2018 Roster Discussion

But unless all this is paid with Monopoly money, I wonder if the TV rights, tickets, sponsorship rights, etc. will really justify it for some teams to actually spend all those extra funds. We accuse some small market teams of being cheap, but I wonder if they just aren't bringing in enough money as it is.

How has no one made a shitty pun about yams or ham yet??
giphy.gif

In theory, I don't necessarily agree with that. If anything, they should be freeing up cap money for domestic players as they are moving a whole bunch of the foreigners who were counting $200-$500K on the cap to $150K cap status (TAM, this knew one, and young DPs). In theory that should free up pure cap money for domestic/green card players (I say in theory because all these categories are so new that the team salary cap structures still need time to shake out).

Now if you want to say a $4 million cap figure is too low, that's one thing, but until they give out more international roster slots, the available money for domestic/green card talent should be growing (albiet slower than the TAM guys).

Having said that, I agree the entire system is farcical and needs to be simplified.

This makes some intuitive sense but I don't think it's been borne out. What's actually happening is TAM (and soon YAM) fill roster spaces four through seven or eight and all that leftover cap space gets concentrated on the best American players, while the cheap domestic guys who've been MLS's bread and butter are getting squeezed out. Look at the bar graph at bottom right here:

DdQtjuUXkAE9tVQ.jpg

But unless all this is paid with Monopoly money, I wonder if the TV rights, tickets, sponsorship rights, etc. will really justify it for some teams to actually spend all those extra funds. We accuse some small market teams of being cheap, but I wonder if they just aren't bringing in enough money as it is.

The whole idea here is that YAM should become its own revenue stream. For that to work, you need to develop a track record as a selling league, with established links to European leagues and successful MLS grads that scouts can measure prospects against. You need a genuine pipeline, not just a couple stars getting picked off now and then. So it makes sense for the league to try to get more teams to get in on the act (even if they could do that better by getting out of the way, but whatever).

If MLS can establish itself as a Portugal or Holland type league that digs up and airs out Latin American talent before selling it on to the big four, small clubs stand to make a lot more money from player sales than from MLS's shitty TV deals. And since richer clubs will want to hold onto their Almiróns and Medinas as long as possible, it might even help level the economic playing field a little.

But all that's down the line. How you get Houston or Minnesota to spend discretionary millions right now is the hard question I think you're posing, and I didn't see anything in Tenorio's article that answers it. Revenue sharing would defeat YAM's investment incentives, and there's a good chance a lot of the first guys bought with this money won't recoup their costs, not until we have the reputation and scouting knowhow to keep up a good hit rate. If I'm a small club GM I'm not buying in until I see the system paying off.

Source: MLS tweaking trade rule to Discretionary TAM signings
The rule could help bring an influx of high-profile players while promoting more movement between teams.

Discretionary Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) is a relatively new initiative by MLS, one that looks poised for a change to its implementation in the not too distant future.

Metro has learned that players signed via Discretionary TAM can now be traded, a move that MLS could announce this week, a source close to the situation says. Up until now, players signed via Discretionary TAM could not be traded for consideration within the league but the league is set to overhaul those limitations.

Up until now, a player signed with Discretionary TAM could be traded but not for consideration. In other words, a Discretionary TAM signing could be traded as a salary dump but nothing could be received in return. Now, the source said the league is close to announcing that Discretionary TAM signings can be traded for compensation.

As a new rule for adding players to a roster, Discretionary TAM is an additional $2.8 million per year that teams can apply to their roster outside the salary cap. This is outside of the restrictions in place for signings such as Designated Players and regular TAM, general allocation money and other such nuances to the league’s salary cap.

The introduction of Discretionary TAM this offseason was a shrewd move by MLS, allowing teams that wish to spend more to build a roster the flexibility under the salary cap to do so. This is important as the league looks to continue to grow and add more players in their prime from South America and Europe as well as keeping domestic players in MLS.

Players signed via the Discretionary TAM mechanism were unable to be traded within MLS up until now. The source tells Metro that “Discretionary TAM signings can [now] be traded following the second window after their signing.” It is a slight tweak but gives teams greater flexibility with how to construct their rosters.

This could open the door for more movement within the league, especially as teams look to upgrade their rosters this summer.

It also could prove a boon as MLS pushes for greater international success.

That teams involved in competitions such as the CONCACAF Champions League can now make a move for eligible players signed via Discretionary TAM should help stack teams ahead of this competition. MLS made great strides this offseason with two sides making the semifinals of the CONCACAF Champions League. Toronto FC lost in the finals to Chivas de Guadalajara on penalty kicks.
MLSSoccer.com should allocate some money to hiring a copy editor. There are some horrendous sentences in that article.

Reactions: Kjbert
This makes some intuitive sense but I don't think it's been borne out. What's actually happening is TAM (and soon YAM) fill roster spaces four through seven or eight and all that leftover cap space gets concentrated on the best American players, while the cheap domestic guys who've been MLS's bread and butter are getting squeezed out. Look at the bar graph at bottom right here:

DdQtjuUXkAE9tVQ.jpg
Why is this bad? Get better or get gone.

The average American player deserves to
Get squeezed. Didn't you guys watch a shitty Colorado team full of average Americans get smoked today on a crappy pitch? If that game is played in good conditions, we win 7-0. That alone is a reason for YAM.

We should expect our club to be AMBITIOUS this summer. Go get the next Medina to replace Herrera. Although they'll probably buy Herrera. Stupid.

The idea has been pushed only by MLS Digital, but should David Villa be called up for the Spain World Cup Roster?

I'd put it at 25-1 that he's called up.

The idea has been pushed only by MLS Digital, but should David Villa be called up for the Spain World Cup Roster?

I don't know enough about the other choices, but I think it is very unlikely - not impossible. You have to think anyone called up in the last year has a chance, and so that includes him. If they need an experienced hand to help with the team, that helps him obviously.

Reactions: Christopher Jee

I don’t see it happening, unfortunately. It would be an awesome story, and I genuinely think he could do the job, but it looks like Spain will only be taking 3 forwards, and Costa, Aspas, and Rodrigo look to be the favorites for those spots. Morata is in the mix as well. Villa has the experience and always seems to show well for the National Team, I just don’t see them taking him

I don’t see it happening, unfortunately. It would be an awesome story, and I genuinely think he could do the job, but it looks like Spain will only be taking 3 forwards, and Costa, Aspas, and Rodrigo look to be the favorites for those spots. Morata is in the mix as well. Villa has the experience and always seems to show well for the National Team, I just don’t see them taking him
Sorry, but my reserve of good feeling for him being called up was exhausted by last year's fiasco and the ongoing string of international duty injuries we have suffered. I want nobody called up but the 2 Costa Ricans we already know about.

Sorry, but my reserve of good feeling for him being called up was exhausted by last year's fiasco and the ongoing string of international duty injuries we have suffered. I want nobody called up but the 2 Costa Ricans we already know about.
Oh I totally get that, especially consider the gauntlet of games we have in June. But the league would have a field day with it