2018 Roster Discussion

Interesting news out of The Athletic, which reports that Yangel Herrera resumed light workouts last week. The team is hopeful that he could return for the Playoffs. Doing so would require some roster manipulation, however, as there is not an international spot for him.

https://theathletic.com/466457/2018...ward-chance-with-castellanos-amagat-signings/
This is the kind of reporting I want to see about the club:
"Castellanos’ arrival has created some tension and alienation within the locker room, as some told The Athletic that they were upset with seeing the 19-year-old enter the starting lineup after just a week."
Not that I'm happy to hear that, but it's a view behind the scenes we usually never get.

This is the kind of reporting I want to see about the club:
"Castellanos’ arrival has created some tension and alienation within the locker room, as some told The Athletic that they were upset with seeing the 19-year-old enter the starting lineup after just a week."
Not that I'm happy to hear that, but it's a view behind the scenes we usually never get.
We had injuries last match, so it’ll be more interesting to see who’s sitting when full strength, because that could provide clues to who’s upset. It’s not as if he didn’t perform- 1G in first start ever is solid.

Reactions: COLINMOUTH
Interesting news out of The Athletic, which reports that Yangel Herrera resumed light workouts last week. The team is hopeful that he could return for the Playoffs. Doing so would require some roster manipulation, however, as there is not an international spot for him.

https://theathletic.com/466457/2018...ward-chance-with-castellanos-amagat-signings/

That part of the article isn't especially clear:

"Herrera began light training last week and the club believes it can find a way to put him back on the roster in time for the MLS Cup Playoffs. The most straightforward way to do that would have been to acquire an international spot. Instead, a league spokesperson confirmed that the replacement player would need to be removed from the roster in order for the original player to be eligible."

Was the league spokesperson refereing to a Season-Ending Injury Replacement Player? Herrera wasn't eligible for that because his injury occurred outside the Primary Transfer Window. And if NYCFC put him on the Season-Ending Injury List—as they would have had to do to free up his roster slot—he's ineligible to come back this year, plain and simple.* So it's hard to make sense of any of this.

*Okay fine it's not totally simple: NYCFC could argue that the rule prohibiting him from returning to "any remaining competition during that MLS season" doesn't include the postseason. But that doesn't sound like a winner, and MLS can read its own poorly written rules however it wants.

Last edited:
That part of the article isn't especially clear:

"Herrera began light training last week and the club believes it can find a way to put him back on the roster in time for the MLS Cup Playoffs. The most straightforward way to do that would have been to acquire an international spot. Instead, a league spokesperson confirmed that the replacement player would need to be removed from the roster in order for the original player to be eligible."

Was the league spokesperson refereing to a Season-Ending Injury Replacement Player? Herrera wasn't eligible for that because his injury occurred outside the Primary Transfer Window. And if NYCFC put him on the Season-Ending Injury List—as they would have had to do to free up his roster slot—he's ineligible to come back this year, plain and simple.* So it's hard to make sense of any of this.

*Okay fine it's not totally simple: NYCFC could argue that the rule prohibiting him from returning to "any remaining competition during that MLS season" doesn't include the postseason. But that doesn't sound like a winner.
Agreed it's less than clear. I think he's trying to say that because the Int'l slot that was assigned to Herrera was shifted to another player, we're not allowed to just buy another slot and apply it to Herrera if he returns. Now I'm not sure if that is true, but that seems to be his meaning. His discussion of the Season Ending list issue also was muddled but I wasn't sure the confusion was related.

Are we out of senior roster spots?

Not necessarily. But the same Season-Ending Injury List "roster relief" that would have freed up a senior roster slot (which we probably don't need) would have given us the freedom to use Herrera's international slot (which we do):

"An international player occupying an international roster slot who is added to the Season-Ending Injury List may be replaced with an international player."

Ah okay here we go: there's a parallel rule for the non-season-ending DL.

"An international player occupying an international slot who is added to the Disabled List may be replaced with an international player."

That must be what happened with Herrera. Assuming his replacement is Amagat I don't think anybody would have a problem with cutting him to add Herrera for the postseason.

Last edited:
We had injuries last match, so it’ll be more interesting to see who’s sitting when full strength, because that could provide clues to who’s upset. It’s not as if he didn’t perform- 1G in first start ever is solid.
I wonder if it was Lewis. Absolutely no evidence it was, just makes me think of him because it was reported that Lewis was expected to start and then didn’t. And we also know the struggle he has had to get into the starting XI

I wonder if it was Lewis. Absolutely no evidence it was, just makes me think of him because it was reported that Lewis was expected to start and then didn’t. And we also know the struggle he has had to get into the starting XI
This has been posted a couple times, but it was never reported that Lewis was expected to start. Kyle Schnitzer even posted multiple times on twitter that it was banter and speculation because Lewis did the player game preview video.

Reactions: gbservis
Honestly, I think it’s more likely to be somebody like TMac who is a veteran, (somehow) wears the armband for certain situations, plays Wing/Midfield, and is sitting on the bench. I’m sure him watching Valentin make outside runs in (TMac’s favorite) just left him simmering.

Honestly, I think it’s more likely to be somebody like TMac who is a veteran, (somehow) wears the armband for certain situations, plays Wing/Midfield, and is sitting on the bench. I’m sure him watching Valentin make outside runs in (TMac’s favorite) just left him simmering.

Tmac and Wallace have been give many opportunities and really have not produced , Lewis can complain because he has produced when given an opportunity. I think Castellano is going to play a lot and produce very well as he gets used to playing with the team so these players are going to have to play better in practice otherwise they are going to sit on the bench. Competition makes everyone better.

Tmac and Wallace have been give many opportunities and really have not produced , Lewis can complain because he has produced when given an opportunity. I think Castellano is going to play a lot and produce very well as he gets used to playing with the team so these players are going to have to play better in practice otherwise they are going to sit on the bench. Competition makes everyone better.
I don’t doubt that Lewis isn’t happy, but he’s a guy that hasn’t been getting time prior to Dome, and he probably wasn’t happy with PV, so for him not much has changed to affect the locker room.

I don’t doubt that Lewis isn’t happy, but he’s a guy that hasn’t been getting time prior to Dome, and he probably wasn’t happy with PV, so for him not much has changed to affect the locker room.
I can see Lewis wanting to leave nycfc. Let’s face it he is good enough to play on most teams in this league and he has stated he wants to play in Europe and the national team and playing bench minutes won’t get him there. He will not be happy sitting behind players especially when he has never been given a fair chance to start a game.

I can see Lewis wanting to leave nycfc. Let’s face it he is good enough to play on most teams in this league and he has stated he wants to play in Europe and the national team and playing bench minutes won’t get him there. He will not be happy sitting behind players especially when he has never been given a fair chance to start a game.
If Cuz says it, you can bank on it.

Bye, Jon. We hardly knew ye.

Good, I'm happy players are pissed off. They're supposed to be. Guess what? The kid scored a goal and showed pace we have been lacking this season. If you don't like it, do better. He's there to push you.
I’d buy this, but we’ve started Walton and U3 over Lewis.

So preach this to Dome’s burner. But not here.

Reactions: Kjbert