threshold. It would look as follows:

DPs for Remainder of 2018:

Medina
Villa
3rd DP

DPs for 2019:

Medina
Maxi
3rd DP

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Not sure if this is doable but someone mentioned this to me as a hypothetical if this is Villas last year.

Villa comes off the books at the end of the year. During the summer (or when hes below the 1.5 million DP threshold) you buy down the remaining balance of Maxis salary making him non longer a DP. Then you pick up another DP to close out the year. So you essentially have 4 DPs but are only counting 3 of them. Then for 2019 Maxi becomes a DP again, as he is now owed 2 million, and is over the threshold. It would look as follows:

DPs for Remainder of 2018:

Medina
Villa
3rd DP

DPs for 2019:

Medina
Maxi
3rd DP
Its possible to have Medina not count as a DP if they take the transfer fee cap hit all at once for this season. This depends on how high his salary is, which we don't know at the moment. But he could end up being a TAM player going forward and the transfer fee is the reason he's a DP this year.

Its possible to have Medina not count as a DP if they take the transfer fee cap hit all at once for this season. This depends on how high his salary is, which we don't know at the moment. But he could end up being a TAM player going forward and the transfer fee is the reason he's a DP this year.
I've read this idea before but can't find anything in the regulations that imply that this is possible.

A player's Salary Budget Charge, and therefore Designated Player status, is determined by averaging all amounts payable over the guaranteed contract term excluding option years.

Also interesting that the max salary eligible to be bought down with TAM is just over 1.5M but even though the DP budget charge is halved at the summer transfer window, I'm not sure that the max salary eligible is halved (i.e. the loophole is open).

He’s Generation Adidas so he has instant value. Just because he doesn’t make PV’s 18, doesn’t mean he wouldn’t make every other teams’ 18. He would and would also likely see minutes.

Khiry being a prime example. Limited minutes as a sub in PVs system. Starting forward for the top team in the West.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich

I don't think anybody's certain about this aspect of the rules (and I've gone over it in painful detail). Last time I looked into it I came down on the side of transfer fees probably being amortized for DPs, based on some reports from a few years ago and the questionable assumption that if MLS had made a major rule change we would have heard about it.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Khiry being a prime example. Limited minutes as a sub in PVs system. Starting forward for the top team in the West.
But... 7 games, 13 shots (4 on target), 0 goals, 2 assists. "Starting" forward averaging less than 2 shots a game?

Sorry, but I had to shit on Khiry. He was up against a team down 2 players and managed to take 2 shots. A "9" striker taking 2 shots? Oy vey.

This is a prime example. I never rated Khiry, although his physical traits were evident, because the role he was always placed in didn’t seem to put him in a place to succeed- he’s strong and fast and tall but he doesn’t pick his head up so playing the wing kills his ability to see somebody to pass to once he’s barreled into the corner. I hate Vermes, but the guy has figured out a way to use a low-priced American forward as the target man, in a role where he can barrel forward and eventually run into the box/goal, all the while forcing CBs to account for him. He still can’t seem to score in front of an open net, but getting quality minutes out of Khiry is commendable, and SKC is top of the table using a guy we had no use for.