2018 Roster Discussion

Keep in mind that Villalba signed in July 2016 and got loaned out to Xolos. If they started the green card process when he signed, then the process was more like 1.5 years, not just a couple months.

Keep in mind that Villalba signed in July 2016 and got loaned out to Xolos. If they started the green card process when he signed, then the process was more like 1.5 years, not just a couple months.
It still seems weird that Villa doesn't have one. He signed in 2014, started playing in 2015. Mata didn't start until 2016, and he got his green card last year

Nice job, Adam.

A few nitpicks. I think it is very likely that Medina will end up on the right if Harrison leaves. He is a similar player that likes to cut in from the right and take shots with his dominant left foot. I think that leaves Wallace on the left. Lewis and Tajouri are backups on the wings (take your pick on a side). While Berget can play wing, I think it is more accurate to put him behind Villa.

Reactions: adam
Nice job, Adam.

A few nitpicks. I think it is very likely that Medina will end up on the right if Harrison leaves. He is a similar player that likes to cut in from the right and take shots with his dominant left foot. I think that leaves Wallace on the left. Lewis and Tajouri are backups on the wings (take your pick on a side). While Berget can play wing, I think it is more accurate to put him behind Villa.

If true we are screwed. You're essentially projecting that we spent all that TAM and cap room to roll out 9 starters from last year, a replacement for Harrison and a new RB? I hope you're wrong and one of the other new attacking players outside of Medina are at least capable of challenging for a starting spot if not winning one and performing as a serious upgrade. The rest of the league just spent a bunch of TAM to upgrade their starters, if our plan is to essentially roll with our starters from last year with a bit more depth get ready for a lower finish.

A green card is for permant resident status. Being loaned out to Xolos would mean he’s not even in the US for a chunk of time for work, and that would nullify that segment of the process. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but the point of the green card is that you’re showing you’re living/working in the US, not simply for a US company.

Nice job, Adam.

I don't think we see Wallace start on the left regularly, only in case of injury or card accumulation or the occasional rest day.

I know Medina likes to cut into his left, and so does Jack, but remember that our wingers do a fair bit of switching sides throughout the match, so they would both be able to do so.

Updated with all the camp invites. Jack is still on there till we know otherwise. I'm not sure where all these kids fit in a 433, but I did my best to guess by their size or what little I could google.

View attachment 7919
Looking at this, especially how our midfield shapes up, we definitely need to bring in one more midfielder.

Interestingly, I think if one of our starting 3 midfielders go down, I think we then move either Medina or Jack back to the 10 and shift the midfield accordingly.

Example:
  • Maxi goes down, Medina or Jack to #10 and Berget starts (or possibly Tajouri/Wallace/Lewis)
  • Herrera goes down, Medina or Jack to #10, Maxi to #8, Berget starts
  • Ring goes down, Medina or Jack to #10, Maxi to #8, Herrera to #6
Outside of US Open Cup (and of course PV roster decisions that will boggle my mind), I don't see how TMac gets playing time this year.

Looking at this, especially how our midfield shapes up, we definitely need to bring in one more midfielder.

Interestingly, I think if one of our starting 3 midfielders go down, I think we then move either Medina or Jack back to the 10 and shift the midfield accordingly.

Example:
  • Maxi goes down, Medina or Jack to #10 and Berget starts (or possibly Tajouri/Wallace/Lewis)
  • Herrera goes down, Medina or Jack to #10, Maxi to #8, Berget starts
  • Ring goes down, Medina or Jack to #10, Maxi to #8, Herrera to #6
Outside of US Open Cup (and of course PV roster decisions that will boggle my mind), I don't see how TMac gets playing time this year.

So you think Jack is staying put?

So you think Jack is staying put?
I'm honestly not sure, reports seem to be certain he is, but I feel like his presence there yesterday is a bit telling.

But yes, if he leaves, that does change things from my scenario laid out above. Though I still think we would have better winger depth and bringing Medina down to the #10 and starting a winger combo of Berget/Wallace/Tajouri/Lewis would be better than TMac or someone else in the midfield (note: I do think Tajouri is more of a winger than a MF).

Reactions: Ulrich and adam
I've been assuming he is leaving - hence my post above about Medina moving to the right. However, his presence in camp yesterday makes clear that this is not a done deal and that the issues the parties are working out are real ones.

