Andrea Pirlo [Midfielder]

Maybe a Pirlo isn't as keen to promote the league if he feels he's being "retired" by the coaching staff/FO.

hes probably gonna play three games that herrera is gone for WC. hes not being retired...hell, he may even start on sunday because we are at home and "field is smaller" argument

DIDN'T YOU PEOPLE GET THE MEMO I SENT ???? When I post that picture of him and his Baby's Mama ?? I have Strong Doubts he'll finish at all !! I'm fully Expecting News of this anytime now! But Here's The Picture again for all those who missed it ! This Say's It All !! Look at the look on his face for God Sake ! andrea-pirlo-and-valentina-baldini-are-seen-in-noho-on-april-24-2017-picture-id672421102.jpg

If Pirlo's statements about DeRossi a couple days ago are true, he's really tone deaf at this point. I mean, Pirlo is being questioned for being too old and maybe misjudging the physicality and intensity of the league, being dismissive of MLS in one word, which is a stereotype of the old European star, and he apparently goes ahead and calls 33 year-old DeRossi "young" and says he can still make it in a top European league, and should come to MLS in a few years, not now? How is that not dismissive of the league? If he's starting to have an image problem with the fans (and he is) he just made it worse.
Yeah, this disappointed me quite a bit. And I will say that I'm not one of the Pirlo haters.

I still think he provides a lot of value to the team. I'm willing to say that Yangel provides some other options that may be better for certain opponents/situations, but I'm not in the Pirlo shouldn't start/play crowd.

That said, I read these comments and became extremely disappointed. Why say anything about MLS? Keep the comments more general about De Rossi should perhaps experience other things, but don't make comments that are somewhat disparaging to the league.

Yeah, this disappointed me quite a bit. And I will say that I'm not one of the Pirlo haters.

I still think he provides a lot of value to the team. I'm willing to say that Yangel provides some other options that may be better for certain opponents/situations, but I'm not in the Pirlo shouldn't start/play crowd.

That said, I read these comments and became extremely disappointed. Why say anything about MLS? Keep the comments more general about De Rossi should perhaps experience other things, but don't make comments that are somewhat disparaging to the league.
Thank you I see you are very balanced in your thinking ! At least it shows some open mindedness . But No Excuses on My Andrea's Part to those who feel disappointed by him . My open mind Understands that equal.......Remember this for those on The Jury . The MLS stay's as is No Matter What !! This is how it's Set Up Here in America !!! We are the Only Country set up like this !! A team just looses games or a season It's Not Sent back to B or C status like the rest of the world .

So those who come over don't have that burden to bear . What the F to them ? Really ?! So this is the Thought behind the minds of All these Players !! So I yet again beg this Jury to think on that !!

On a personal note I love the Hell out of some good Soup !! What ever your having I want it or at least be open minded to try it ! THANKS !!:)

Reactions: SoupInNYC
http://www.espnfc.com/story/3117461...e-roma-in-summer-but-not-for-mls-andrea-pirlo

Pirlo on De Rossi leaving Roma, "He's young and he can still play in one of Europe's leagues, while at the same time it is still early for him to come to America. He can still play at the highest levels."

This is a terrible, terrible quote. Someone 33 is probably on the higher end of what MLS is looking for in a DP. I can't foresee an MLS team signing another Pirlo aged DP. He's not as good ambassador of NYCFC and MLS compared to Villa.

This is not the first time he has made harmful (intentional or not) statements about MLS. He will always have his value to MLS as a soccer superstar attraction, but he is the anti-Villa as far as promotion/devotion of/to the league. It's very disappointing.

I can't foresee an MLS team signing another Pirlo aged DP. He's not as good ambassador of NYCFC and MLS compared to Villa.

A reduction in the +34 year old European league former stars would be a nice sign for the progress of the league. I'm not sure we are there yet and I think it depends on the player with any reduction likely happening in tiers. If we classify tier 1 as the absolute top level superstar, guys like Messi, Ronaldo and maybe even Kaka or Zlatan I think we are still a long ways away from any MLS team turning them down even when they are on the wrong side of +34.

Ideally though we will start seeing teams either staying away from the 34+ guys in the next tier down or grabbing them ealier in their 30s. Gerrard and Lampard both perfromed well below expectations with Gerrard playing terrible and Lampard missing a ton of time. Pirlo started well but how this ends is a bit TBD. Some of the more poorly run teams may be foolish enough to take a shot on another Gerrard type player but for the quality of the league I hope we see it happen less and less.

http://www.espnfc.com/story/3117461...e-roma-in-summer-but-not-for-mls-andrea-pirlo

Pirlo on De Rossi leaving Roma, "He's young and he can still play in one of Europe's leagues, while at the same time it is still early for him to come to America. He can still play at the highest levels."

This is a terrible, terrible quote. Someone 33 is probably on the higher end of what MLS is looking for in a DP. I can't foresee an MLS team signing another Pirlo aged DP. He's not as good ambassador of NYCFC and MLS compared to Villa.
The quote's not great as a plug for MLS but on the other hand he's totally right. If someone can play at the highest levels in Europe that's where they ought to go as a mid-level player for Man City, say, makes what only the top few MLS players make. Your average Man City player gets $6 to 8 million a year, and the top guys make much more. If I were giving advice to my elite pro soccer playing pal I'd say to go to Europe too.

That player may be what MLS is looking for but there's not much financial incentive for them to come here, at least not yet. Regardless of how we want things to be the reality of it is that MLS just isn't quite there yet.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
The quote's not great as a plug for MLS but on the other hand he's totally right. If someone can play at the highest levels in Europe that's where they ought to go as a mid-level player for Man City, say, makes what only the top few MLS players make. Your average Man City player gets $6 to 8 million a year, and the top guys make much more. If I were giving advice to my elite pro soccer playing pal I'd say to go to Europe too.

