2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A DP striker would be incredible but I'm not banking on a buydown. The team has never bought down a DP despite numerous opportunities in the past where it appeared easily possible and beneficial.

Regarding using TAM, it's impossible to track all the different MLS money buckets so we don't know how much TAM we have from transactions but in 2023 the annual TAM allotment to all teams was $2.7M. Given the $2M reported fee we paid for Bakrar and his salary, he is what a TAM striker would cost.

Edit: Although I do remember you pointed out that maybe missing the playoffs would be a catalyst for change. Maybe the poor results do turn out to be enough motivation for the clubs first ever DP buy down.

Bakrar wasn't signed under TAM, he was signed under the U22 initiative.

I think Bakrar is a backup striker and they will find another striker for that position. Yes Magno and Fernandez are likely to be the starters next year, but I think they bring in a TAM striker. I also wonder if they buy down Thiago's DP charge to give them a chance at a DP striker.
Agreed. I think we need three viable strikers on the roster. Someone at hopefully a higher resume level than Bakrar (or at least equivalent) and a cheaper striker for depth. We need another option at the 10. We may be ok at wing with the kids, maybe throw one more in the mix. Need some more depth at the back, but our back is def our strongest asset. Also need a little bit more age for some locker room presence, position not important.

Agreed. I think we need three viable strikers on the roster. Someone at hopefully a higher resume level than Bakrar (or at least equivalent) and a cheaper striker for depth. We need another option at the 10. We may be ok at wing with the kids, maybe throw one more in the mix. Need some more depth at the back, but our back is def our strongest asset. Also need a little bit more age for some locker room presence, position not important.

Alfredo Morales was signed through this season with a team option for 2024. Considering his injury history, cap cost, and playing time, I bet we don't bring him back for 2024. Keaton might also be up -- he signed permanently in 2020 on a "multi-year" contract, so wouldn't surprise me if his deal is up this winter, too. Think we re-sign him, but he'll be expensive.

Bakrar wasn't signed under TAM, he was signed under the U22 initiative.

Yes, but Bakar cost $2M so regardless of how we paid for him he's a decent example of the type of quality you get for TAM levels of money. I don't know how you are getting a substantial upgrade at the same cost unless the team is willing to get a proven player a bit past their prime in their late 20's early 30's. Would be nice to have a proven vet on the front line but it doesn't seem to fit the team's current roster-building approach.

Yes, but Bakar cost $2M so regardless of how we paid for him he's a decent example of the type of quality you get for TAM levels of money. I don't know how you are getting a substantial upgrade at the same cost unless the team is willing to get a proven player a bit past their prime in their late 20's early 30's. Would be nice to have a proven vet on the front line but it doesn't seem to fit the team's current roster-building approach.

I think Bakrar is on the low end of what a TAM player can be, honestly. I think they can do a little better with that resource and find a 10-goal/season type of player.

Reactions: gbservis
I think Bakrar is on the low end of what a TAM player can be, honestly. I think they can do a little better with that resource and find a 10-goal/season type of player.
Yeah, I’m gonna pipe up and say strikers are usually streaky. Some like Villa and the greats are consistent. But most are streaky. I think we could get Taty Spring 2022 numbers out of Bakrar next season with a full preseason. Do I think we need a contingency plan just in case? Oh hell yeah. But I think given that he’s wearing #9 he’s plan A

Yeah, I’m gonna pipe up and say strikers are usually streaky. Some like Villa and the greats are consistent. But most are streaky. I think we could get Taty Spring 2022 numbers out of Bakrar next season with a full preseason. Do I think we need a contingency plan just in case? Oh hell yeah. But I think given that he’s wearing #9 he’s plan A

I think in MLS most players needs to be layered over every couple years or you get left behind. NYCFC should sign another striker and have them battle it out for playing time. I think Bakrar can be a decent player, but I'm not sure he's a guy that's going to lead the line. Taty developed into that and maybe Bakrar can, too. But we need to go into next season with depth in that position.

Reactions: JayH and gbservis
I am a bit surprised on how low nearly the whole fanbase is on Bakrar

I'm pretty high on him. He's got good movement and he works hard. He's still young too. He needs time to figure out this league and our system and find his finishing boots. It seems he is getting physically dominated by bigger CBs and that's something he needs to work on to give us an outlet and play his back to goal when needed.

