2022 Roster Discussion

It brings me joy that there is someone at the training facility wearing a Yankee Soccer Stadium Sweatshirt in the Martins video
I know I'm being dense but I don't get the joke. Is it because "we want a stadium" or "we play soccer at yankee stadium"?

I know I'm being dense but I don't get the joke. Is it because "we want a stadium" or "we play soccer at yankee stadium"?
The way I interpret the joke is that NYCFC has been playing better in Yankee stadium as of late compared to the Yankees. So the Yankees are actually playing second fiddle in the “Yankee Soccer Stadium.” Basically claiming to be the main tenets in the stadium. Obviously it’s all tongue in cheek humor but it’s meant to be a jab at the baseball team. Again my interpretation of it so I can definitely be wrong.

The way I interpret the joke is that NYCFC has been playing better in Yankee stadium as of late compared to the Yankees. So the Yankees are actually playing second fiddle in the “Yankee Soccer Stadium.” Basically claiming to be the main tenets in the stadium. Obviously it’s all tongue in cheek humor but it’s meant to be a jab at the baseball team. Again my interpretation of it so I can definitely be wrong.
To me it is omni-directional.
  • NYCFC>Yankees
  • NYCFC still doesn't have a stadium.
  • Screw the haters obsessed that NYCFC plays in a baseball stadium.

I've never been a huge fan of DP center backs in this league, especially on a team that is already so solid defensively. That said, I definitely buy into the message from earlier perhaps they can buy him down if they find more DP's this summer. They now have one open DP spot, so hopefully he's in the range that he can be bought down if needed at some point.

Ultimately, you have to trust this front office after the success we've had. They know what they're doing.

Nice summary here courtesy Oliver Strand: Brazilian center back Thiago Martins joins NYCFC - Hudson River Blue

He makes a good point, which a couple other people have pointed to in this thread: "Martins will also give manager Ronny Deila the tactical flexibility to start with three at the back, freeing Malte Amundsen and Tayvon Gray to bomb up and down the lines and concentrate on feeding the attack."

Creating that option probably cost a few bucks, which could be the reason for the DP designation. Strand also points out what just a handful of goals could have meant for us last year: two more and we could have been second seed in the East, four more and second overall in the league.

Dude's definitely a player. His highlight reel is pretty impressive.

I've never been a huge fan of DP center backs in this league, especially on a team that is already so solid defensively. That said, I definitely buy into the message from earlier perhaps they can buy him down if they find more DP's this summer. They now have one open DP spot, so hopefully he's in the range that he can be bought down if needed at some point.

Ultimately, you have to trust this front office after the success we've had. They know what they're doing.

Let’s say he’s making $1 million in salary. His budget charge is $260,000? We add two DPs in July. Half his salary is off the books. We buy him down below the max player charge then and save ourselves a bunch of TAM and GAM

This team isn’t going out and signing Insigne or Shaqiri as their DPs. They are spending on younger talent that can grow with the team.

I bet he is a DP because of the transfer fee and I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a way to buy him down if the right higher priced DP comes along.

this smells like a classic CFG signing - not big name but turns into a solid starter and one of the better at his position in the league.

This team isn’t going out and signing Insigne or Shaqiri as their DPs. They are spending on younger talent that can grow with the team.

I bet he is a DP because of the transfer fee and I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a way to buy him down if the right higher priced DP comes along.

this smells like a classic CFG signing - not big name but turns into a solid starter and one of the better at his position in the league.
Tinnerholm-esque, is how I'd put it. And I wouldn't be surprised if he plays well and rivals Insigne / Shaqiri and co. for newcomer of the year, or even defender of the year.

Back