Andrew Jacobson traded to the Vancouver Whitecaps

who's salary gets bought down to bring in another DP type player.

Someone in the TR facebook group mentioned that Lampard is the likely candidate. He said that this summer Lampard will be owed around 2 million. If we buy him down and open a DP spot then we won't miss out on the summer transfer window. We'd be able to bring in a new DP for the remainder of the season, thus giving that player time to learn the system for the following year.

Last edited:
Some in the TR facebook group mentioned that Lampard is the likely candidate. He said that this summer Lampard will be owed around 2 million. If we buy him down and open a DP spot then we won't miss out on the summer transfer window. We'd be able to bring in a new DP for the remainder of the season, thus giving that player time to learn the system for the following year.
That would be fantastic

If anything, this thread is making me nervous about living in NYC with another kid on the way. Thanks guys.

lead_large.png

"Great trade, who'd we get?"

Jokes aside, was obvious that AJ didn't fit in this year's lineup (Bravo and Lopez play CDM and are obviously ahead of him in PV's order), plus it was clear that he roamed too much to put next to Pirlo and play the 6. Great to get him off the books, and also gets some TAM in the process for potential future moves. Nice piece of work by the FO.

Curious to see how this works in Vancouver's midfield as well with Laba being a real lock for them. Looks like he's just moving from being a backup to being a backup (personal reasons for the move aside). I think Jacobson is a perfect example of that middle class of MLS player that is promising and capable enough early on in their career that they're a good pick up for their wage. But as they mature into decent, but by no means exceptional, players, they become deadweight for price-to-performance reasons. They have to be talented enough to be a jack of all trades Brad Evans type to really prevent cap pressures from squeezing them out. I think this is good move for the club.

That said, I really like Andrew Jacobson! I wish him the best of luck!

Last edited:
Someone in the TR facebook group mentioned that Lampard is the likely candidate. He said that this summer Lampard will be owed around 2 million. If we buy him down and open a DP spot then we won't miss out on the summer transfer window. We'd be able to bring in a new DP for the remainder of the season, thus giving that player time to learn the system for the following year.
ZLATAN mayhaps?!?! Im not one to wildly speculate but its zlatan :p

And there goes the last Jew from our roster. Who am I to identify with now??? It's a smart move salary cap and roster wise, but he will still be remembered fondly tonight at my Shabbat table as I pour a little kiddish wine out on his behalf. :,(

He never really did anything to impress me. Definitely wish him well. Sometimes a player gets traded and does something great. That probably won't happen in this case, but hey, you never know ....

Reactions: Kjbert
I also kind of hate that I'm cynical like that. Even if my guess is true, I do think it is nice of them to put this gloss on the trade.[/QUOTE]

A part of me is cynical about that:

I hate to see the good guys go, especially those that have been with us from the start of the club, in the good and bad times too. This is the rotten part of a business. We the fans, if we weren't that we provide the money part we would be expendable and possibly traded to some where in Siberia too.

Best of luck and to a great new team AJ. Thank you for coming to NY and sharing your talent with us.

Last edited:
I'm hoping he's replaced with either Benny Feilhaber or Jonathan Bornstein.