Away - 10/30 Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super excited about this game. Bravo or Iraola could be our key to this series. Bradley is their engine. We need to shut him down. Giovinco is magic. If we're gonna lose, it better be because he pulled out all his tricks and we couldn't stop him.

We're evenly matched which I'm excited/nervous about. Can our stars keep a cool head and stay focused throughout the series? Villa can get flustered: let's hope they all stay composed.

Toronto just got their first playoff win: let's do the same against them!

I did really like the formation we played last week, but it was much more counter-attacking in nature. With Toronto on short rest, I think I'd like a more traditional 4-3-3 that presses the defense a bit. Especially considering this is a road game and the importance that away goals have. Let's score a lot here.

Additionally, though I'm not a big fan of him, maybe Mikey Lopez gets run out onto the field if we're up a goal or two in the second half. Let that asshole run at Bradley and drive him nuts, tire him out, and maybe get him into a second yellow.

I did really like the formation we played last week, but it was much more counter-attacking in nature. With Toronto on short rest, I think I'd like a more traditional 4-3-3 that presses the defense a bit. Especially considering this is a road game and the importance that away goals have. Let's score a lot here.

Additionally, though I'm not a big fan of him, maybe Mikey Lopez gets run out onto the field if we're up a goal or two in the second half. Let that asshole run at Bradley and drive him nuts, tire him out, and maybe get him into a second yellow.
It is a countering formation, but the strength plays to stopping their offense with enough guys that we don't surrender our usual brain fart marking blunder. And the beauty of the counter is that it sucker punches in the gut when their mids/defenders push too high and our wingbacks both have the freedom to bomb forward (with 3CBs and Bravo staying home) - it really will hurt them more chasing on defense when they're suckered forward rather than if they stay put knowing we're in our spread-out 433. My fear with the 433 is that we're vulnerable to Altidore/Gio with our base 4 in the back especially if one wingback has pushed forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam and Kjbert

If Bradley can't handle Mikey Lopez he should just retire.

You know who has successfully harassed Bradley and would be perfect for our midfield this game? Mix Diskerud

Thanks for the info!! I'll sit in away supporters area then!
Its nice to sit the way section for these games! makes us seem bigger! and louder!! Last time I was with the away supporters it was such a good atmosphere! and TFC fans arent like hostile as long as your respectful!

Reactions: Albany_NYCFC
It's pretty simple. You get 2 Yellows in the playoffs, and you miss the next game - unless that next game is the MLS Cup Final.

So, if either Bradley or Altidore get a Yellow on Sunday, they won't be playing in Yankee Stadium. We do not have such a problem, which is one advantage of the bye that I hadn't thought of.

I hadn't realized it either but this is a huge advantage. Bradley has to think twice about hacking someone down because he gets a yellow and he misses the away leg. Altidore flops / whines to the ref - and he could miss the away leg.

Its nice to sit the way section for these games! makes us seem bigger! and louder!! Last time I was with the away supporters it was such a good atmosphere! and TFC fans arent like hostile as long as your respectful!
They are just a friendly bunch of maple syrup drinkers. They mean you no harm.
giphy.gif

Giovinco is responsible for something like 65% of Toronto's goals. So you either have to starve him of service or man-mark him out of the game. Will be interesting to see how PV plays it - either going with Bravo in the first game to man-mark or trying to control the game with Iraola and Pirlo.

Reactions: Kjbert
Giovinco is responsible for something like 65% of Toronto's goals. So you either have to starve him of service or man-mark him out of the game. Will be interesting to see how PV plays it - either going with Bravo in the first game to man-mark or trying to control the game with Iraola and Pirlo.
The key to Gio (for us) has always been to niggle him with grabs and kicks to the shins every time he touches the ball. RJ has really thrown him off his game in the past by being so constantly physical that the Atomic Ant has a control-rod meltdown to the point of looking over his shoulder as he receives the ball and dishing it off immediately before getting the love taps. The guy just can't stand the hand checking and shin bruising.

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2016/10/27/vieira-we-must-enjoy-playoff-pressure

Another tough choice when it comes to team selection will be in the goalkeeper position.

Following Eirik Johansen’s impressive MLS debut on Sunday, it remains to be seen whether it will be the Norwegian or Josh Saunders between the posts in Canada on Sunday.

Patrick confirmed that he was happy with Eirik’s first league showing but has not taken a decision on who will play.

He added: “I still have a few days to make this important decision – I’m really happy with Eirik’s performance against Columbus and I was really happy with Josh and the way he played the season so far. We’re going into a critical period of the season and we’ll have to make a lot of difficult decisions – this is one of them.

Critical period, difficult decision...#StartEirik

If Bradley can't handle Mikey Lopez he should just retire.

You know who has successfully harassed Bradley and would be perfect for our midfield this game? Mix Diskerud
If he were a real captain, he would just retire from the national team out of respect for how shit he's been for 3 years.

I say that to say, I'm not sure Bradley is the person to be concerned about so much as Cheyrou.

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2016/10/27/vieira-we-must-enjoy-playoff-pressure

Another tough choice when it comes to team selection will be in the goalkeeper position.

Following Eirik Johansen’s impressive MLS debut on Sunday, it remains to be seen whether it will be the Norwegian or Josh Saunders between the posts in Canada on Sunday.

Patrick confirmed that he was happy with Eirik’s first league showing but has not taken a decision on who will play.

He added: “I still have a few days to make this important decision – I’m really happy with Eirik’s performance against Columbus and I was really happy with Josh and the way he played the season so far. We’re going into a critical period of the season and we’ll have to make a lot of difficult decisions – this is one of them.

Critical period, difficult decision...#StartEirik

Also, you left out what could be read as the most telling last line of that article:

“In the last three months we’ve played some really good football and that makes it difficult to leave guys out but this is my job.”

If you really dissect that sentence, I'd connect the "last three months" with "leave guys out" (guy being left out played last 3 months). It could go either way, but to me it sounds like: "although we've played well in the last three months, we might have to leave one of those guys out. It's difficult, but that's my job."

Also, you left out what could be read as the most telling last line of that article:

“In the last three months we’ve played some really good football and that makes it difficult to leave guys out but this is my job.”

If you really dissect that sentence, I'd connect the "last three months" with "leave guys out" (guy being left out played last 3 months). It could go either way, but to me it sounds like: "although we've played well in the last three months, we might have to leave one of those guys out. It's difficult, but that's my job."
TMac may be one of them omitted if we continue to use the formation from Sunday. He doesn't fit the speedy winger role and he's shown the last few games he can't control the middle.

Honestly, I'm in the camp of starting Saunders. Eirik is still too much of an unknown to put this amount of pressure on him in only his second meaningful start. We didn't become the best road team in the league with him, and I'd be really surprised to see him out there on Sunday. Depending on the results, maybe MAYBE give him a home start.

Status
Not open for further replies.