Away - 05/14 Dallas

Thought: Do we play the B team vs. Dallas because RSL is easier to beat? Downside would having the A team be on short rest for the Orlando match.

And do we see a GK change at all? Or does the Milkman always deliver?
There are arguments for this but I like the stronger team to face Dallas. #1 We don't want to walk away from a game in favor of another. #2 We need the experience and confidence by beating the better clubs.

Reactions: Yankeedom
MLS tends to crown champions in the spring with their articles. Anointing shitty, lucky Orlando, and calling Dallas potentially better than peak LA in May is silly, but not out of the ordinary for MLS articles.

Now THIS, on the other hand, is quality analysis: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/05/08/are-new-york-city-fc-best-team-mls-so-far-expected-goals
I saw that NYCFC/xGD article early this morning. The comments are hilarious.
The first topic is an extended debate on regular season vs playoffs, because this is MLS, even though it has nothing to do with the article. Somehow nobody brought up pro/rel.
There is also extended discussion of pro-NYC bias, because the people who invented xGD obviously did so to promote NYCFC, although they did so before the team existed. Then there is the criticism of xGD because it does not perfectly track W/L/D, which completely misses the point of xGD, and reads like a debate over baseball's Pythagorean theorem from 20 years ago. And of course our pitch size comes up. It is almost the perfect form of MLSoccer.com comments.

MLS tends to crown champions in the spring with their articles. Anointing shitty, lucky Orlando, and calling Dallas potentially better than peak LA in May is silly, but not out of the ordinary for MLS articles.

Now THIS, on the other hand, is quality analysis: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/05/08/are-new-york-city-fc-best-team-mls-so-far-expected-goals
The xG article is fine. He basically just prints the stats and says, "this has happened." Ben likes NYCFC from what I can tell, and that's kind of his thing (that's why he's "The Research Bear").

I don't think Will was crowning a champion at all. I think he offered a pretty good damn take on what OCSC was doing to have success. But you're not one for subtlety these days, for whatever reason. Look beyond the headlines of those articles from Will and you'll see there's a lot of substantive, analytical meat.

If you don't like the headlines on the site, I get it. But I just think you're being unjustifiably harsh on the best soccer journalist on the whole site. It's absolutely the same on every sports site in every league. He may get stuck with shitty headlines because that's the deal, but his articles are balanced, well-researched, and well-written relative to most sportswriters.

Parchman text:
But in the Dallas of the last two years I see the kernels of a run every bit as impressive as what the Galaxy pulled off half a decade ago.
MLSsoccer.com headline:
Parchman: Time to wake up to the MLS greatness in our midst in Dallas

Take a passing comparison, blow it up into something controversial to drive traffic. That's how shit works these days. Choice for me is deal with it and read the content of writers I like or give up the internet.

Last edited:
The xG article is fine. He basically just prints the stats and says, "this has happened." Ben likes NYCFC from what I can tell, and that's kind of his thing (that's why he's "The Research Bear").

I don't think Will was crowning a champion at all. I think he offered a pretty damn take on what OCSC was doing to have success. But you're not one for subtlety these days, for whatever reason. Look beyond the headlines of those articles from Will and you'll see there's a lot of substantive, analytical meat.

If you don't like the headlines on the site, I get it. But I just think you're being unjustifiably harsh on the best soccer journalist on the whole site. It's absolutely the same on every sports site in every league. He may get stuck with shitty headlines because that's the deal, but his articles are balanced, well-researched, and well-written relative to most sportswriters.

Parchman text:
MLSsoccer.com headline:

Take a passing comparison, blow it up into something controversial to drive traffic. That's how shit works these days. Choice for me is deal with it and read the content of writers I like or give up the internet.
Settle down francis. I liked the article, your guy is great. It looked funny that they had a, this is the best team of the century headline, under their this is the best team of the century article.

Settle down francis. I liked the article, your guy is great. It looked funny that they had a, this is the best team of the century headline, under their this is the best team of the century article.
I'm settled. Just like to distinguish between what I think is worthwhile reading and the shit that is most of the shit on MLS.

Orlando is the most important game of the three. We also have 3 days off between RSL and Orlando and only 2 days off between Dallas and RSL.

