Away - 02/18 Dynamo Postmatch

• Though we looked pretty good after the first Houston goal until the Villa red. Sort of classic NYCFC, though, in that we were playing pretty decently, but a horrific error at the back negated an excellent goal on our end. After the red it was pretty ugly.

• Unimpressive across the entire backline. Chanot and Brillant had some bad errors. Allen wasn't good in my opinion, nor was Gomez.

• Still thought Sands was pretty decent even though he struggled at times. Some of that was his fault, some of that was receiving the ball facing his own goal with multiple guys around him, which is a tough spot. And some of his passing whenhe was able to get turned was smooth.

• I though Pirlo was good. If we can just cover for him in the midfield, the passing is just sublime sometimes.

• I can't see Jalen Brown as contributing much yet. Created one good shooting opportunity, but generally looked a bit lost, bad touch, etc.

• Looking forward to seeing more of Maxi.
Very interested to see how quickly some of the additional guys get integrated.

Really lost interest in the 55' (did you know that Genie Bouchard is in the SI Swimsuit Issue and the NBA basically covered her date with that guy from Twitter that placed a bet if the Pats came back to go on a date)...but...

- Sands made some mistakes. He's only 16, but I'd rather see him with the first team than on the academy...
- Chanot had an off night, RJ was worse...
- We need to have Ring, Yani, Camargo, and Lewis with us to see how we really can play...
- But the counterattack Villa goal was a 10. If we can play like that every game, we'll be solid...
- We're in a world where shit Villa pulled will not go down. The ref (who was completely shit and let things get out of hand tonight) will go to the video and show a red every time...
- Vieira needs to get his act together too. Twice he was ejected last season and missed the next match. He cannot do that this year if he wants to win Coach of the Year and have aspirations of coaching Man City, France, or anywhere at a higher level than MLS. There are other ways to get your team fired up...(OKAY, HE WANTS TO KEEP HIS PLAYERS SAFE, I GET THAT)...
- I don't know our exact best 11 or their positions...

My fear is that we only have one more preseason game on Wednesday vs. Colorado since we won't be in the finals of this preseason tournament and we won't have things figured out. Though, the positives may be that the team will fly back to New York and get things sorted out on their own practice field...

The NBA Slam Dunk Contest tonight was as bad as our performance post Villa's red card...

Last edited:
Really lost interest in the 55' (did you know that Genie Bouchard is in the SI Swimsuit Issue and the NBA basically covered her date with that guy from Twitter that placed a bet if the Pats came back to go on a date)...but...

- Sands made some mistakes. He's only 16, but I'd rather see him with the first team than on the academy...
- We need to have Ring, Yani, Camargo, and Lewis with us to see how we really can play...
- But the counterattack Villa goal was a 10. If we can play like that every game, we'll be solid...
- We're in a world where shit Villa pulled will not go down. The ref (who was completely shit and let things get out of hand tonight) will go to the video and show a red every time...
- Vieira needs to get his act together too. Twice he was ejected last season and missed the next match. He cannot do that this year if he wants to win Coach of the Year and have aspirations of coaching Man City, France, or anywhere at a higher level than MLS. There are other ways to get your team fired up...

My fear is that we only have one more preseason game on Wednesday vs. Colorado since we won't be in the finals of this preseason tournament and we won't have things figured out. Though, the positives may be that the team will fly back to New York and get things sorted out on their own practice field...

The NBA Slam Dunk Contest tonight was as bad as our performance post Villa's red card...
I got to disagree about Vieira. This is a preseason game where the other team is committing hard fouls from behind on your new DP. This was 100% not about getting your team fired up, it was about protecting your players.

- Vieira needs to get his act together too. Twice he was ejected last season and missed the next match. He cannot do that this year if he wants to win Coach of the Year and have aspirations of coaching Man City, France, or anywhere at a higher level than MLS. There are other ways to get your team fired up...

Unless they changed the format from past years we will play on Sat. Feb. 25th no matter what. 5th place team v. 6th place team; 3rd v. 4th; and then 1st v. 2nd for Championship.

Really surprised that Villa reacted the way he did tonight. Yes, DeLaGarza was grabbing at him but it wasn't anything worse than what happens to Villa on every corner kick. I could see him trying to slap his arm away but it was just plain stupid to slap at his face like that because it's a straight red every time if the refs see it (or in this case the video catches it). Got me wondering if maybe AJ said something to Villa to get him to react that way.

Oh, and Genie Bouchard is hot as hell.