That player may be what MLS is looking for but there's not much financial incentive for them to come here, at least not yet. Regardless of how we want things to be the reality of it is that MLS just isn't quite there yet.
Thats not an accurate staement across top tier soccer in Europe. In Serie A, only three players make more than Giovinco.

Yes, but you don't want your head of recruiting announcing at a hiring fair that prospective employees would be better off pursuing opportunities with your competitors.

Yeah, but someone who is seeing his role diminish in Roma will probably be riding pine mostly in ManCity

While I always have been and remain a fan of Pirlo, I agree these comments are disappointing. However, this is a typically Italian comment- direct, obvious in their own mind, and unapologetic. Culturally, they wouldn't interpret this comment the same way we do. We may find it insulting but it may not have been intended that way.

Additionally, Pirlo has all but said he's retiring soon and at this point, he's probably more focused on figuring out his next move. It will be unfortunate to see him leave on less than good terms.

While I always have been and remain a fan of Pirlo, I agree these comments are disappointing. However, this is a typically Italian comment- direct, obvious in their own mind, and unapologetic. Culturally, they wouldn't interpret this comment the same way we do. We may find it insulting but it may not have been intended that way.

Additionally, Pirlo has all but said he's retiring soon and at this point, he's probably more focused on figuring out his next move. It will be unfortunate to see him leave on less than good terms.
Not to mention he also has a personal relationship with DeRossi that he will never have with MLS.

Reactions: Angela Miller
Thats not an accurate staement across top tier soccer in Europe. In Serie A, only three players make more than Giovinco.

That is pretty accurate and quite surprising, at least to me. I have been unable to determine if the published salaries are pre-tax or take home (one blog stated they were take home, but the very round numbers look inaccurate if that were the case) but at face value, yes, historic clubs such as Milan and Inter pay their superstars 3 or 4 million a year, and even in Juve, which spends much more than every other club, Higuain is quite alone at the top with a salary of 8.4 million (7.7 euro). At face value we would seem to be paying Giovinco, a seldom used reserve at Juve, a 300% premium to come here at a guaranteed 7.1 million per year. Same for Kaka, Bradley, Jozy, etc. I wonder if a percentage they get from the ginormous transfer fees, loyalty fees, signing bonus, or other mechanisms that MLS doesn't use account for the difference, meaning they get a lot of money upfront that doesn't count as wage but makes them earn double anyway during the life of the contract. Or are players so reluctant to come here we have to triple their expected wages to tempt them? There has to be some explanation.

That is pretty accurate and quite surprising, at least to me. I have been unable to determine if the published salaries are pre-tax or take home (one blog stated they were take home, but the very round numbers look inaccurate if that were the case) but at face value, yes, historic clubs such as Milan and Inter pay their superstars 3 or 4 million a year, and even in Juve, which spends much more than every other club, Higuain is quite alone at the top with a salary of 8.4 million (7.7 euro). At face value we would seem to be paying Giovinco, a seldom used reserve at Juve, a 300% premium to come here at a guaranteed 7.1 million per year. Same for Kaka, Bradley, Jozy, etc. I wonder if a percentage they get from the ginormous transfer fees, loyalty fees, signing bonus, or other mechanisms that MLS doesn't use account for the difference, meaning they get a lot of money upfront that doesn't count as wage but makes them earn double anyway during the life of the contract. Or are players so reluctant to come here we have to triple their expected wages to tempt them? There has to be some explanation.
Here's the thing. Everything you said is true, but I think you're not looking in the same direction I am. The problem with getting the great players to come here is not whether they can get the money their looking for in their time on an MLS team. The real problem is that most of the *other* players on their team are only getting paid $60,000 or so.

Someone commented on my post above that comparing MLS salaries to Man City salaries isn't fair because everyone at Man City makes tons of money compared to salaries at other European teams. OK, fine. Average Man City players are getting 100,000 a week and that's fine. But if you take a more "normal" team whose players make one tenth of that they're still getting paid 10x what a bottom half MLS player is getting. Normal Euro salaries are a full order of magnitude more than here, and star salaries can almost buy a whole team here.

US Soccer and MLS are *never* going to be as good as the Euro leagues, at least as long as this salary disparity exists. We're just not going to get the good players as a general thing that happens.

Reactions: 21Architect
It's obviously true the pay disparity plays a role. But it's also a matter of culture and prestige. Conte more or less said Pirlo was cut from the Azzurri the moment he went to the MLS. It's possible other national team coaches may feel similarly and their players would know it.

For many players, leaving a league that dominates the sports world in their country to come play in a league that ranks 3rd, 4th or even 5th (depending on what metric you choose and the region) may be too large a leap for their liking.

If MLS continues with successes such as Atlanta, this will change and we won't have to wait until players like Villa are nearing the end of their career before they come.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I have been unable to determine if the published salaries are pre-tax or take home (one blog stated they were take home, but the very round numbers look inaccurate if that were the case)

Players, as a general rule, don't like tax. It's my understanding that at the highest levels, salary negotiations between agents and clubs basically operate along the lines of:

"This is the salary the player wants. I will only negotiate with you over the player's post-tax take-home salary, and then it's up to your club to work out what that is pre-tax and do the financials so that the exact figure the player wants is what appears in his account."

Players, as a general rule, don't like tax. It's my understanding that at the highest levels, salary negotiations between agents and clubs basically operate along the lines of:

"This is the salary the player wants. I will only negotiate with you over the player's post-tax take-home salary, and then it's up to your club to work out what that is pre-tax and do the financials so that the exact figure the player wants is what appears in his account."
This is also how negotiations work when hiring day labor in the Lowe's parking lot.