Adam Nemec [Forward]

Call me old fashioned, but I think the main goal of a forward is to score goals or set up goals. Nemec hasn't done any of that yet, for all the work he has put in. It takes more than being a good work horse to make it as a forward. Some people were acting like he was Drogba out there. He couldn't even complete easy passes and passed a free ball out for a throw in when he was unchallenged.
I don't think you can say Shelton and Mullins were effective after they came on because of Nemec tiring out the defense. I think it has to do with them actually being better soccer players. You don't think an athletic person like Khiry could run around all game and tire the defenders out, while actually scoring goals or getting assists?
This...just...this. nemec WILL lose his starting role before midseason if he doesnt score or assist more often. One way or another

I spoke to Nemec after the game. He is feeling the pressure of not scoring and I think as a striker, it's what fans look at first. He's still getting used to the league and to the team. I know you can say the same about Shelton, but keep in mind we haven't seen Shelton play a complete half yet, much less almost two complete games.

Are you going to hold the next starting striker to the same criticism?

I also think based on my conversation with Nemec that he is still settling in personally. When I asked him about adjusting to NY, he mentioned that he is still looking for an apartment and is still getting to know the players. A guy like Khiry just rented a place in the upper west side with Mix, one of the stars of the team, yet a guy like Nemec is basically on an island emotionally.

Why wouldn't we?

And if he is sorting things out, do that on the bench, especially when there seem to be better options.
I dont feel like we are being to critical of him. I think most of us arent upset that he isnt netting goals so much as he seems to squander chances on the ball whether it be passing or scoring. He hasnt given the defense much trouble is all

I agree with those saying that we need Nemec's particular set of skills in the lineup and want to add something that hasn't been discussed yet. He is especially needed during home games because of our smaller pitch. There's just not enough room to safely play out of back on the ground a lot of the time, so there will inevitably be more long balls and clearances. On Sunday, he was knocking those down with his head and chest, leading to a few good counterattacks.

I agree with those saying that we need Nemec's particular set of skills in the lineup and want to add something that hasn't been discussed yet. He is especially needed during home games because of our smaller pitch. There's just not enough room to safely play out of back on the ground a lot of the time, so there will inevitably be more long balls and clearances. On Sunday, he was knocking those down with his head and chest, leading to a few good counterattacks.
“You’re incorrect. All of them are between 70 and 75 (yards), so ours is four yards less wide than the average,” he said. “And there are quite a few that are 72 (yards). We’re making a big deal out of nothing. Our field is proper size. Our seventy yards (wide) is proper size.”

-Kreis

Reactions: Paul
“You’re incorrect. All of them are between 70 and 75 (yards), so ours is four yards less wide than the average,” he said. “And there are quite a few that are 72 (yards). We’re making a big deal out of nothing. Our field is proper size. Our seventy yards (wide) is proper size.”

-Kreis
You cut out the exchange where the reporter asking the questioned tried to act like he knew the dimensions of all of the MLS fields.

That being said, my point was that if Shelton misses two-three chances per game and plays two games, I get the sense that they won't be as critical.

I agree, they should be. I'm just afraid they won't.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
You cut out the exchange where the reporter asking the questioned tried to act like he knew the dimensions of all of the MLS fields.

That being said, my point was that if Shelton misses two-three chances per game and plays two games, I get the sense that they won't be as critical.

I personally want to love nemec. He's a big dude, with a rad do. But if villa was missing sitters like that consistently, I think you would hear criticism. Nemec is not even forcing amazing saves.

Why do u think so many people have jumped on the shelton wagon over nemec in just the first 2 games? Because from the miniscule amount of time shelton was on the pitch he kept more possession, played better defense, had more pace on the counter, and at 21 years of age still has alot of technical growing to do and the decision making will come as well. I hope nemec proves me wrong and turns into a edin dzeko (sorry, first example that comes to mind) type target. But I believe JK will look to bring in more pace as the season moves forward. Lastly I agree with some who say that "big nemec" does pull defenders and open up slots for villa but if he continues his lackluster ball handling and finishing, defenses will quickly learn not to worry about his imposing stature or his rad hair do

Last edited:
Call me old fashioned, but I think the main goal of a forward is to score goals or set up goals. Nemec hasn't done any of that yet, for all the work he has put in. It takes more than being a good work horse to make it as a forward. Some people were acting like he was Drogba out there. He couldn't even complete easy passes and passed a free ball out for a throw in when he was unchallenged.
I don't think you can say Shelton and Mullins were effective after they came on because of Nemec tiring out the defense. I think it has to do with them actually being better soccer players. You don't think an athletic person like Khiry could run around all game and tire the defenders out, while actually scoring goals or getting assists?
He set up at least 3 chances for Villa that could have easily been finished. Nobody is acting like he's Drogba, come on. We're just being fair. It seems like fans either think a player is great or awful with nothing in between. But he was much improved in the 2nd game from the first.

Reactions: leilanikali420
Out of curiosity, can you give an example of a national team (other than the US) that uses a system like that? Of a big guy who can't score paired with a scorer?