Reactions: LionNYC
Let's just hope that defense was a bunch of veterans who think their place on the squad is safe, so they weren't playing hard in this preseason game. Because that was pretty terrible.

Maxi was really interesting. He's so shifty. I get the sense he's going to be a load for opposing defenses to handle in this league. Our attack has some serious high-end potential.

We better hope Callens is the real deal, because this club did nowhere near enough on the defensive end of things; we're going to give up a lot of goals again this year if Callens is a miss.

I've already unfollowed Ben Sweat. He's definitely not getting a contract.

Jalen Brown will be signed and sent to USL for a year long loan.

Awuah will get a contract and likely stay with the first team. However, a loan to USL is probable considering we haven't seen Ring and Camargo and Yani plus the future of Sands.

I think that wraps up our roster for start of 2017.

Lots of shit on display tonight. The shittiest thing was Vieira not taking our entire team off the field and refusing to play the rest of the match.

It would have been my proudest moment as an NYCFC supporter. No reason to subject our players to the sort of horrendous shit Houston was pulling and the ref was letting slide.

That ref should be sent to the same place as Tab Ramos, far away from impacting anything to do with soccer in America.

Maxi was really interesting. He's so shifty. I get the sense he's going to be a load for opposing defenses to handle in this league. Our attack has some serious high-end potential.

I agree he looks like he could do very well. He and Villa already seemed to work well together. I think we will just need to be prepared for him play very well in 80% of the games and be useless in the 20% of games when some MLS ref allows a bunch of unskilled MLS goons to defend him by throwing him on the ground about 100 times over the course of the game.

Last edited:
Lots of shit on display tonight. The shittiest thing was Vieira not taking our entire team off the field and refusing to play the rest of the match.

It would have been my proudest moment as an NYCFC supporter. No reason to subject our players to the sort of horrendous shit Houston was pulling and the ref was letting slide.

That ref should be sent to the same place as Tab Ramos, far away from impacting anything to do with soccer in America.

Imagine if Hawaii (or Guam or American Samoa) was to America as Australia was to England...

Agree with everyone the game was bad.... buuuuuut holy fuck is RJ horrendous. That guy is an absolute idiot. I don't think he's as bad as Shelton but man does he put some absolute dog shit performances in. He has some games where I literally watch and wish he would still be coaching some douche bag jersey shore kids and not putting our on.

Also I thought Maxi was dangerous tonight and showed an entertaining combo with Villa.

Sands struggled, Brown struggled, our back line... was the same as last year... dog shit with a side of embarrassment. I'm sure there were more bright spots but I certainly can't think of any right now.

NYCFCfan NYCFCfan so is the deal that if Mix is in the lineup to be released any minute now, you will then spill the beans?!? (Really just kidding (kind of) because I am super grateful for all the awesome intel that you provide).
Given as he didn't play, if one part of the info was incorrect, I'm willing to bet more if not all of it was.

So false alarm. :(

Recently rewatched Win!, so I could help but be reminded about the "whose gonna be the dick" speech and Kreis telling Villa that he is a "nasty fucker."

Villa needs to watch himself though. There's the elbow swing to Jalen Robinson vs D.C., the kick vs Toronto, and this slap to the face.

And as pissed as I was that he was dumb enough to get himself sent off in a pre-season game, I couldn't help but laugh about how cool and casual he was when he slapped him.

I can't see Jalen Brown as contributing much yet. Created one good shooting opportunity, but generally looked a bit lost, bad touch, etc.

I feel the opposite. Several times in the match I thought to myself that he has great quick feet and ball control. He got left out to dry regularly because Villa wasn't there to receive. I guess I need to rewatch.

I'm really confused about Brillant. He should be better. He has the build and the athleticism but mentally and spatially he's mediocre at best.

This game started off on the wrong foot with the hard play and snowballed from there. I'm just annoyed at the entire thing.

I feel the opposite. Several times in the match I thought to myself that he has great quick feet and ball control. He got left out to dry regularly because Villa wasn't there to receive. I guess I need to rewatch.

I'm really confused about Brillant. He should be better. He has the build and the athleticism but mentally and spatially he's mediocre at best.

This game started off on the wrong foot with the hard play and snowballed from there. I'm just annoyed at the entire thing.
I agree. Brown has far superior ball control than Shelton and he doesn't hesitate when breaking out. His issue was trying to do too much, but that can be diffused with coaching and villa on the field. And he was able to hold the ball in a lot of traffic. For me, he's already more dependable than Shelton.