Away - 10/31 Columbus - 1st Leg ECS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something of note is that Artur did not play vs NYCFC on decision day. He actually missed both NYCFC games this year for varying reasons. He has been one of the Crew's best players so the Crew may be a little better defensively then they were on Sunday

Artur is also one yellow card from a suspension. So if he gets on on this leg, he is suspended from the next leg.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Did anybody notice what Columbus was doing to break the Atlanta press that is different than what we do (it’s a rhetorical question)?

The way we break out of the back (unless we go Route1), our CB makes a short pass to either the outside back or the dropping midfielder- both being short/square passes. And that player either passes to the wing/forward/or back to the Defense if nothing is there. It looked like Atlanta was pressing to close down/cover the outside back and the dropping mid from receiving the pass - and in our case we would have kicked long to go over the top - but it looked like Columbus figured out they could go straight from the CB to the Wing with a longer ground pass that had to thread the needle between the pressing players.

At first it looked like a one-off or two-off pass, but they kept doing it and were constantly successful even though the ball passed really close between the defenders while looking like a dangerous choice. It also seemed to have the dual effect of wearing out the pressing forwards/mids by making them press futilely and then recover to support their D.

I don’t remember if Columbus did it to us too, because my seats sucked for seeing the big picture, but it did seem like they were breaking out pretty easily in the second half of our match.

Seven Seven I'v been trying to find the clip of David's son Dabbing it came up on my Facebook news feed . You had a question on another thread about the Villa dab and that was the answer . I'm pissed because i can't find the Damn thing to send to you . I hope you seen it . Now on to this thread topic . I see the start line up is already been posted . Do you think my man will see any light of day at all for the rest of the season . If not then he should pack up the new family now and head home .

Did anybody notice what Columbus was doing to break the Atlanta press that is different than what we do (it’s a rhetorical question)?

The way we break out of the back (unless we go Route1), our CB makes a short pass to either the outside back or the dropping midfielder- both being short/square passes. And that player either passes to the wing/forward/or back to the Defense if nothing is there. It looked like Atlanta was pressing to close down/cover the outside back and the dropping mid from receiving the pass - and in our case we would have kicked long to go over the top - but it looked like Columbus figured out they could go straight from the CB to the Wing with a longer ground pass that had to thread the needle between the pressing players.

At first it looked like a one-off or two-off pass, but they kept doing it and were constantly successful even though the ball passed really close between the defenders while looking like a dangerous choice. It also seemed to have the dual effect of wearing out the pressing forwards/mids by making them press futilely and then recover to support their D.

I don’t remember if Columbus did it to us too, because my seats sucked for seeing the big picture, but it did seem like they were breaking out pretty easily in the second half of our match.

They went even further with it as the game moved forward with a couple of beautiful long ground passes right up the middle to a CM around midfield. That passing lane opened up perfectly as Atlanta spread to respond to the wing passes you are referring to. It's true we rarely take those passes. As a result our build up feels very mechanical. Incrementally move up the wings, if you get stuck send it back and try the other side.

Disappointing if true but it may be the instructions the team has been given for a couple of reasons. PV may believe the long passes are a greater turn over risk that would lead to us being caught out on a counter so he doesn't allow them. Additionally we do seem to subscribe a bit to the possession is a form a defense approach so a slower build up is seen as a contribution to that. Who knows but it does seem like adding a few of those longer passes in would make us a bit more unpredictable.

Seven Seven I'v been trying to find the clip of David's son Dabbing it came up on my Facebook news feed . You had a question on another thread about the Villa dab and that was the answer . I'm pissed because i can't find the Damn thing to send to you . I hope you seen it . Now on to this thread topic . I see the start line up is already been posted . Do you think my man will see any light of day at all for the rest of the season . If not then he should pack up the new family now and head home .
I did see it, it was pretty adorable. Villa posted a video on his Instagram and NYCFC posted a video on their Twitter

I did see it, it was pretty adorable. Villa posted a video on his Instagram and NYCFC posted a video on their Twitter
ok great! but silence on the Pirlo question ? I know how you feel about him and i'v always been good with that . I got enough love for the both of us . LoL ! It's been a big plus for this forum to have only one woman crazy for him . Could you ever imagine 2 ? OMG !!

So do you think PV will play him ? I see he's still training by the video's they post .

ok great! but silence on the Pirlo question ? I know how you feel about him and i'v always been good with that . I got enough love for the both of us . LoL ! It's been a big plus for this forum to have only one woman crazy for him . Could you ever imagine 2 ? OMG !!

So do you think PV will play him ? I see he's still training by the video's they post .
Sorry, missed that. Probably not. He shouldn't be starting if everyone is healthy and suspension free, and PV rarely subs Pirlo on. But PV has had some strange subs lately, so who knows?

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Sorry, missed that. Probably not. He shouldn't be starting if everyone is healthy and suspension free, and PV rarely subs Pirlo on. But PV has had some strange subs lately, so who knows?
Yep ! Pack up those boy's Andrea get um home for Christmas . I and he have to start living a new life . For him it will be Golden Worry Free and Wonderful !! I'm the one who'll suffer . Twelve fkn years how do you breath with your heart and lungs ripped from you ????

As to you Shit Girl your so lucky !! I see you got 5 good years a head ! God Bless You Sweetie ! Love and Treasure all of them !! :cool:

I think if we’re way behind on the aggregate we’ll definitely see Pirlo subbed on at the end of the match on Sunday for a curtain call because it won’t matter at that point. Also maybe if we’re way ahead, for the same reason. If it’s still to be decided I don’t think we will though.

