American Dps For Nycfc

I hate the fact that the baggage argument has taken precedence over the fact that this signing has all of the tell-tale signs of an MLS 2.0 screwup.

I just haven't seen any evidence that leads me to believe he can put in a good full shift every week, and we're burning a DP slot on him. It's extremely frustrating to me.

Reactions: MagnusPax
Complete conjecture, of course, but I wonder if Jones' current tantrum (and Lalas' odd statements today) stem from MLS (and NYCFC) deciding his "demands" where not something they could oblige.

I am in no way saying they were or were not unreasonable, but Lalas' very public admonishment of Jones did smack of a planted "comment" through back channels.

Complete conjecture, of course, but I wonder if Jones' current tantrum (and Lalas' odd statements today) stem from MLS (and NYCFC) deciding his "demands" where not something they could oblige.

I am in no way saying they were or not unreasonable, but Lalas' very public admonishment of Jones did smack of a planted "comment" through back channels.
When do you sleep man? Aren't you over where they count the basement as the first floor?

Reactions: SebastianBlue

I am in no way saying they were or were not unreasonable, but Lalas' very public admonishment of Jones did smack of a planted "comment" through back channels.
I wish it weren't so, but you're likely right.

Personally, I think the man has a point.

With more info coming out regarding Beasley...Houston traded their slot in the Allocation Order and a player to Toronto for the #1 slot in the Allocation Order...I could easily see us NOT getting an American DP at all now. OR at the very earliest it would occur in the late fall when the Expansion Draft occurs. We would either need the 1 or 2 Allocation slot after the season ends or would need to trade an asset for it. We are short on assets right now.

Reactions: SebastianBlue
I posted this on Twittter - the THFC games have been great. The LFC and Roma game was awful. Mcfc is ok. Looking forward to Man U and Galaxy at 11 EST

With more info coming out regarding Beasley...Houston traded their slot in the Allocation Order and a player to Toronto for the #1 slot in the Allocation Order...I could easily see us NOT getting an American DP at all now. OR at the very earliest it would occur in the late fall when the Expansion Draft occurs. We would either need the 1 or 2 Allocation slot after the season ends or would need to trade an asset for it. We are short on assets right now.
Only hope is that the cap goes up significantly and we can sign Mix. If they shove Lampard down our throats, they can at least wash it down with an elvishly handsome US player.

Although that still won't solve our problem of having someone in the midfield to win balls and chew up turf.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
My wife is 10 years my junior, so I bought myself some extra time.

I'll tell you what not to do during your time this morning: don't worry about watching the LFC-Roma match. Hot garbage there.

Well done. We are fortunate to have the little lad (we tried for some time) but it has been a trial these last few weeks.

Luckily I saw what can charitably be referred to as the highlights for that match at the half on BT Sport so I will absolutely stay clear.

Only hope is that the cap goes up significantly and we can sign Mix. If they shove Lampard down our throats, they can at least wash it down with an elvishly handsome US player.

Although that still won't solve our problem of having someone in the midfield to win balls and chew up turf.

Any chance we could prise that Cuban player away from Seattle?

I've also read some rumours that the DP number may be increased to four. Perhaps NYCFC knows something the rest of do not?

Reactions: Kjbert
I posted this on Twittter - the THFC games have been great. The LFC and Roma game was awful. Mcfc is ok. Looking forward to Man U and Galaxy at 11 EST

We barely have any of our starting players so we have not been the most fluid side, to be sure. Still, some good performances from Zuvulini, Iheanacho (who actually has fully signed for us, so I am not sure why the US commentators keep referring to him as a trial it's), and Rekik.

Any chance we could prise that Cuban player away from Seattle?
I wish. He's a beast. Think I mentioned before that he'd have been in the US squad for me if the poor guy could his stuff with Cuba sorted.

Disregarding int'l status, he's EXACTLY what practically every MLS club needs. You can't defend by possession in a league that has a self-imposed limit in the number of players with the skills necessary to play such a style and the all-around athleticism rampant in the US and CONCACAF.

The way teams are structured, you absolutely need at least one world class athlete in the midfield (ATHLETE). If you get a guy like Alonso who also has some skill, and you send him out with a few more competent players you're safely in the upper half of the league based on that alone. That's why I think Jones would be so great in MLS. His game is almost tailor made for the style. He's older than Alonso, but he's also more skilled with equal (though presumably declining at some unknown rate due to age) athleticism. I think Jones could give us 3 good years or more, and he has a grittiness about his play and style about his family and social life that would make him a local favorite. Not the face of the franchise per se, but the grinder whose shirt is a favorite of all the "real fans".

I find this impending Lampard signing incredibly disappointing. I don't give a toss about previous sins but this reeks of old fashioned late career money grab. If he were truly motivated I have little doubt that he would be useful for a couple of years, but they didn't nickname him Fat Frank because of dedicated training habits.

I wish. He's a beast. Think I mentioned before that he'd have been in the US squad for me if the poor guy could his stuff with Cuba sorted.

Disregarding int'l status, he's EXACTLY what practically every MLS club needs. You can't defend by possession in a league that has a self-imposed limit in the number of players with the skills necessary to play such a style and the all-around athleticism rampant in the US and CONCACAF.

The way teams are structured, you absolutely need at least one world class athlete in the midfield (ATHLETE). If you get a guy like Alonso who also has some skill, and you send him out with a few more competent players you're safely in the upper half of the league based on that alone. That's why I think Jones would be so great in MLS. His game is almost tailor made for the style. He's older than Alonso, but he's also more skilled with equal (though presumably declining at some unknown rate due to age) athleticism. I think Jones could give us 3 good years or more, and he has a grittiness about his play and style about his family and social life that would make him a local favorite. Not the face of the franchise per se, but the grinder whose shirt is a favorite of all the "real fans".

I'm a defensive/central midfielder myself, so I obviously agree that every team needs a box-to-box ball winner that has the ability to distribute. ;)

Which is why I am as disappointed as you and B Brahma_B with this signing. I will support him as long as he puts in the shift we deserve, of course, but I do think someone like Alonso, Jones, or even Keita (who could have been potentially gotten, though it would have been quite a bit of work) would have been a better choice for this league.

Garber has been pretty adamant that there are unused DP slots right now and he wants to see them used up before they add another. I disagree but understand

Garber has been pretty adamant that there are unused DP slots right now and he wants to see them used up before they add another. I disagree but understand
Do you think MLS is manuevering to let teams trade for DPs, like they did before 2010?

@Jermainejunior: Lampard to NY ??? OK....
I completely agree with JJJ. Sure Lampard could/will be fun to have on the team. But with only 1 more DP slot left, what will NYCFC do with it?

Hopefully they are still angling for a Jones or Mix.

Reactions: Kjbert