Otherwise, I think he has potential. I really think the pressure of this late attempt to make the playoffs got to him. Seemed like he was trying too hard to be the hero.

Last edited:
He didn’t rip it up like mad but 0.41 goals/90 isn’t a slouch either.
I think people looked at his pedigree and record and expected someone who brought more. 6 or more goals in nine games might have satisfied everyone while also creating unrealistic expectations.

I'm pretty high on him. He's got good movement and he works hard. He's still young too. He needs time to figure out this league and our system and find his finishing boots. It seems he is getting physically dominated by bigger CBs and that's something he needs to work on to give us an outlet and play his back to goal when needed.

Otherwise, I think he has potential. I really think the pressure of this late attempt to make the playoffs got to him. Seemed like he was trying too hard to be the hero.
I think the "problem" with Bakrar is that apparently nobody on the team is capable of getting the ball to him in the box. Just sayin'

And upon reflection, that's kind of been the problem with the team this whole season I suppose.

I think the "problem" with Bakrar is that apparently nobody on the team is capable of getting the ball to him in the box. Just sayin'

And upon reflection, that's kind of been the problem with the team this whole season I suppose.

Each on their own Magno, Baker, and Fernandez are all talented players with plenty of upside. I think the problem is that they are 21, 22 , and 19 years old and we need some experienced and proven players mixed in to provide stability and leadership. Lee needs to start signing proven veterans and stop treating every spot on the roster like another cfg lottery ticket.

Reactions: ZYanksRule and Gene

eh he's getting chances on goal. he's just not hitting the mark. a more calm head and some experience will solve that. that being said, i agree that we need more early service into the box and tend to play around too much around the box instead of sending into danger areas quickly

Each on their own Magno, Baker, and Fernandez are all talented players with plenty of upside. I think the problem is that they are 21, 22 , and 19 years old and we need some experienced and proven players mixed in to provide stability and leadership. Lee needs to start signing proven veterans and stop treating every spot on the roster like another cfg lottery ticket.
This. ^^^

Reactions: JayH and gbservis
Maybe Maxi can do that for them next season, just for a start.

Reactions: gbservis
Maybe Maxi can do that for them next season, just for a start.

Maxi is the ideal type of player to help this young group, we saw it immediately when he came back for a few games. He helps organize the press he gets teammates involved. Sadly though I don't know when Maxi will be healthy or if he will play again.

All these guys are super young in addition to the front three attackers, Santi is only 23. Maxi brings so many small things that help those guys. He tells Santi to chill when he gets all wound up about the ref and helps him refocus. He tells a slumping Magno to keep shooting and maybe works the offense to get him a few chances to get him going. When things are completely spiraling Maxi will go get the ball and settle the game down. Assuming Maxi is out for a while there is no attacking player on the roster that can provide that type of leadership. Even lumping in the midfield we have no one. Sands and Parks so far are not the type of players to do it either. If the team is to improve we will need Sands, Parks, or Santi to grow into that role quickly or we need to add a veteran or 2 that are good enough to start consistently and can provide that type of leadership.

On a side note did the team ever explain what happened with the whole Sands is captain thing? He did a few interviews about coming back to be a leader, they gave him the armband but even when he had it Chanot appeared to be doing most of the on-field captain-type duties of organizing the team and talking to the refs. Then one game Sands didn't have the armband anymore and he hasn't had it since.

Reactions: JCMore

That was definitely the issue this last game, but that hasn't been the issue the rest of his time here so far

eh he's getting chances on goal. he's just not hitting the mark. a more calm head and some experience will solve that. that being said, i agree that we need more early service into the box and tend to play around too much around the box instead of sending into danger areas quickly
Replace "a more calm head and some experience" with "more reps and chances". He's shown the ability to finish chances and I have no doubt that over a full season, especially after a full offseason with the team, that he will be fine.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but looking at the MLSPA numbers today got me depressed. Cufre, Magno, and Pellegrini are making way too much to have such little impact this year. Brutal stuff.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but looking at the MLSPA numbers today got me depressed. Cufre, Magno, and Pellegrini are making way too much to have such little impact this year. Brutal stuff.
Definitely the right thread. So much money just wasted on the bench or underperformance