Away - 10/31 Columbus - 1st Leg ECS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love to see tonight's game go into extra time just to put a few extra minutes on the legs of whoever we end up facing. Having it end in PKs would be nice to, in order to provide a little bit of tape on how our opponents take PKs, in case we end up finding ourselves in that situation on the back end of the home-and-home.

FALSE.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015...101-everything-you-need-know-about-postseason

CONFERENCE SEMIFINALS AND CHAMPIONSHIPS
Once the single-elimination Knockout Round matches narrow the field, the format switches to two-match, aggregate-goal series for the Conference Semifinals and Conference Championships, with the lower seed hosting the first leg and the higher seed hosting the second leg. The team with the most total goals over two legs advances.

If the teams score an equal number of goals over the course of both matches, the team with the most road goals in the series advances to the Conference Championship. If at the end of the 180 minutes the teams are tied on both total goals and away goals, the teams will play two 15-minute extra time periods in which away goals DO NOT count, followed by, if necessary, penalty kicks to determine a winner.
Well yeah, I guess I worded it wrong , but road goals are not the first tie breaker like it is in the rest of the world. Total goals is the most important metric to start with if tied on points.

Losing 1-4 and winning 2-0 does squat for us even with that road goal. A 1-3 and 2-0 does win it for us.

Well yeah, I guess I worded it wrong , but road goals are not the first tie breaker like it is in the rest of the world. Total goals is the most important metric to start with if tied on points.

Losing 1-4 and winning 2-0 does squat for us even with that road goal. A 1-3 and 2-0 does win it for us.

Road goals only comes into effect if the scoreline is tied -- isn't that how it works in Champions League?

What I was referring to was last year, when we lost 2-0 on the road and got behind 1-0 at home -- that meant we had to score four goals to win. We can't let something like that happen again.

Really, what are you talking about?

Really, I still don't know what you were talking about.

You are aware of an instance in which aggregate goals isn't the dispositive element in an aggregate goals series?
The initial question was geared towards away goals, not aggregate goals. My response was that away goals aren’t the key tiebreaker since total goals are more important.

It’s almost seems as if you didn’t bother to read the history of the comments before chiming in.

The initial question was geared towards away goals, not aggregate goals. My response was that away goals aren’t the key tiebreaker since total goals are more important.

It’s almost seems as if you didn’t bother to read the history of the comments before chiming in.
I think the confusion is because aggregate goals isn't a tiebreaker, its how the series is decided.

The way I was reading your post was as if total goals was the first tiebreaker, then followed by away goals. It had me spinning my wheels trying to figure out what exactly you were saying.

ETA: In your post I quoted you say "My response was that away goals aren’t the key tiebreaker since total goals are more important."

Like, don't we all know total goals are more important? That's how the game works. This isn't a group stage.

I think the confusion is because aggregate goals isn't a tiebreaker, its how the series is decided.

The way I was reading your post was as if total goals was the first tiebreaker, then followed by away goals. It had me spinning my wheels trying to figure out what exactly you were saying.

ETA: In your post I quoted you say "My response was that away goals aren’t the key tiebreaker since total goals are more important."

Like, don't we all know total goals are more important? That's how the game works. This isn't a group stage.
I see what you’re saying and where the miscommunication came in.

Would love to see tonight's game go into extra time just to put a few extra minutes on the legs of whoever we end up facing. Having it end in PKs would be nice to, in order to provide a little bit of tape on how our opponents take PKs, in case we end up finding ourselves in that situation on the back end of the home-and-home.

Well done soup

I think we match up better vs crew but by the end of the game atlanta lack of depth and health was very apparent. I dont know if things turned out in our favor tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.