2018 Roster Discussion

If the rumors that City paid 4 million for Medina, he will likely be a DP. http://www.tigosports.com.py/futbol/jesus-medina-viajo-a-estados-unidos

Did NYCFC pay or did CFG/Man City pay $4mm? Big distinction. Same way we got Yangel. CFG uses the 4 Man City developmental players allotment we got as part of our expansion agreement (we duped MLS into thinking that meant the Shay faceys ans Angelinos of the system) to circumvent to cap by signing them there and losing them here. Just keep them to a low base salary and high signing bonus.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Did NYCFC pay or did CFG/Man City pay $4mm? Big distinction. Same way we got Yangel. CFG uses the 4 Man City developmental players allotment we got as part of our expansion agreement (we duped MLS into thinking that meant the Shay faceys ans Angelinos of the system) to circumvent to cap by signing them there and losing them here. Just keep them to a low base salary and high signing bonus.

Am i going crazy here, or did I reply to a comment that was moved to another thread by a mod? But my response was left in the original thread. And the mod then replied to that comment in the new thread he moved it to. Idk, maybe I just had too much scotch tonight...

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Am i going crazy here, or did I reply to a comment that was moved to another thread by a mod? But my response was left in the original thread. And the mod then replied to that comment in the new thread he moved it to. Idk, maybe I just had too much scotch tonight...

Moved roster news to the roster thread. The reply somehow ended up in the offseason thread.

Let's try to keep a distinction everyone roster thread is for roster news. Offseason thread is for everything else, but mainly preseason games and training.

Did NYCFC pay or did CFG/Man City pay $4mm? Big distinction. The same way we got Yangel. CFG uses the 4 Man City developmental players allotment we got as part of our expansion agreement (we duped MLS into thinking that meant the Shay faceys and Angelinos of the system) to circumvent to cap by signing them there and losing them here. Just keep them to a low base salary and high signing bonus.
So it seems like Yangel did not count as a DP because CFG is paying his transfer fee in installments. His transfer fee still counts towards the cap, but its not big enough to bump Yangel up to a DP or TAM player. If CFG pays a transfer fee on a player they loan to NYCFC, MLS is charging what CFG pays towards our budget.

Angelino and Facey faced no problems because they were academy players. CFG did not pay a fee for them when they were loaned to us.

We will have to see when he is officially announced. If he is not a DP, it probably means CFG made a similar installment deal to make him a TAM or an under max budget player.

So it seems like Yangel did not count as a DP because CFG is paying his transfer fee in installments. His transfer fee still counts towards the cap, but its not big enough to bump Yangel up to a DP or TAM player. If CFG pays a transfer fee on a player they loan to NYCFC, MLS is charging what CFG pays towards our budget.

Angelino and Facey faced no problems because they were academy players. CFG did not pay a fee for them when they were loaned to us.

We will have to see when he is officially announced. If he is not a DP, it probably means CFG made a similar installment deal to make him a TAM or an under max budget player.

Even if CFG buys the player for their academy. Then loans him to us?

And where did you get that Yangel contract info?

Reactions: Kjbert
Even if CFG buys the player for their academy. Then loans him to us?

And where did you get that Yangel contract info?

An MLS spokesperson clarified that Herrera will not be a Designated Player nor will NYCFC have to use Targeted Allocation Money to pay Herrera’s budget charge. However, NYCFC will be charged the amount that Manchester City is paying Herrera in salary in 2017 as well as transfer payments made to Atletico Venezuela.

If Manchester City had paid the $3 million up front, Herrera would have to be a DP. That Herrera isn’t suggests that Manchester is paying Atletico Venezuela in installments which would significantly reduce his budget charge for a year. MLS determines the budget charge of players loaned between clubs with common ownership through a thorough review of all related documents including contracts and transfer agreements.
http://www.empireofsoccer.com/nycfc-acquires-herrera-on-loan-from-manchester-city-57903/

But something doesn’t add up. Yagel’s salary is $123,557. What did they do, amortize the $3mm over 10 years to keep him below DP? And if they didn’t use TAM, they’d need a ton of GAM to fit him into the cap.

View attachment 7806

Those salary figures are from MLSPU, have to imagine that's his base salary and doesn't include his transfer fee.

Those salary figures are from MLSPU, have to imagine that's his base salary and doesn't include his transfer fee.

Correct. But DP threshold in 2017 was $480,000. So that’s $356,000 difference. So A. They had to have amortized that transfer fee over 10 years or more (which isn’t realistic). And B. even if they did it for 10 years; he’d be $423,000 vs the cap. If TAM was not used, we’d need to have used a boatload of GAM on him to stay under the cap. And this was a player we didn’t even consider a starter to begin the season. Something doesn’t add up.

Correct. But DP threshold in 2017 was $480,000. So that’s $356,000 difference. So A. They had to have amortized that transfer fee over 10 years or more (which isn’t realistic). And B. even if they did it for 10 years; he’d be $423,000 vs the cap. If TAM was not used, we’d need to have used a boatload of GAM on him to stay under the cap. And this was a player we didn’t even consider a starter to begin the season. Something doesn’t add up.
We may have LA Galaxied the system?

Reactions: Sabo and adam
giphy.gif

Could have also just made a deal for very low transfer payments the first two years, and the rest after year 3. I wonder if that is the reason that CFG only bought 80% of Medina as a quid pro quo for structuring his deal similarly. I will be very pissed if we are spending a DP slot on a loanee that NYCFC is not purchasing outright.

Reactions: adam

To me Empire of Soccer's explanation sounds like an assumption: that Herrera's transfer had to be paid in installments so he wouldn't be a DP. It doesn't sound like they have a source for that assumption, though.

The answer could just as easily be that because CFG paid the fee, MLS didn't apply it to Herrera's cost. MLS could rationalize it based on our deal to get loanees from Man City, as mentioned above. It definitely wouldn't be the first time that MLS has allowed a marquee team to gain a competitive advantage from its rules.

In sum, like Empire of Soccer we're looking for ways to rationalize Herrera's transfer within MLS rules when the answer might well be that MLS tweaked or ignored its rules instead.

To me Empire of Soccer's explanation sounds like an assumption: that Herrera's transfer had to be paid in installments so he wouldn't be a DP. It doesn't sound like they have a source for that assumption, though.

The answer could just as easily be that because CFG paid the fee, MLS didn't apply it to Herrera's cost. MLS could rationalize it based on our deal to get loanees from Man City, as mentioned above. It definitely wouldn't be the first time that MLS has allowed a marquee team to gain a competitive advantage from its rules.

In sum, like Empire of Soccer we're looking for ways to rationalize Herrera's transfer within MLS rules when the answer might well be that MLS tweaked or ignored its rules instead.
Who the hell are you, and why don't you post more often?