2024 U.S. Open Cup

I get that the league is moving away from the open cup and I guess that’s fine. But also it seems really odd to me to have only a select few teams qualify to be in it. Isn’t called “open” for a reason in that every US based team is invited?
It also seems like extra schedule congestion for select teams. Wonder how the teams that are in feel about it.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Official list of participating teams.

NYCFC is not participating, and I won't be attending or watching any Leagues Cup events.

Official list of participating teams.

NYCFC is not participating, and I won't be attending or watching any Leagues Cup events.

The second team is.. which is fine by me.

Reactions: gbservis
I think this is an extremely bad move by MLS. I think MLS should be supporting this event and should be supporting grassroots soccer in America.

But if we're being honest, NYCFC has sent its second team to the US Open Cup every year since 2015. They always play guys who never otherwise see time. The only difference is that now it's the official 2nd team.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
  • Love
as is tradition it seems.... a HRD in the USOC comin up!

And we finally get to host an Open Cup derby match…

I might be a no-show.

Mid-40s: chilly and rainy. I love games at Belson but most of the charm is sitting out on a nice spring or summer evening as the sun sets over the north west corner.
Plus, we're likely to see an overmatched and rotated NYCFC II team, as five players have been seconded to the NYCFC U17 team for the GA Cup game tomorrow.

It's bad enough we're sending our II team, it's even more of an insult to the USOC that half the team will miss the game.

• Wow
Reactions: moogoo
Is this game being shown anywhere?

man really good chance but ball got away from jones on the slick turf. a simple cut back to a wide open ojeda would have been sweet.