Perhaps we will rest 1-2 guys against Dallas, and 2-4 others against RSL and go full strength against Orlando.

I would expect Villa to play in all 3 games and maybe go 90 in all 3 games.

It's too bad we don't have Herrera for these because we'd have 4 solid players for the 3 midfield spots and be able to rest people without giving up quality.

I expect we will probably see two of Pirlo, Ring and Maxi each sit once in favor or TMac and/or Camargo. I expect Wallace will sit once for one of those guys or Lewis. Maybe Jack sits once. Maybe White or Sweat. I think the CBs play all the games.

ETA: Without Shelton, you have to wonder if Jack will sit. Better to give him a game off, but I'm not sure who you put there. Camargo, Lewis and TMac will already be in a bit to sub for Wallace and one of the CMs. Maybe Stertzer gets a nod one game in midfield and you put one of those three up front - or maybe even Maxi slides up there.

Will be interesting.
Watch NYCFC second unit play today and Lewis Stertzer and Okoli looked sharp. Camargo was okay and TMac missed a lot of chances.

I have no clue what we do against Dallas. Pirlo will get destroyed again. Pirlo is fine against RSL.

Maybe you go McNamara instead of Herrera. I was wrong about Ring. He can absolutely play the 6 if he has a partner who is committed to getting back.

Reactions: Schwallacus
I think you can go with the usual suspects this game. Tinker vs. RSL because they're not doing anything out of the ordinary that needs us to adjust too much tactically. I think if you steal a point vs. Dallas, you can make any number of needed subs and get a point from RSL, but go for the jugular in Orlando with as much of the usual 11 as you can.

I'd like to see Okoli get some more run, along with Camargo and RJ. Starting them with Pirlo, Mac, Sterzer... they could find a goal in Sandy. But remember, we've seen our CBs play pretty consistently on short rest, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Callens or Chanot play all three. That said, there are much much worse backup CBs than Brillant in this league, so I wouldn't shy away from using him if need be.

I have no clue what we do against Dallas. Pirlo will get destroyed again. Pirlo is fine against RSL.

Maybe you go McNamara instead of Herrera. I was wrong about Ring. He can absolutely play the 6 if he has a partner who is committed to getting back.

Herrera Out. Camargo In.

Reactions: Kjbert
Shout out to The Toe The Toe for originally posting these tweets on the Atlanta post game thread:

No Alexi Lalas in Texas for our match. So things are promising. Eric Wynalda is a question mark.

They have FC Dallas' regular TV announcer doing the play-by-play. With JP Dellacamara doing the Galaxy - Red Fools match, it makes you wonder where John Strong will be.

They have FC Dallas' regular TV announcer doing the play-by-play. With JP Dellacamara doing the Galaxy - Red Fools match, it makes you wonder where John Strong will be.

Looks like Strong and Holden are calling the Red Fool Leipzig - Bayern Munich game on Saturday morning on Big Fox. Not sure why they can't do that one and a Sunday MLS game as usual unless they are flying them to Germany.

Really wish we had JP. Best American soccer announcer in my book.

Looks like Strong and Holden are calling the Red Fool Leipzig - Bayern Munich game on Saturday morning on Big Fox. Not sure why they can't do that one and a Sunday MLS game as usual unless they are flying them to Germany.

Really wish we had JP. Best American soccer announcer in my book.

Ian Darke is American in my book.

“We are going to take 20 players to Dallas and the others will stay here (in New York),” said Vieira. “Then some of them will leave Dallas for New York while some of those that stayed home will fly directly to Salt Lake.”

Vieira suggested that there will be a player rotation in the starting group although it will not be dramatic.​

http://sbisoccer.com/2017/05/nycfc-notes-finding-balance-herrera-departs-for-u-20-world-cup-and-more

Oh my god. I wrote this on Tuesday.
This how I would do it. 20 players (18 + 1 outfield player + 1 keeper) sent directly to Dallas for the match. Those would may be in the 18 for the RSL match travel to Utah, those that don't then go straight to Orlando. Send all non-Dallas players that may be in the 18 for the RSL game directly to RSL. Then everyone gets to Orlando finally.

Vieira reads the forums!