Away - 04/11 Philadelphia

The funny thing about that is he spends the first few paragraphs talking about how unoriginal NY fans insults towards Philly are. Then spends the rest of the article doing nothing but using unoriginal insults at NYCFC :rolleyes:
GoldmemberWeird.jpg

Unfortunately, can't make it to the Road game this weekend due to college visits with my son. If you want a really good laugh, go down to the smoking area at halftime and check out the Philly wanna be hooligans who will be nearby spewing venom at you. They are a walking caricature.

OK hump day in a game week. Hopefully we can start talking about the game at this point?

I've done a little scouting of the Union and it seems that their manager, Jim Curtin, prefers the 4-2-3-1 formation. Up top is Aristeguieta who has been their best player by far this season with 3 goals (btw, Philly has scored 5 goals in 5 matches, but 2 of those were own goals by their opposition). On the left wing will be Wenger who has looked dangerous in their recent matches. The other attacking midfielders will probably be Pfeffer and Le Toux. Le Toux has struggled with his form so far this season and that is a big deal for the Union as they really rely on him to create attacking plays and to score some goals on his own as well.

The CDMs will probably be Lahoud and Nogueira, although Nogueira is coming back from a minor injury and could be a substitute instead. Nogueira is an important player for connecting their offense and back 4. He's sort of their midfield engine. The back 4 is pretty set in stone with Gaddis at LB, Edu and Vitoria in the middle of the back line and Williams at RB.

As for GK, everyone is well aware of M'bolhi's struggles this season, but you may not be aware that the club has actually sent him away from the squad. M'bolhi is currently in France and may never return to the Union. It looks like McCarthy (last year's USL best keeper) will start at least this match. We may see Andre Blake next week. The Union have really struggled to defend set pieces and have given up the most set piece goals (7) this season. So McCarthy will have his hands full in goal if we can put the ball in dangerous areas on set pieces.

As for impact subs, I'd say Sapong and maybe Carroll could make a difference for Philly late in the match.

I've done a little scouting of the Union and it seems that their manager, Jim Curtin, prefers the 4-2-3-1 formation. Up top is Aristeguieta who has been their best player by far this season with 3 goals (btw, Philly has scored 5 goals in 5 matches, but 2 of those were own goals by their opposition). On the left wing will be Wenger who has looked dangerous in their recent matches. The other attacking midfielders will probably be Pfeffer and Le Toux. Le Toux has struggled with his form so far this season and that is a big deal for the Union as they really rely on him to create attacking plays and to score some goals on his own as well.

The CDMs will probably be Lahoud and Nogueira, although Nogueira is coming back from a minor injury and could be a substitute instead. Nogueira is an important player for connecting their offense and back 4. He's sort of their midfield engine. The back 4 is pretty set in stone with Gaddis at LB, Edu and Vitoria in the middle of the back line and Williams at RB.

As for GK, everyone is well aware of M'bolhi's struggles this season, but you may not be aware that the club has actually sent him away from the squad. M'bolhi is currently in France and may never return to the Union. It looks like McCarthy (last year's USL best keeper) will start at least this match. We may see Andre Blake next week. The Union have really struggled to defend set pieces and have given up the most set piece goals (7) this season. So McCarthy will have his hands full in goal if we can put the ball in dangerous areas on set pieces.

As for impact subs, I'd say Sapong and maybe Carroll could make a difference for Philly late in the match.
Awesome, thanks Paul!

Great recap.

In addition to their set piece woes they are also very undisciplined with two players receiving straight reds for violent conduct.

They also have allowed the most goals after the 75'.

With a full health squad and no international duty, who are your starters?

I'm predicting

Saunders, Brovsky, Wingert, Hernandez, Williams, Grabavoy, Mix, Jacobson, Calle, Villa and Nemec.

Subs: Mullins, Shelton, Poku, Watson-Siriboe, Meara, McNamara, Mendoza

Whoa. I saw that M'bolhi was being benched a few days ago but I did not now that he'd left the country and may not return. That's wild. Thanks for that, Paul Paul.

Whoa. I saw that M'bolhi was being benched a few days ago but I did not now that he'd left the country and may not return. That's wild. Thanks for that, Paul Paul.

Yeah, from his midweek press conference held yesterday it was reported that Curtin thought it best if M'bolhi left the club for a while and so M'bolhi decided to go to France where he has a home. The part about M'bolhi never coming back is more speculative but it is a fact that he's never been benched in his career and did not take it well.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/63217/philadelphia-union-dumps-much-maligned-mbolhi.html

You know, for all the shots that he's missed, and it's been a handful in his first few games this season, that goal he scored for Slovakia might be what gets his groove back. Really wouldn't be surprised to see him find the net in the next two games.
He's probably missed less than Philly's last goalkeeper. ;)

Reactions: thepriceiswrongbob
Philly has got to be looking at these two games and thinking they need to win one to get out of the basement.

They didn't say anything last night about today's Yankee game having the start time pushed back, right? Great game, but creating a sport with a game that doesn't technically ever have to end feels a little dangerous. I guess the same can be said for Pks, though.

They didn't say anything last night about today's Yankee game having the start time pushed back, right? Great game, but creating a sport with a game that doesn't technically ever have to end feels a little dangerous. I guess the same can be said for Pks, though.
No but it will be on tape delay I believe.