2018 Roster Discussion

What's a bit surprising is that Ring got his Green Card in a year... I had no idea it could be processed that quickly. I wonder if, in addition to his job with a multi-year contract (extended tax revenue), having a child born here had any impact on the process? Obviously it's different from the tourist-visa babies that are born solely to gain citizenship, because he was already here on an extended work visa, but once the child was born, did it lends credence to his desire to stay stateside for the long term? Maybe he pledged his kid's NT allegiance/career to the US as collateral [kidding]?

or maybe the process really is that fast for some???
all good speculation

So 5 International Only USOC Roster:

Johnson, Abdul-Salaam, Chanot, Callens*, Matarrita, Ring, Herrera*, Moralez*, Lewis, Medina*, Villa*

Subs: Stuver, Sweat, McNamara, Ibeagha, Awuah, Sands, Wallace

We're going to need to sign some homegrowns because I've exhausted our domestic/green card list.
I know you're going here for best possible USOC Roster, but considering that we do have some good talent, and that Callens still occupies an international spot, I'd like to see Cedric swapped in for Callens for at least the first USOC match.

What's a bit surprising is that Ring got his Green Card in a year... I had no idea it could be processed that quickly. I wonder if, in addition to his job with a multi-year contract (extended tax revenue), having a child born here had any impact on the process? Obviously it's different from the tourist-visa babies that are born solely to gain citizenship, because he was already here on an extended work visa, but once the child was born, did it lends credence to his desire to stay stateside for the long term? Maybe he pledged his kid's NT allegiance/career to the US as collateral [kidding]?

or maybe the process really is that fast for some???
This is some good speculation, but I'm not certain if having a child born here impacts it much.

One of my colleagues moved here from the UK with his wife and was working here on a visa and they had a child here. His visa expired and he or his wife weren't able to get a new one and they had to move back to the UK. This happened just two months ago.

Now granted, the situation I'm laying out above is in regards to getting a new visa and not a green card, so perhaps I'm comparing granny smith apples to red delicious apples, but its a data point.

Reactions: Ulrich
This is some good speculation, but I'm not certain if having a child born here impacts it much.

One of my colleagues moved here from the UK with his wife and was working here on a visa and they had a child here. His visa expired and he or his wife weren't able to get a new one and they had to move back to the UK. This happened just two months ago.

Now granted, the situation I'm laying out above is in regards to getting a new visa and not a green card, so perhaps I'm comparing granny smith apples to red delicious apples, but its a data point.
If the visa expired, that’s a bigger issue. Ring pretty much has a guaranteed visa, and probably via the special section for individuals with exceptional ability/top of profession (since he’s on his NT), so the fact he has a visa tied to a multi-year contract, he’s in a better situation than your friend.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
its up now....sweat on the supplemental roster is interesting because it means he is only making the minimum senior salary 67k. Caldwell not up there.
He is only one year out of the USL, so he was signed at that rate, and even with his banner season last year, any bump would still be semi governed by that contract. As long as he continues to play at a “high” level (starting quality with offensive production), then he’ll get a more significant increase next contract ($125-150k range give/take???).

He is only one year out of the USL, so he was signed at that rate, and even with his banner season last year, any bump would still be semi governed by that contract. As long as he continues to play at a “high” level (starting quality with offensive production), then he’ll get a more significant increase next contract ($125-150k range give/take???).
Didn't he sign a new contract this offseason?

Didn't he sign a new contract this offseason?
Maybe, not sure. Thought it was just a performance bump (ie play x games qualifies for a raise type thing) but maybe they tore it up and wrote a new one??? If a new one, it’s pretty crappy that he’s still not even on the senior team, unless it’s more years that are guaranteed - that is a win for him if so.

If the visa expired, that’s a bigger issue. Ring pretty much has a guaranteed visa, and probably via the special section for individuals with exceptional ability/top of profession (since he’s on his NT), so the fact he has a visa tied to a multi-year contract, he’s in a better situation than your friend.

From what I've heard, Ring is content with the team getting stronger, the league, the city, his position in the club. The only question mark would be, is he getting the wages he'd get in a strong European league? He'll turn 27 next month, and I suppose he's considering his options. Would he opt for a top four league spot in Europe with higher wages? I think so. But to me he seems to be more of a team player than one going for the China route, if not a good European offer isn't on the cards. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed a new, better contract soon, and a longer contract, too.

hes paying those taxes anyway. NY source income
Speaking of tax, if a team is visiting another state, do players have to file that states income tax at year end? Does it mean a players has to file many state taxes at year end? That would be super tedious

Speaking of tax, if a team is visiting another state, do players have to file that states income tax at year end? Does it mean a players has to file many state taxes at year end? That would be super tedious
Often. Although, it can vary is the right answer.

