Away - 09/30 Houston

I'm not sure lineup matters anymore, we play so fluid. But McNamara ended up playing the most in the middle last week, despite Mendoza technically starting there, according to the heatmaps on whoscored.com.

By the way, if it wasn't obvious before (there's been a lot of bickering about Lampard shirking his midfield duties), it's pretty certain that Vieira has quietly shifted us to a 3-3-4 system that he hinted at trying way back in ~May.

nA9g4vI.png

Two things to notice here. (1) McNamara played even with Villa over the course of the game. It is clear that there are four players up top that, at best, only occasionally drop back into midfield duties. (2) Matarrita played higher than Iraola and Pirlo. He's a midfielder that tracks back a little extra to shift us to a 4-man backline when needed. This also makes clear why Hernandez is playing over Allen. His spot is as much or more RCB as it is RFB.

My lineup for Houston:

F: Harrison, Villa, Shelton
M: Pirlo, Iraola, ^McNamara
D: ^Matarrita, Mena, Brillant, Hernandez

^Indicates the player is often playing up a line.
I know you know that the heat maps aren't always useful for observations like that. Our wide players are going to look pinched since they flip side to side.

I agree that t Mac was doing most of the heavy lifting in center mid, as he's been doing for a while now.

I know you know that the heat maps aren't always useful for observations like that. Our wide players are going to look pinched since they flip side to side.

I agree that t Mac was doing most of the heavy lifting in center mid, as he's been doing for a while now.

Left to right, I agree that the heatmap can get messed up. But north-south, it's pretty telling to see all four of those guys in a line up top.

If RJ was starting at RB, we could play a 2-4-4. Now that would be ballsy! Probably make Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan all warm inside.
It wouldn't make me sad. I told you bitches that we would be 3 in the back all the way back before the season started.

Given how Hernandez et al play back there, what's their fucking point anyway. Ditch them and Saunders. 0-0-7-4 FTW, Pigeon_Shits, Right @FooTYL @#GOODDFELLEA
!!!!!

(Did I do that right, you fucking hate mongers?)

Just checked the forecast for Houston. It isn't supposed to be nasty hot and humid like it was down there for their game last week. High 83 Low 61 with 65% humidity, not the 80+% humidity they had a week ago. Should be like a summer night game in NYC.

Would it be affected by Villa covering deep for corners and Mendoza staying up top as the outlet?

Yes, good point. But that probably represents 5' of game time, or 5.5%. In addition, it *should* be factored in to show that Mendoza has fewer defensive responsibilities, which is especially insightful if all you looked at was the starting lineup which listed him as an attacking midfielder.

I'm not sure lineup matters anymore, we play so fluid. But McNamara ended up playing the most in the middle last week, despite Mendoza technically starting there, according to the heatmaps on whoscored.com.

By the way, if it wasn't obvious before (there's been a lot of bickering about Lampard shirking his midfield duties), it's pretty certain that Vieira has quietly shifted us to a 3-3-4 system that he hinted at trying way back in ~May.

nA9g4vI.png

Two things to notice here. (1) McNamara played even with Villa over the course of the game. It is clear that there are four players up top that, at best, only occasionally drop back into midfield duties. (2) Matarrita played higher than Iraola and Pirlo. He's a midfielder that tracks back a little extra to shift us to a 4-man backline when needed. This also makes clear why Hernandez is playing over Allen. His spot is as much or more RCB as it is RFB.

My lineup for Houston:

F: Harrison, Villa, Shelton
M: Pirlo, Iraola, ^McNamara
D: ^Matarrita, Mena, Brillant, Hernandez

^Indicates the player is often playing up a line.

Great post. Absolutely right. Hernandez is in as a RCB. Matarrita plays as a Left Wing Back and tracks back.

What bothers me is that Hernandez has been MISERABLE as a RCB. I think he has been fine this year as a traditional CB in a standard 4-3-3, but you've seen him extend to having to play a lot of 1 v 1 on the wing and he has been awful.

Reactions: sbrylski
In the post match presser Vieira stated he was hopeful Chanot would be available for Houston.

Omg, really? This could literally save our season. With/without Chanot is the difference between contender/pretender, IMO.

EDIT: Maybe not:

Lampard and Chanot’s recoveries at different points
Frank Lampard and Maxime Chanot did some light training this week but Lampard remains closer to a return than Chanot. Lampard injured his calf during the Sept. 17 but remains on the same three-to-four week timeline that NYCFC had previously announced.

Chanot suffered a herniated disk in training the day before and while he did some light running, remains out indefinitely. Vieira said the club will check his status every day but admitted that it is still ‘a few weeks before he can start training’ with the club again.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/nycfc...re-playing-time-lampard-chanot-updates-54119/

Last edited:
Without Mendoza, Jack is likely to start on the left wing. That being said, I still think he should get rest and put McNamara on the left wing and start Mix in the midfield. That is surely a better combination than Tony Taylor on the wing and McNamara in the midfield.

Reactions: Kjbert