2018 Roster Discussion

For sake of arguing, I would say that three CB's is actually less flexible than anything with four in the back.

With attacking fullbacks, a 4-3-3 often plays like a 3-3-4 in the attack anyway, with one fullback charging up the sideline. If we want to be more attacking minded, release the fullbacks and play inverted wingers.

If we are just completely back to the drawing board, play a 4-2-2-2 and have the fullbacks bomb up as appropriate. If we need to play defensively and need to compensate with width in the attack, have the CAMs slide to LM/RM (Maxi, Isi). Berget and Villa up front. Ring and Herrera/Ofori as DMs.
Since you ok’d arguing.....

The problem with the offense generated by outside backs vs wingers is the overall ability on the ball in the box. Outside backs typically head to the endline and fire in crosses (ours to nobody). Wingers are typically better on the ball and hence have the ability to play in tight spaces and freelance. I’d personally rather have speedy wingers chip in on defense when needed but focus on punishing on the attack over defenders that may not be needed depending on tactics of opponent (ie one forward setup or even 2 with 4 defenders) who then push up into the attack but aren’t really capable of being wholly effective.

Minute detail question here. Would you rather have Ibby or Chanot in the middle of a back 3?

I think Ibby is better in the air, and thus that makes sense. But I feel like Chanot is better at organizing and is more vocal, and is also better on the ball than Ibby. I think weighing those items, I'd prefer to have Chanot in the middle, but I guess I wouldn't have a fit if it was Ibby there.
I think you play your better ball playing CB wide. In the middle Ibeagha only has to worry about make a short pass to the four players around him.

I think you play your better ball playing CB wide. In the middle Ibeagha only has to worry about make a short pass to the four players around him.
I was coming to post this. Chanot and Callens can charge forward. Less options playing the ball from the Wide CB positions. Both are terrific with the ball at their feet
These are both fair points. I do think Chanot does provide more from an organization standpoint being in the middle over Ibby, but I think what you've both pointed out would be enough to have Ibby in the middle.

Is this stadium related? New contracts for Callens, Ring, and Johnson? Reaching out for new season ticket holders for 2019?
Close up of poster from Kyle Schnitzer on Twitter.
DpPwfaUXUAIItJU.jpg

It's probably just a promo poster, like the one we got last year vs. Columbus. Free for those who go to the last home game, that is.

Back