2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target vs. Atletico Madrid - Orlando, July 31

I can't believe I didn't put 2 and 2 together on that until now.

I was so pissed at Pep's disrespect after that moment.
Porter had the All Stars hacking at Bayern's legs in a preseason friendly!! Pep's disrespect? Gator please, I know you're smarter than putting that on Pep.

Reactions: adam
Porter had the All Stars hacking at Bayern's legs in a preseason friendly!! Pep's disrespect? Gator please, I know you're smarter than putting that on Pep.

I think it's a bit of a stretch that an All-Star game coach has enough influence over the leagues best players most of whom he's never coached that he can effectively drive a strategy to hack the other team. The all-stars played hard like a group of guys with something to prove and Pep/Byren acted like a bunch of babies because the MLS players didn't bow down to them and play like it was a retired legends charity game.

I think it's a bit of a stretch that an All-Star game coach has enough influence over the leagues best players most of whom he's never coached that he can effectively drive a strategy to hack the other team. The all-stars played hard like a group of guys with something to prove and Pep/Byren acted like a bunch of babies because the MLS players didn't bow down to them and play like it was a retired legends charity game.

still a charity for the owners/MLS though.

i didnt see yesterdays game but happy maxi is ok, now to get rest for next weeks games.

EDIT: Prove what though? that they can hang with a preseason squad?

It's a friendly game in which one team was playing its second or third game after being off all summer beginning to get into fitness. There's absolutely no reason as to why MLS players who are playing in a pointless game should be sliding into players' ankles as if the game meant something. What are these guys trying to prove exactly? It's not like they're getting a million dollar bonus for scoring goals or gaining anything for themselves or their club teams by playing hard. If anything, they should've played half assedly like last night and enjoy the time playing with fellow players and friends. No one is asking or expecting them to bow down to Bayern. But they shouldn't be going 100% when the other team's fitness is 60%.
Again, what is a group of European greats or young kids trying to prove vs. a team with players barely fit to play for 45 minutes? Do we want what happened in the Liverpool v. Sevilla friendly last month where a player is kicking out at another in a move that could break someone's shins?

It's a friendly game in which one team was playing its second or third game after being off all summer beginning to get into fitness. There's absolutely no reason as to why MLS players who are playing in a pointless game should be sliding into players' ankles as if the game meant something. What are these guys trying to prove exactly? It's not like they're getting a million dollar bonus for scoring goals or gaining anything for themselves or their club teams by playing hard. If anything, they should've played half assedly like last night and enjoy the time playing with fellow players and friends. No one is asking or expecting them to bow down to Bayern. But they shouldn't be going 100% when the other team's fitness is 60%.
Again, what is a group of European greats or young kids trying to prove vs. a team with players barely fit to play for 45 minutes? Do we want what happened in the Liverpool v. Sevilla friendly last month where a player is kicking out at another in a move that could break someone's shins?

I think the general problem is the concept of the game. I don't disagree that Bayern are no where near fit but why do the MLS players have to adjust to accommodate that. A better solution to me is to do away with the concept all together. Bayren and these other teams should stick with things like the international champions cup where they play other not yet fit clubs of similar caliber. MLS can back to East vs. West or play an all star team from another in season league. I think all players understand that you don't clean people out in friendlies and I honestly don't think anything that egregious happened in the Bayern game. But as long as the format is the way it is I can't get behind expecting ultra competitive MLS players in full mid season form to dial it way down to the level Bayern clearly expected them to just because some team has agreed to play them knowing they are only partially fit. It's a showcase game for the league, it's on national TV, it sucks for the league and the viewing experience when the players sleep walk it and get crushed by some super clubs B team like they did last night. What good is that for anyone?

I think the general problem is the concept of the game. I don't disagree that Bayern are no where near fit but why do the MLS players have to adjust to accommodate that. A better solution to me is to do away with the concept all together. Bayren and these other teams should stick with things like the international champions cup where they play other not yet fit clubs of similar caliber. MLS can back to East vs. West or play an all star team from another in season league. I think all players understand that you don't clean people out in friendlies and I honestly don't think anything that egregious happened in the Bayern game. But as long as the format is the way it is I can't get behind expecting ultra competitive MLS players in full mid season form to dial it way down to the level Bayern clearly expected them to just because some team has agreed to play them knowing they are only partially fit. It's a showcase game for the league, it's on national TV, it sucks for the league and the viewing experience when the players sleep walk it and get crushed by some super clubs B team like they did last night. What good is that for anyone?
I agree. The concept worked 5-10 years ago to draw more eyes onto the league and get people to watch a game between a league's best players and a popular/strong/well known team from Europe. Now that there are more eyes on the league we don't need bullshit publicity games like this. An East v. West game would be fun and interesting to see how the best from each conference stack up vs. one another.

I'd even say have more fun with it and have 7v7 or 5v5 games similar to the NHL. Split the teams up into 4 regions ((NW, SW, NE, SE) or (West, Central, East, and Canada)). The League has changed drastically the past 10 years, it's time for the All Star game to as well.

My recollection of the game was that there were a couple of hard fouls that were more about playing hard than playing dirty. I also didn't really think it was all that pervasive by the MLS players.

I also remember the MLS All-Stars winning on a goal by former Bayern trialist, Landon Donovan.

I thought Pep's behavior was petulant and a slap in the face of not only Porter, but the league as whole.

Reactions: gbservis