Reactions: Kjbert
If true we are screwed. You're essentially projecting that we spent all that TAM and cap room to roll out 9 starters from last year, a replacement for Harrison and a new RB? I hope you're wrong and one of the other new attacking players outside of Medina are at least capable of challenging for a starting spot if not winning one and performing as a serious upgrade. The rest of the league just spent a bunch of TAM to upgrade their starters, if our plan is to essentially roll with our starters from last year with a bit more depth get ready for a lower finish.

I think you are underestimating the degree to which we have upgraded our reserves and how important the top of the bench is. As last year indicated, the top reserve at each position (F, CM, FB, CB) is going to get starters' minutes over the course of the season, so big upgrades there can make a real improvement.

I tend to agree that other teams are improving substantially, so treading water isn't an option. I just think adding really good pieces off the bench is substantial too.

It still seems weird that Villa doesn't have one. He signed in 2014, started playing in 2015. Mata didn't start until 2016, and he got his green card last year

The club hasn’t announced that villa has one...yet. But yeah, strange that Villa doesn’t have one considering the amount of time and energy he has put into establishing himself in the US.

I can’t believe Villalba has a green card after being here for less than 12 months. If so, then seriously get some better lawyers NYCFC.

Reactions: Kjbert
F / Berget, Villa, Medina / Tajouri, Wallace, Lewis
M / Maxi, Herrera, Ring / McNamara, Sands
D / Matarrita, Callens, Chanot, Tinnerholm / Hountondji, Sweat, Abdul-Salaam

A green card is for permant resident status. Being loaned out to Xolos would mean he’s not even in the US for a chunk of time for work, and that would nullify that segment of the process. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but the point of the green card is that you’re showing you’re living/working in the US, not simply for a US company.
I think this is right. I don't think you can leave the USA for a substantial amount of time while applying for a Green Card. It tends to undermine the reason you need it.

I don't think we see Wallace start on the left regularly, only in case of injury or card accumulation or the occasional rest day.

I know Medina likes to cut into his left, and so does Jack, but remember that our wingers do a fair bit of switching sides throughout the match, so they would both be able to do so.
I think Wallace will likely start when we want to press or need defensive help. It would be a massive statement of the quality of others if he starts less than half of the matches where he's available.

It would be great if he could be a sub option to come in and run his ass off for 30. But it's just as likely he starts and runs his ass off for 60. I'm sticking with that being the probable PV MO until we have some proof of the quality elsewhere.

F / Berget, Villa, Medina / Tajouri, Wallace, Lewis
M / Maxi, Herrera, Ring / McNamara, Sands
D / Matarrita, Callens, Chanot, Tinnerholm / Hountondji, Sweat, Abdul-Salaam

And out of those 18 players, two won't even make the gameday squad when we're at full strength. This team has the depth to challenge Toronto if these signings are all as good as we think they are.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
It was a 6 month loan that ended December 2016, that still put his process over a year. I don't know if they did this, but Xolos is also very easy to hop across the border. I remember that Kekuta Mennah actually lived in Washington state while playing for the Whitecaps.

Pardon the ignorance. Does a green card have any impact on your tax status? Do certain countries, such as Spain, give certain implications to it's citizens who get a foreign status? Does age and familial status impact your process (Villa is older, married and has children as opposed to Mata and Villalba)?
Just trying to come up with reasons why Villa does not have one yet.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Pardon the ignorance. Does a green card have any impact on your tax status? Do certain countries, such as Spain, give certain implications to it's citizens who get a foreign status? Does age and familial status impact your process (Villa is older, married and has children as opposed to Mata and Villalba)?
Just trying to come up with reasons why Villa does not have one yet.

Yes, a green card would establish someone as a permanent resident vs non-resident alien. Generally a non-resident would have additional responsibilities when they leave the country to prove they have settled their American tax liability.
Generally countries of citizenship don’t care about someone taking residence elsewhere. They’ll still happily tax your income!
More paperwork with a family so presumably more time.
The reason not to have one is if he plans to reside somewhere else once he retires. Getting a green card is a process, so even though it helps our roster flexibility I don’t think we should assume anyone will automatically pursue one just to help navigate MLS rules.

Last edited:
I think this is right. I don't think you can leave the USA for a substantial amount of time while applying for a Green Card. It tends to undermine the reason you need it.

This is correct. If you applied for a green card, but don't yet have it, you have to stay put. Otherwise, you apply for "advanced parole" to travel, which is a bitch to get authorized.

While I was waiting for mine, it took so long to process that I very nearly missed my own wedding ceremony in Scotland.

Buutttt, to keep this on topic... Yeah, someone applying for a green card couldn't then skedaddle to another country to play on loan while they waited.