2018 Schedule

LA is a good place to be in February. ;)

Edit: someone remind me to give you all the date tomorrow because I'll forget about this post.
Reminder, boom.

It may be 5AM by you, but it's 8AM here in NY so I'm going to need you to give us the info you've got. Many thanks.

NYCFC will travel to face the LA Galaxy on 2/10/18 for preseason.
I'm guessing they will probably hang out there and train for a week or two. If I remember correctly they have facilities which can accommodate multiple teams at a time. It could also closely follow camp cupcake, if they do it this year, being convenient for some of our youngsters.
SJ, would probably be called. Who else? Assuming they go with all youngsters, maybe JLew gets a look. Khiry lol, if Sarachan is still in charge it wouldn't surprise me.

Sorry folks, that's all I have for now, will update as I go along.

Reactions: Kjbert
NYCFC will travel to face the LA Galaxy on 2/10/18 for preseason.
Team just announced this as their first preseason match on their site:

Today, the first of New York City FC’s 2018 preseason exhibition matches has been confirmed. Ahead of the team’s fourth MLS campaign, NYCFC will take on the LA Galaxy at the StubHub Center in Carson, CA on February 10, 2018.

The Boys in Blue travel to California on February 4 where they will train on the West Coast prior to this friendly vs. the Galaxy on Saturday, February 10 at 7 p.m. PT.

Head Coach Patrick Vieira said: “We are looking forward to our friendly versus the LA Galaxy as it promises to be a really good test for us as we prepare for the 2018 MLS Season.

“Our league matches against LA have always been entertaining – the Galaxy always have a strong collective and a number of quality individual talents. This game will be a really important moment for us in preseason as we look to integrate new players into our squad and build our chemistry and rhythm on the field.”

This friendly will mark the fourth meeting between the teams following City’s 2-0 win at LA in August, courtesy of goals from Jonathan Lewis and David Villa, as well as a Man of the Match performance from Sean Johnson.

Tickets for this match will go on sale on December 12 at LAGalaxy.com.

Further preseason plans for NYCFC will be announced soon.

Anyone want to put a bet that we start Game 1 on the road. Game 2 home. And Game 34 at home vs. Columbus for the third consecutive time?

Reactions: Kjbert
Anyone want to put a bet that we start Game 1 on the road. Game 2 home. And Game 34 at home vs. Columbus for the third consecutive time?

I think the nearest to certainty is Games 31-33 Away and G-34 at Home. There's no reason for it to be Columbus.

One of these years they will surprise us and have Game 1 at home. There are not enough warm weather teams to avoid all cold weather sites in Week 1, as evidenced by opening in Chicago in 2016.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gotham Gator
Just looking at the possible home and away games and with LAFC joining the league this upcoming season we will be losing a 3rd game vs another Eastern conference team.

Previous History of 3 Game Series

2015 - NYRB, NE, ORL, MTL, PHI, TOR
2016 - NYRB, NE, ORL, DC, CHI, CLB
2017 - NYRB, NE, ORL (** ATL / MIN expansion)
2018 - NYRB, ? (**LAFC expansion)

We know the 3rd game against NYRB isn't going anywhere, so we'll only face one other Eastern Conference team a third time. Chances are it's going to be New England or Orlando.

Eastern Conference
Home and Away x 8 = 16
Home-Away-Home vs Red Bulls = 3
Away-Home-Away vs Orlando or New England = 3

TOTAL VS. EAST: 22

Western Conference
DAL - Home
RSL - Home
COL - Home
VAN - Home
LAG - Home
SKC - Away
POR - Away
SEA - Away
MIN - Away
SJ - Away
HOU - Away
LAFC - Home (** Just a guess but it would balance the home/away schedule)

TOTAL VS. WEST: 12

TOTAL GAMES: 34

Following up on this...

Given we're playing home and away of all Eastern Conferences teams at least once plus Red Bulls again at home plus the existing Western Conference teams that leaves the following three scenarios to fill out our remaining two games.

We've had Home Games vs. NE: 2 in 2015, 1 in 2016, 2 in 2017...

That means if our second three game series vs. Eastern Conference team is New England, we'd play them twice on the road and have LAFC at home.

We've had Home Games vs. ORL: 1 in 2015, 2, in 2016, 1 in 2017...

That means if our second three game series vs. Eastern Conference team is Orlando, we'd play them twice at home and have LAFC on the road.

That's the one thing left to predict in our schedule, aside from the order of our matchdays.

Reactions: Jon
Following up on this...

Given we're playing home and away of all Eastern Conferences teams at least once plus Red Bulls again at home plus the existing Western Conference teams that leaves the following three scenarios to fill out our remaining two games.

We've had Home Games vs. NE: 2 in 2015, 1 in 2016, 2 in 2017...

That means if our second three game series vs. Eastern Conference team is New England, we'd play them twice on the road and have LAFC at home.

We've had Home Games vs. ORL: 1 in 2015, 2, in 2016, 1 in 2017...

That means if our second three game series vs. Eastern Conference team is Orlando, we'd play them twice at home and have LAFC on the road.

That's the one thing left to predict in our schedule, aside from the order of our matchdays.
Prediction: Our second extra game will be New England. Orlando and Atlanta will play each other 4 times.

Prediction: Our second extra game will be New England. Orlando and Atlanta will play each other 4 times.

No team will play each other four times....

We'll see Orlando play Atlanta three times and then since I can't think of another team they would play three times it would be us and we get LAFC on the road.

its gonna be us and atlanta 3 times and not NE...maybe even play Toronto 3 times instead of orlando as well...for the tv hype

I actually think they will go with a different total number of games.

ETA: And I actually thought I identified the problem and you proffered the 4 game solution.
Did I. I thought you came up with the 4 game idea and I just guessed at who it would be. In any event, I think we agree there's no ignoring the math. What do you mean by "different total number of games." Something other than 34 per team?

Did I. I thought you came up with the 4 game idea and I just guessed at who it would be. In any event, I think we agree there's no ignoring the math. What do you mean by "different total number of games." Something other than 34 per team?

Yeah, something other than 34. Don't have time to really noodle on it right now, but I have to think a different overall figure would move things around to something more palatable.

Reactions: mgarbowski
By the way, I think the imbalance between East and West may lead to some scheduling quirks that we are not anticipating.

Now, I am sure there is a way around this, but I haven’t noodled on it long enough to figure out the alternatives. I suspect we may go to an odd number of games this year, or otherwise change things in ways that might surprise people.
I think this works and is a likely solution. 2 teams in the East play each other 4 times, and the other 9 East team 2x. Then the remaining 9 East teams play 3 games against 2 of the 9, and 2 games against the other 7 and against the first 2. It works out.
And my guess would be Atlanta/Orlando for the 4 games.

Reactions: mgarbowski