2022 Roster Discussion

The DP tag outweighs everything else. If Median were a TAM player for the last 4 seasons we'd probably all feel differently about him. I wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up, but I'm thrilled to have him off our books. The talent level of young players we are bringing in at this point (Talles, Santi, Acevedo, Thiago) is different than 2017/2018.
I know the typo was likely accidental, but "Median" is probably a good nickname, haha. His whole time here, he was probably around the median in terms of quality on our roster.

I guess I don’t think of covering lots of ground as necessarily playing with lots of heart - but fair point, although I wouldn’t have picked him as second hardest worker behind Taty. No one would accuse Maxi of not playing with heart -to help illustrate the point.
And that's completely fair. I'm also not only talking about covering ground, though that is a big piece of it. I posted earlier somewhere on here how there was one game this year where the team was getting blown out and he seemed to be the only one really trying to will the team back into it. A good bulk of his goals also came from hustling and attacking the net and taking advantage of rebounds or lucky bounces.

Don't mean to praise Medina a ton or anything and I think many of my other posts reflect my thoughts on him. I just took exception to the "didn't play with a lot of heart" piece as I really do think he played with everything he had. Just that everything he had was often bleh.

NYCFC 2022 DEPTH CHART

Striker: Heber, Castellanos
Wing: Magno, Jasson, Tajouri-Shradi, Thaigo, Rodriguez, Mitrita*
Wing/CAM: Moralez, Medina
CM: Parks, Sands, Morales, Acevedo, Rocha, Zelalem, Torres, Haak
RB: Tinnerholm, Gray
LB: Thorarinsson, Amundsen, Gloster, McFarlane
CB: Chanot, Callens, Latinovich
GK: Johnson, Barraza, Mizell

* - On loan.
Thor is confirmed out?

Reactions: Kjbert
Thor is confirmed out?

he, along with the others, had their goodbye tweets. would be very strange if they resigned.

on another note...

i'm surprised the team didn't think torres or even rocha were good to keep on to maybe lead their MLSNP team? too much money? Thinking NYCFC2 is mainly for academy to the first team only?

he, along with the others, had their goodbye tweets. would be very strange if they resigned.

on another note...

i'm surprised the team didn't think torres or even rocha were good to keep on to maybe lead their MLSNP team? too much money? Thinking NYCFC2 is mainly for academy to the first team only?

i think rocha feels he can get minutes in MLS in other team, im sure he can, torres is probably USL Championship level, NYCFC2 level would be below that though.

i think rocha feels he can get minutes in MLS in other team, im sure he can, torres is probably USL Championship level, NYCFC2 level would be below that though.

rocha yes. i agree. is nycfc2 under USL championship level? is it strictly going to be for reserves? the way vardy talks about it, i think he's expecting it to be like usl championship

Reactions: Kjbert
Thor is confirmed out?

he got the “thanks and good luck” tweet from the club. It’s true that clubs can decline options and renegotiate - this is exactly what happened with Chanot a few years ago - but I believe in that case Chanot didn’t get the “thanks and good luck” recognition when his option was declined.

I wouldn’t expect Thor back.

For those who thought the club should have preemptively made the trade with LAFC to avoid what happened in the expansion draft, I'd like to know when you think NYCFC should have done this:

Option 1: in the summer trade window
Option 2: in the 4-hour trade window Sunday

I can only imagine the screams if we traded anyone while the team was flying back from winning MLS Cup.

Are we all of the mindset that we won’t have a 3rd DP until the summer window?

Do we also agree that it will be a winger?

And that's completely fair. I'm also not only talking about covering ground, though that is a big piece of it. I posted earlier somewhere on here how there was one game this year where the team was getting blown out and he seemed to be the only one really trying to will the team back into it. A good bulk of his goals also came from hustling and attacking the net and taking advantage of rebounds or lucky bounces.
Defensively according to FBRef, Medina exceeded Shradi on a per 90 basis in every major defensive action: pressures, tackles, interceptions, blocks and clearances. He also won a higher percentage of aerial duels and won more duels per 90. That's as good a hustle index as I can think of.

No. I don't disagree, but I don't think either is a given. I think if we wait until summer and Heber hasn't returned to form our DP could be a striker. I also think a #10 Maxi heir is possible. Santi's loan ends after 2022, and as good as he is I'm not sure he's a Maxi replacement type either.

Last edited:
No. I don't disagree, but I don't think either is a given. I think if we wait and Heber hasn't returned to form our DP could be a striker. I also think a #10 Maxi heir is possible. Santi's loan ends after 2022, and as good as he is I'm not sure he's a Maxi replacement type either.
What position do you ultimately think these current players end up being…

Talles
Santi
Andrade

What position do you ultimately think these current players end up being…

Talles
Santi
Andrade
Striker/winger
Winger/10
Winger/striker

And as wingers, Talles and Andrade playing more up, while Santi more mid.

ETA: this is also the sort of thing I have least confidence in my analytic/predictive ability.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert and Higgs1

Not sure on timing, but the three biggest roster holes I foresee are:

1) Left footed wing with pace.
2) A 10 that can contribute now but will slot in to the regular starting eleven after Maxi retires.
3) A young CB that can learn and replace Chanot when he becomes a coach.

Of those spots, the wing seems the best use of a DP slot, followed by the 10. I would love to see a lefty with pace that can bookend Thiago - Leroy Sane type (an MLS level appropriate Sane).

For the 10, we really need to find someone that can take free kicks. As others have noted, with Gudi leaving and Maxi nearing the end, the options from free kicks - shoot or pass - are dwindling quickly.

on another note...

Please write 're-signed" because you keep writing "resign" which is a different word, and my heart keeps skipping a beat whenever i see "resign"

rocha yes. i agree. is nycfc2 under USL championship level? is it strictly going to be for reserves? the way vardy talks about it, i think he's expecting it to be like usl championship

i highly doubt it will be that level right away, of course we will have to wait and see who teams sign, if its pure academy and reserves no way its USL championship level.

On a personal note, it is with some sadness that I recognize the departure from our team of our two deities.

For many years (decades?) now, as a Buddish atheist, whenever the subject of religion arises I state that my preferred deity is Thor. My wife, raised Catholic but far enough from those roots to marry me, still holds some small affinity to her religious upbringing. And so, well, Jesus.

In one day we had to say goodbye to both Thor and Jesus.

It was a sad day in the footylovin household.