2021 Roster Discussion

a few of these guys already had shots in Europe. You can’t tell me that a guy that scores 25 goals in Brazil can’t play here.
Pity and Barco both are just "eh" players.

I'm not saying that they can't, I'm saying that it's not a "proven" formula. You can strike out just the same

That worked out so well for Atlanta, didn't it now?
It's super counter factual but I would wonder how he would have produced for Tata or if even Atlanta picked the right manager to replace him.
This was going to be a lost season for Atlanta regardless of whether or not Pity produced anything, so the fact they were able to sell him for a profit was a big win.

They’re blowing it up. Enjoy the rebuild everyone. Quite possibly the second best LB in MLS.

We’re turning into RedBulls. We even share a stadium.

They’re blowing it up. Enjoy the rebuild everyone. Quite possibly the second best LB in MLS.

Is David Lee turning into a hatchet man?

Remaining Highest Guaranteed Compensation left on the NYCFC roster (2019 $ Salary, 2020 was not released)
1. Maxi Moralez - $2,000,000.04 (DP, $612,500 salary budget charge)
2. Jesus Medina - $870,833.33 (Turns 24 on April 30, unsure about Young DP status $612,500 vs. $200,000 budget charge)
3. Heber - $788,750.04
4. Alex Callens - $664,000.00
5. Maxime Chanot - $650,000.04
6. Anton Tinnerholm - $546,800.00
7. Alexandru Mitrita - $500,00.04 (DP, On Loan)
8. Ronald Matarrita - $420,000.00
9. Sean Johnson - $399,999.96
10. Ismael Tajouri-Shradi - $380,500.04
11. Valentin Castellanos - $274,806.41

I'm perfectly fine moving away from Matarrita. He's a good player in a regular game, but he collapses in the biggest games. If we want to win anything, we can't do it with Matarrita on the field. How many Derbies, playoff games, or CCL games did he fall apart in. This is about winning the big games.

And further, let's wait to see what they do in the transfer market. Maybe they bring in someone as good or better, with a track record of being on title teams. They have a ton of salary cap space, they can afford to layer over the guys they think won't help them get to the promised land.

And I'm not convinced this is a rebuild. A midfield of Maxi, Parks, Sands is still among the top midfields in the league. If they make the right signings up front, they will be right among the top teams in the league. Hopefully it's a retool.

Is David Lee turning into a hatchet man?

Remaining Highest Guaranteed Compensation left on the NYCFC roster (2019 $ Salary, 2020 was not released)
1. Maxi Moralez - $2,000,000.04 (DP, $612,500 salary budget charge)
2. Jesus Medina - $870,833.33 (Turns 24 on April 30, unsure about Young DP status $612,500 vs. $200,000 budget charge)
3. Heber - $788,750.04
4. Alex Callens - $664,000.00
5. Maxime Chanot - $650,000.04
6. Anton Tinnerholm - $546,800.00
7. Alexandru Mitrita - $500,00.04 (DP, On Loan)
8. Ronald Matarrita - $420,000.00
9. Sean Johnson - $399,999.96
10. Ismael Tajouri-Shradi - $380,500.04
11. Valentin Castellanos - $274,806.41

I look at this list and think Medina at $870k even as a non-DP is a huge waste of money. Medina is a back up / spot starter and we're paying him like a guy that can go out and score 12-15 goals. I'd also be good with replacing Maxi, Heber, and Chanot.

I look at this list and think Medina at $870k even as a non-DP is a huge waste of money. Medina is a back up / spot starter and we're paying him like a guy that can go out and score 12-15 goals. I'd also be good with replacing Maxi, Heber, and Chanot.

Chanot has had some mistakes for sure, but he is still a good CB and he lives for this club, which I think is a quality all players should have but few really do.

Heber - we have yet to see what he can really do with a full season.

Maxi - yes. time we found a new #10.

For being the “second best LB in MLS”, I am struggling to remember huge plays/moments that he has made, although there is a large catalog of bad ones.

And I'm not convinced this is a rebuild. A midfield of Maxi, Parks, Sands is still among the top midfields in the league. If they make the right signings up front, they will be right among the top teams in the league. Hopefully it's a retool.

yup, with SJ, Chanot/Callens/Tinnerboom and that midfield, you can compete if you get a maxi understudy and hit the right signings up front with your DPs (winger/striker).

Even though he plays with a high level of enthusiasm, hustle and compete, Mata is a liability defensively. I think it spoke volumes when Viera used to play him as an outside midfield/winger. He shows flashes in attack but is often out of position.

Back