2022 Roster Discussion

I do wonder if the lack of moves this season has been because of a salary cap squeeze. Maybe they used a lot of TAM on Taty, for example, knowing he would only be here for half the season. Sands was a homegrown on no money, so replacing him means they had to find money because aside from homegrown players, you're not finding anyone of significant talent on $100,000. With all the high-priced U-22 players and the TAM they spent on Johnson, Tinnerholm, Chanot, Callens, etc, maybe there just wasn't anything left for the midseason additions. Or if there was money left, there wasn't enough left for a major impact piece. We don't get salary relief for the injury to Parks, or for the half-season injury to Tinnerholm while he recovered.

I'm not sure enough of being made of the possibility that we are just too tight to the cap right now to have made the kinds of moves that we think were necessary. In a salary-capped league like this, the margins are so tight. And injuries -- especially long-term ones -- hurt a lot more.

Sure, it's possible that the front office was complacent after last season, but there have been so many puzzling moves since we won MLS Cup (Gudi leaving was the first warning light here), that I think it's quite possible our roster crunch is due to salary cap issues.

My issue is that Parks was hurt and out for an indeterminate amount of time well before the deadline and they did nothing to even backfill the reserves in the midfield. Gloster hasn't panned out at lb so we have essentially had no playable backup there all year. We never replaced Sands. I can give the team a pass for not making any big splash signing, but not even signing some backfill-type players to compete for spots to fill our roster holes severely diminished our chances of making a serious playoff run. You can argue semantics if "quit on" the season but I think we can all agree the lack of moves put us at a serious disadvantage.

The AAA analogy made by VernonJohn 's friend is very applicable to the state of the MLS right now, if we are being honest in the tier list of CFG we are more like a AA team. We are going to lose players like Taty and Sands but they need to be backfilled. If we are sending Taty to Girona CFG should be loaning us, players from the CFG teams below us in the hierarchy or bringing in other prospects from their scouting network.

As I have mentioned before, I think Taty was actually "front-filled" - to match your term. He was rumored to be going for over a year. I really believe some combination of the 3 attackers we brought in during last season and the return of Heber was intended to cover for his departure.

Sands deserved a more thoughtful replacement. Martins was maybe a little bit of a Sands replacement, but he seems more about replacing an aging Chanot combined with a bit of opportunism. I think they figured we had 3 solid players for the CM spots - Parks, Moralez and Acevedo - and that was enough depth. This would also give Zelalem and Haak a chance to develop further. Still, we are sitting here with an open DP spot that could be used to bring in a special player for the midfield, and they should have done that.

I just did the math of guaranteed compensation based on the MLSPA release.

The top 20 players count towards the salary cap, and the cap on that is $4.9 million. Teams get $1.625 in GAM this year, and $2.8M in TAM. So that's $9.35M in available spending. Without accounting for trades (I'm not going down that rabbit hole), our top 20 players cost $9.387M, and that doesn't include Taty, Sands, and accounts for the DP charge on Thiago Martins. It would seem to be fairly likely we are right up against the cap with very little wiggle room.

Reactions: Kjbert and ALBNYfan
I just did the math of guaranteed compensation based on the MLSPA release.

The top 20 players count towards the salary cap, and the cap on that is $4.9 million. Teams get $1.625 in GAM this year, and $2.8M in TAM. So that's $9.35M in available spending. Without accounting for trades (I'm not going down that rabbit hole), our top 20 players cost $9.387M, and that doesn't include Taty, Sands, and accounts for the DP charge on Thiago Martins. It would seem to be fairly likely we are right up against the cap with very little wiggle room.
Did you reduce the DP salaries down to the max salary charge?

Reactions: Kjbert
Did you reduce the DP salaries down to the max salary charge?
I'm stupid. I just remembered Talles Magno is a Young DP, so his $1.2 million charge comes down to $200,000. So that would bring us to around $8.387M. If that number is accurate, we would have a little under $1M remaining. It's pretty much impossible to get a real number and this is a very rough estimate that doesn't include GAM/TAM trades. Nor does it include transfer fees that we may be paying for some players who aren't DPs.

That tweet does not say that Maxi is not a DP.

It's saying he is back under the threshold, meaning he could eventually be bought down by TAM and not require the DP tag.

Ah, OK. Well if that's the case and they're calling him a DP, it would have saved around $600,000.

Reactions: mgarbowski