No one is saying players who don't score are picked for international teams and why international teams? i dont follow your question.
Are you asking do players score all the time?, then no. Every team ever, not just international have had strikers who have not scored for 2 matches or more.

The question about being old fashioned is rather akin to saying batters are shit at baseball. All of them. I think the top boys get .330 and that is outstanding. Looks shit to me, if someone cannot hit a ball thrown at them at least 6 or 7 times out of ten, then they must be some kind of motor moron.
However you know and i know i have described a way too simplistic answer and that is the angle you are coming across from. Yes they are there to score and assist but there is way way more to it than that. The game is too fluid and too open to just pigeon hole players and tasks. Kreis is the only one who knows whether Nemec has done ok or not because outside the locker room no one knows exactly what has been asked of Nemec.

There is no doubt both Mullins and Shelton benefitted because no player will run the same after an seventy minutes than they will at the start. For all Shelton's running every defender in the world would just laugh at him and pass him to the next defender when he is close enough. Defenders have no problem with players moving about, it is when the extra work of the physical battle comes to the fore. It drains, make no mistake.

There is no doubt at the moment Nemec is ahead of Shelton, this will change as time moves on. Kreis speaks highly of Shelton and he is one for the future, just not now. At the moment get behind Nemec and make him feel at home. Everyone benefits.

No one is saying players who don't score are picked for international teams and why international teams? i dont follow your question.
Are you asking do players score all the time?, then no. Every team ever, not just international have had strikers who have not scored for 2 matches or more.

The question about being old fashioned is rather akin to saying batters are shit at baseball. All of them. I think the top boys get .330 and that is outstanding. Looks shit to me, if someone cannot hit a ball thrown at them at least 6 or 7 times out of ten, then they must be some kind of motor moron.
However you know and i know i have described a way too simplistic answer and that is the angle you are coming across from. Yes they are there to score and assist but there is way way more to it than that. The game is too fluid and too open to just pigeon hole players and tasks. Kreis is the only one who knows whether Nemec has done ok or not because outside the locker room no one knows exactly what has been asked of Nemec.

There is no doubt both Mullins and Shelton benefitted because no player will run the same after an seventy minutes than they will at the start. For all Shelton's running every defender in the world would just laugh at him and pass him to the next defender when he is close enough. Defenders have no problem with players moving about, it is when the extra work of the physical battle comes to the fore. It drains, make no mistake.

There is no doubt at the moment Nemec is ahead of Shelton, this will change as time moves on. Kreis speaks highly of Shelton and he is one for the future, just not now. At the moment get behind Nemec and make him feel at home. Everyone benefits.
I mean, you are saying a big forward who holds up play, and occupies defenders, but doesn't score, is a valid system. I'm asking, because I don't know, do any national teams or top teams play that system?

I mean, you are saying a big forward who holds up play, and occupies defenders, but doesn't score, is a valid system. I'm asking, because I don't know, do any national teams or top teams play that system?

I have not said not scoring is a valid system, i said scored less.

Juventus Llorente 5 Tevez 15
Palmero Vázquez 7 Dybala 12
Verona Toni 13 Lopez 5
Sampdoria Okaka 4 Éder 11
Fiorentina Gomez 2 Babacar 7
Udinese Thereau 8 Di Natale 10
Man City Dzeko 4 Aguero 17
Arsenal Giroud 11 Sanchez 14
Liverpool Lambert 2 Anyone
Tottenham (Adebayor or Soldado) Kane 16
WHU Carroll 5 Valencia 4
Aston Villa Benteke 5 Agbonlahor 6
Atletico Mandzukic 12 Greizmann 14
Espanyol Caicedo 6 Garcia 9
Sociedad Agirretxe 5 Vela 7
Celta de Vigo Larrivey 9 Nolito 8
Leverkusen Kießling 4 Heung-Min 10
Hoffenheim Szalai 4 Volland 6

and then there are the other leagues....

I have not said not scoring is a valid system, i said scored less.

Juventus Llorente 5 Tevez 15
Palmero Vázquez 7 Dybala 12
Verona Toni 13 Lopez 5
Sampdoria Okaka 4 Éder 11
Fiorentina Gomez 2 Babacar 7
Udinese Thereau 8 Di Natale 10
Man City Dzeko 4 Aguero 17
Arsenal Giroud 11 Sanchez 14
Liverpool Lambert 2 Anyone
Tottenham (Adebayor or Soldado) Kane 16
WHU Carroll 5 Valencia 4
Aston Villa Benteke 5 Agbonlahor 6
Atletico Mandzukic 12 Greizmann 14
Espanyol Caicedo 6 Garcia 9
Sociedad Agirretxe 5 Vela 7
Celta de Vigo Larrivey 9 Nolito 8
Leverkusen Kießling 4 Heung-Min 10
Hoffenheim Szalai 4 Volland 6

and then there are the other leagues....

vazquez isnt a striker at palermo though, hes an attacking mid/withdrawn forward... more like Di Michele/ Caracciolo from back in the day... or Amauri/ Miccoli