Away - 03/08 Orlando City SC

I doubt Villa will get less time, but up front with Taylor, Khiry, Velasquez, Mix, Calle and throw in Villa. With time together those guys would be trouble. Defense looked better today, not solid but better over the last friendlies.

Kind of overlooked so far, but we need to give credit to the coaches and staff for taking Shelton in the draft, especially since most "experts" had us choosing Roldan. He's come in and impacted the team right away, which is all we could have hoped from the pick. He gives us speed that we are lacking in the midfield, at least with the starters. He's also versatile enough to play forward or in the midfield, which could be important during a long season.
I thought Shelton really changed the game quite a bit when he came in.

I'm confused so far what Nemec brings. He was brilliant, slow and indecisive all at once.

I don't think villa was bad. He didn't get service nearly the entire game. Was visibly upset when balls were forced his way, be that long range or poor passes. It wasn't until Khiry came in and took some pressure AND DEFENDERS off of him that he was able to run with the ball at his feet and he really showed his abilities then.
But he had 2 to 3 defenders on him everytime he received the ball and often received it with his back to goal, having to run to nearly the half way line to try and get possession. I'm sure we'll see something different from Kreis next week. That first half did not work for us at all.

I don't think villa was bad. He didn't get service nearly the entire game. Was visibly upset when balls were forced his way, be that long range or poor passes. It wasn't until Khiry came in and took some pressure AND DEFENDERS off of him that he was able to run with the ball at his feet and he really showed his abilities then.
But he had 2 to 3 defenders on him everytime he received the ball and often received it with his back to goal, having to run to nearly the half way line to try and get possession. I'm sure we'll see something different from Kreis next week. That first half did not work for us at all.

This. I dont get the villa hate. Literally every time he got the ball (which was like in the almost never range) He immediately had 3-4 Purple Mickey Mouses all over him. Plus he gave the assist that created our goal, which many seem to be forgetting. Im sure if Nemec had been subbed early on as he should of, Villa could of shined more with better support, or any support really.

What he needs is players making runs off of him. He's receiving the ball and there's no one making the run in behind him. So the defenders nearby know they can crash in on him and not worry about the ball going anywhere but back towards the opposing side.

My problems with him stem from him forcing it when he was so heavily defended. There were a few times he had options.

He did have a tough assignment to play with Nemec though. Nemec is seriously limited.

Grabavoy could have been better in his spacing. It was just not good.

Ballouchy just isn't very good. He should be required to be rid of the ball within 2 touches on our attacking end of the field.

I still think we'd have gotten more goals if we had a premium strike partnership. Blame Villa or Nemec or both, but keane/ zardes or another prime pair would have gotten a goal from some of the positions Nemec/villa found themselves in.

Reactions: jomosono
I think I would give the same starting XI a shot again, but I would start Shelton for Ballouchy. Really impressed by Shelton, he changed the game against Orlando, and was pretty good in the preseason as well.

If I didn't know any better I would have said that Shelton was a seasoned vet amongst nervous rookies (aside from Mix).
Having the team playing less than great probably took some pressure off him coming on. He really couldn't be any worse than anything else that was going on... Plus, getting to just observe from the sidelines probably gave him ideas and such.

Its good to sit out for a bit sometimes and just watch.

Totally agree. No one was feeding him the ball. The entire first half the team couldn't create any kind of offense. I don't blame Villa for hogging the ball when he finally got it. He was visibly upset with how the team was playing.

I'm sorry, but to fault anyone during this first game isn't fair at all. That being said, here's the following lol.

Nemac's first touch was horrid, he lost two or three balls to just shinning them away.

Jacobson had some pretty good tackles, I liked his willingness to get stuck in for the ball.

Brovsky had a terrible game. He got turned around multiple times and got beat several others. He gave away the ball easily and deflected Kaka's ball because he jumped out of the wall which is a huge no-no, training camp stuff. If you're spaced off the wall, it's a problem.

Villa had a decent day considering he was being shadowed most of the time. He is by far our best player and every team knows that. It's going to be up to his striking partner, Nemac in this game, to relieve pressure because if they can't let him move off the ball he won't be effective.

Other than that, we scored a goal and didn't lose! For a first game, I'm thrilled!

See everyone in the Bronx next week.

Totally agree. No one was feeding him the ball. The entire first half the team couldn't create any kind of offense. I don't blame Villa for hogging the ball when he finally got it. He was visibly upset with how the team was playing.
Don't blame Villa for that at all. It's important for the captain of this team to let everyone know when they're not doing something right.
He's got the right approach and was cleRly happy for Mix when he scored. The guys wants the team to win and be successful. The first 45 was not a step in that direction. Don't know what was said at half but they came out in the second half much better going forward.

Reactions: Drainyoo
Man finally got a chance to write a bit. Fantastic time at banter bar watching game.

Haven't read previous pages so forgive if I'm saying things said already.

Overall I guess ill take the point considering we had a very bad first half. Defense still needs work but I feel like team is still behind everyone in terms of fitness. But I am sure after a few games they will be good.

Shelton like the kids attitude and Ivan sure we will get more good times with him his hustle lead to that play that went to that corner for the goal.

Villa, the dude was frustrated but can't feel like it's allis fault when offense was few and far all game. Still maybe as time passes collectors games then better understanding leads to more goals.

Big props to saunders. Dude literally bled for the team today.

As for Orlando. I guess they will find out soon enough that this ain't third division and all that diving won't get you that far

Onto the next game

villa was doing exactly what a second striker is supposed to do. nemec didnt help because he didnt move much up top, and if you give him the ball theres a good chance nothing will come of it. the whole first half we lacked support around the ball. the second half looked much better khiry definitely made a difference out there

Reactions: Midas Mulligan