2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Did Maxi have any interest in coaching after his playing career is done?

Obviously this is a great signing for the club, but I am wondering if Maxi also has an eye towards life after football.

Reactions: Victors87
it says he rescinded his contract with racing. does that make him a free agent? if so then doesnt he technically have more time to sign with nycfc and not be done by tomorrow.

i wonder why he rescinded his contract? was he that unhappy? it really can't be a chance to play against messi is it? LOL.

no idea if he has the legs to be a starter (probably not) but with him in the rotation and a hungry, new #9... i like it. sheer fact that he'll be part of the club to help mentor the young guys will be huge.

it says he rescinded his contract with racing. does that make him a free agent? if so then doesnt he technically have more time to sign with nycfc and not be done by tomorrow.
Guys out of contract are exempt from the transfer window rules so as not to create unnecessary hardship. But I do not know if the exception applies to mutual rescissions. There might be concern it could be a form of manipulation to avoid the rules, but I'm just speculating.

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
Maybe his family misses living here, he had young kids that spent most of their life in NYC, and maybe they are missing friends. Total speculation but it could be about more than soccer.

Reactions: LionNYC and Shwafta
Predict Maxi’s number. Winner wins a really small drink of your choice.

My prediction is he takes the 10 and Santi changes his number.

This is bizarre, but great news. The team had re-signed Maxi for 2023 before he left so he was expected to be part of the team in the offseason. Hopefully we would also have him for next year, too.

An attacking spear of Talles-Bakrar-Santi with Maxi as the 10 would be pretty fun. Plus that other guy we were reported to be signing -- someone really talented is going to be on the bench. Our attacking depth is going to be pretty deep all of a sudden.

Reactions: Victors87 and JayH
i wonder why he rescinded his contract? was he that unhappy? it really can't be a chance to play against messi is it? LOL.

no idea if he has the legs to be a starter (probably not) but with him in the rotation and a hungry, new #9... i like it. sheer fact that he'll be part of the club to help mentor the young guys will be huge.

He wasn't getting a lot of playing time. Has played fewer than 700 minutes this season in 26 games. Six starts and almost exclusively cameos off the bench.

Maybe his family misses living here, he had young kids that spent most of their life in NYC, and maybe they are missing friends. Total speculation but it could be about more than soccer.

definitely more than soccer.

but curious he would cut his contract short unless he was that unhappy. no complaints. i'd welcome him back with open arms as a non-DP especially

This is bizarre, but great news. The team had re-signed Maxi for 2023 before he left so he was expected to be part of the team in the offseason. Hopefully we would also have him for next year, too.

An attacking spear of Talles-Bakrar-Santi with Maxi as the 10 would be pretty fun. Plus that other guy we were reported to be signing -- someone really talented is going to be on the bench. Our attacking depth is going to be pretty deep all of a sudden.
Total speculation, but I don't know if Santi would be the one to give up his number and that may cause some problems in the locker room. Then again, they're all South Americans and that clique was strong in the locker room, so maybe it won't be anything at all...

Aren't there generally stipulation in apparel agreements that prevent number changes from happening mid-season? Every now and again you hear about an NBA or NFL player wanting to switch numbers that become available, but to do so you need to compensate the kit makers for all pre-made, undelivered jerseys and front the money for refunds on current year jerseys already purchased by fans.