ETA: factors could be how the contracts are written, where the checks come from, whether team has nexus with the other state. MLB players, I’m nearly certain, have to pay state taxes on a per game basis to the site’s state. I am not sure if NFL does the same.

If it’s different, I’d argue that it’s a lot to do with the difference between playing 15 times somewhere vs. 1 time like MLS/NFL.

Last edited:
Often. Although, it can vary is the right answer.

ETA: factors could be how the contracts are written, where the checks come from, whether team has nexus with the other state. MLB players, I’m nearly certain, have to pay state taxes on a per game basis to the site’s state. I am not sure if NFL does the same.

If it’s different, I’d argue that it’s a lot to do with the difference between playing 15 times somewhere vs. 1 time like MLS/NFL.
I think it is true of all sports today, and if so, I am sure the league/teams/agents provide resources to just handle it for the players.

I think NY was the first state to chase this money from athletes. Once they started making so much, it was just low hanging fruit.

I think it is true of all sports today, and if so, I am sure the league/teams/agents provide resources to just handle it for the players.

I think NY was the first state to chase this money from athletes. Once they started making so much, it was just low hanging fruit.
Wait, so anybody that does any work in another state has to pay taxes in that state, even if your home base, and where your check is being cut, is in your home state? I get it if you live in N.J. and work in the City, you pay NY and N.J. taxes, but if you have a project in Georgia (or another state) that you fly down to for some time during the year (I’m thinking of SoupInNYC SoupInNYC because I know he travels a ton for work) then you’d have to pay state tax in that state? That just seems laborious and reaching (by the state) - I guess it has to do with where the contract is held/signed, but it seems like where you draw your check is more important. Because if a worker is subject to any state they work in, Airline pilots/crew, or truckers, or any number of occupations (like a manager that overseas a regional or national account and makes frequent trip) would be royally screwed and a CPA’s best friend.

Edit: welp, just read SoupInNYC SoupInNYC ’s post. That’s crazy!

I'd be surprised of all professional athletes were not taxed based on the state they are playing in and have to file multiple state returns every year. Good thing for them is they are making decent money and should easily be able to have an accountant do it for them.

I work in consulting for a accounting firm and have to log my hours based on the state I am physically working in. Its quite common for me to have to file 4-5 different state returns every year.

Wait, so anybody that does any work in another state has to pay taxes in that state, even if your home base, and where your check is being cut, is in your home state? I get it if you live in N.J. and work in the City, you pay NY and N.J. taxes, but if you have a project in Georgia (or another state) that you fly down to for some time during the year (I’m thinking of SoupInNYC SoupInNYC because I know he travels a ton for work) then you’d have to pay state tax in that state? That just seems laborious and reaching (by the state) - I guess it has to do with where the contract is held/signed, but it seems like where you draw your check is more important. Because if a worker is subject to any state they work in, Airline pilots/crew, or truckers, or any number of occupations (like a manager that overseas a regional or national account and makes frequent trip) would be royally screwed and a CPA’s best friend.
Lol, great timing.

Yeah, it basically depends on the state and their tax rules.

Before, when I lived in Maryland, but my office was in Virginia, my W-4 was set up that even though I was often working in VA, I would not be taxed there, but instead in MD where I was a resident. However, if I traveled elsewhere and worked there, I would potentially be taxed there, but there are some exceptions. States like FL, TX, and WA you won't be because they have no state income tax. Some states have thresholds you have to meet before you are taxed (I'm not certain what some of these are, just find out I've crossed it once I get a W-2 for that state). Some states have no thresholds and you'll get taxed if you work 1 hour in it (I believe CA is one of these).

Reactions: adam
Also, to further expand on this, I think it greatly depends on what type of work you do. Since I do work for a firm that provides audit, tax, and consulting services, we have pretty strict controls around where we log our time considering we help make sure other companies adhere to these rules from a tax standpoint as well as we bill by the hour, so logging hours is important.

On the flip side, my dad works in sales for a large trucking company and often travels all over the country, but he isn't required to log his hours or where he is physically working. So at the end of the day, he only gets one W-2 from his company and has the 1 state return.

Does single entity vs franchise status matter at all? In the NFL, the team is own and registered in their respective city. With MLS all the teams are owned by a New York organization, thought it may be registered in a Delaware or something.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Does single entity vs franchise status matter at all? In the NFL, the team is own and registered in their respective city. With MLS all the teams are owned by a New York organization, thought it may be registered in a Delaware or something.

You have to claim the taxes based on where they are sourced (where you made the money). Then you can get a credit on the state where you live for those taxes paid.

To further expand... if you are playing in New York and live in New York thats all NY income.

If you go play a game in New Jersey. It is still all New York income, you will pay the amount owed to New Jersey for that one game and then you will take a credit on your New York tax return for the amount you paid to New Jersey.