Away - 07/24 RBNJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gideon Baah out for a few months with a fractured tibia. Red Bulls lacking CB depth.

Reactions: adam
That stinks for Baah, but they are getting Perrinelle back.

I still don't know how they pulled off a clean sheet last weekend with their top 3 CBs out.
Perrinelle had a very solid return in that match. Colin will be back off suspension as well

Lots of tickets left but unless you're getting yours through SG's, you'll pay a premium. The scumbags at RB were nice enough to increase the price of single match end line tickets in the upper bowl 83% from $30 to $55. Screwing their own non STH fans in the process as well.

Perrinelle had a very solid return in that match. Colin will be back off suspension as well
Villa owned Colin.... Just like Harrison owned Lade.... If we come out with the same intensity/focus like the last derby, RB's defense won't have an answer for our front line. I just hope our guys have been sitting in an ice bath with IV's dangling from their arms ever since Sunday's meltdown.

Reactions: Kjbert
Villa owned Colin.... Just like Harrison owned Lade.... If we come out with the same intensity/focus like the last derby, RB's defense won't have an answer for our front line. I just hope our guys have been sitting in an ice bath with IV's dangling from their arms ever since Sunday's meltdown.

Bigger pitch seems to help us and let's see if we get our mojo back in Montreal. Will be interesting to see what we put out. He rested quite a few before the first derby but that was a midweek.

Bigger pitch seems to help us and let's see if we get our mojo back in Montreal. Will be interesting to see what we put out. He rested quite a few before the first derby but that was a midweek.
I don't think we can or should rest our 1st team provided their baseline fitness levels have recovered by Sunday. A head-2-head vs Montreal is vital to winning the East.

I don't think we can or should rest our 1st team provided their baseline fitness levels have recovered by Sunday. A head-2-head vs Montreal is vital to winning the East.
Agreed. Health permitting, I'd be very surprised if we don't see the regular front six, hopefully Allen and Matarrita at fullback and then Brillant and either Hernandez or Mena at CB.

Agreed. Health permitting, I'd be very surprised if we don't see the regular front six, hopefully Allen and Matarrita at fullback and then Brillant and either Hernandez or Mena at CB.

Yep. Barring injury or suspension, our lineups for the balance of the season should be pretty consistent. The more interesting speculation will be who makes the 18, not who makes the 11.

It's possible Chanot could have a week or so of practice with the team under his belt by this game. Would you debut him in the derby or wait?

I know Vieira wouldn't care what game, they're all the same in his eyes - when he's ready, he's ready.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
It's possible Chanot could have a week or so of practice with the team under his belt by this game. Would you debut him in the derby or wait?

I know Vieira wouldn't care what game, they're all the same in his eyes - when he's ready, he's ready.
Even assuming he is ultimately viewed as a starter, I would, personally, be surprised to see him start that match given that he won't have had more than week of training (prior familiarity with Brillant being a partial mitigant to that) and one doesn't know what shape he is since the European season ended two months ago. Plus, I thought Mena was great against BWP and while I personally wouldn't necessarily make decisions on that basis, I suspect it will play in.

All that being said, if he is really actually good on the ball, that is a match you want him in, so maybe.

On a side note, one of the most interesting topics to me that doesn't get discussed that much, but on which there seems to be a wide range of opinion, is Mena's ball skills. I say this as one of the biggest Mena supporters out there, but I have always found him to be painful on the ball and I thought he was mediocre against the RB and poor against NE. At the same time, I periodically hear comments lauding his ball skills. Just another example of how we can all watch the same thing and interpret it very differently.

Even assuming he is ultimately viewed as a starter, I would, personally, be surprised to see him start that match given that he won't have had more than week of training (prior familiarity with Brillant being a partial mitigant to that) and one doesn't know what shape he is since the European season ended two months ago. Plus, I thought Mena was great against BWP and while I personally wouldn't necessarily make decisions on that basis, I suspect it will play in.

All that being said, if he is really actually good on the ball, that is a match you want him in, so maybe.

On a side note, one of the most interesting topics to me that doesn't get discussed that much, but on which there seems to be a wide range of opinion, is Mena's ball skills. I say this as one of the biggest Mena supporters out there, but I have always found him to be painful on the ball and I thought he was mediocre against the RB and poor against NE. At the same time, I periodically hear comments lauding his ball skills. Just another example of how we can all watch the same thing and interpret it very differently.
Mena is a very good dribbler but his passing is lacking. So he's both good and bad on the ball depending on what play one thinks about.

Mena is a very good dribbler but his passing is lacking. So he's both good and bad on the ball depending on what play one thinks about.
That's a fair, nuanced, answer which I agree with. It leads me to view him as poor because I want my CB running with the ball about once a game if there is a real opportunity to go far. Otherwise it just drags him out of position and creates real exposure if there is turnover. Ultimately, I care a lot more about the passing skills.

One of the things I remember talking about in preaseason was that I liked what I saw from Brillant because he could pass the ball more incisively from a deeper position in contrast with Hernandez/White who tend to dribble forward while trying to find a pass. The image of Hernandez stepping forward slowly with the ball with his hands in the air is one of those things that I associate with the worst of this team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.