Does playing Columbus instead of Atlanta change anyone's opinions on Chanot coming in and starting (assuming he is healthy)?

Columbus isn't going to press the same way Atlanta would have, so would likely give Chanot a little more time on the ball in the back and let him get into the game.

Reactions: Kjbert
Artur is also one yellow card from a suspension. So if he gets on on this leg, he is suspended from the next leg.
The rule that 2 yellow cards in the playoffs means a suspension (except if the next game is MLS Cup) is the most valuable part of the first round bye, apart from the risk of losing. Columbus has 3 guys one yellow from a suspension, Vancouver also has 3, and Houston has 4. Red Bulls only 1, Veron.

Does playing Columbus instead of Atlanta change anyone's opinions on Chanot coming in and starting (assuming he is healthy)?

Columbus isn't going to press the same way Atlanta would have, so would likely give Chanot a little more time on the ball in the back and let him get into the game.
It's hard to have an opinion when we haven't seen him. Only PV and the staff get to see him practice. I'll predict that PV keeps the status quo, because even while we stuttered at the end of the season we gave up few goals. Chanot is better at starting our play from the back which can help the offense, but I still think we continue to see Brillant. Won't be upset if I'm wrong.

LOTS of “Save The Crew” banners at Ohio State in Columbus today for College Gameday. The amount of support these fans are feeding their team is genuinely concerning. They have this belief and run of form that I just don’t believe we have right now.

LOTS of “Save The Crew” banners at Ohio State in Columbus today for College Gameday. The amount of support these fans are feeding their team is genuinely concerning. They have this belief and run of form that I just don’t believe we have right now.

Think of cities that have experienced tragedy and the sports teams that have done great following...

September 11th Attacks - Yankees reach the World Series
Boston Marathon bombing - Red Sox wins the World Series
Houston flooding - Astros reach the World Series
Vegas shooting - Golden Knights performing way above expectations early on in the season

A possible relocation isn't the same as the events mentioned above but there's just something there.

That being said, I think we have more talent on an individual basis than Columbus. It's just a question of whether the sum of their parts will be more or less than ours.

We have to run hard at them in Game 1 and force them to defend. If we mirror our defensive tactics from last year’s 1st game versus Toronto, then we’re gonna have problems. Columbus is riding high right now after knocking off Atlanta and the city is galvanized around them, but they’re also coming off a well-traveled road trip and should start to tire at the half or shortly after. Plus, every player they have with a card, we should run at and force them to make a choice.

If PV doesn’t overthink the tactics, I like our chances. And Steffen can’t stay hot forever, he’s had two games in a row of highlight reel saves. We gotta continue to pepper the goal.

We have to run hard at them in Game 1 and force them to defend. If we mirror our defensive tactics from last year’s 1st game versus Toronto, then we’re gonna have problems. Columbus is riding high right now after knocking off Atlanta and the city is galvanized around them, but they’re also coming off a well-traveled road trip and should start to tire at the half or shortly after. Plus, every player they have with a card, we should run at and force them to make a choice.

If PV doesn’t overthink the tactics, I like our chances. And Steffen can’t stay hot forever, he’s had two games in a row of highlight reel saves. We gotta continue to pepper the goal.

We dominated that game at Citi Field last weekend -- we need to play that way again, and the goals will come.

APRIL 29 2017 - MAPFRE Stadium (Win 3-2)
NYCFC

4-3-3
-----Wallace---Okoli----Harrison-----
------Ring---Herrera---Moralez-------
--Sweat--Callens-Chanot-White------
----------------Johnson------------------

Goals: Harrison 8' (Assisted: Moralez); Herrera 64' (Assisted: Sweat, Ring); Harrison 76' (Assisted: Herrera)
Subs: Camargo 86' (for Okoli); Brillant 89' (for Moralez); Allen 90+3' (for Wallace)
Disciplinary: Sweat 2' (Yellow Card); Herrera 17' (Yellow Card); Chanot 79' (Yellow Card)

COLUMBUS
4-2-3-1
-----------------Kamara----------------
-------Meram--Higuan--Finlay------
--------------Abu---Trapp------------
--Raitala--Naess--Mensah--Afful---
----------------Steffen------------------

Goals: Higuain 29' (Assisted: Raitala, Meram); Kamara 49' (Assited: Finlay)
Subs: Hansen 81' (for Meram); Manneh 81' (for Finaly); Jahn 86' (for Naess)
Disciplinary: Raitala 44' (Yellow Card)

Referee: Chris Penso
Assistant Referees: Nick Uranga, Jeremy Hanson
Fourth Official: Younes Marrakchi

OCTOBER 22 2017 - Citi Field (Tie 2-2)
NYCFC
(Indicates change of player in lineup)

4-3-3
-----Wallace---Villa----Harrison-----
------Ring---Herrera---Moralez-------
--Sweat--Callens-Brillant-White------
----------------Johnson------------------

Goals: Villa 18' (Assisted: Moralez); Villa 45'
Subs: Shelton 77' (for Harrison); Matarrita 82' (for Wallace); Lewis 87' (for Herrera)
Disciplinary: Herrera 69' (Yellow Card)

COLUMBUS
(Indicates change of player in lineup)

4-2-3-1
----------------------Kamara----------------
-----------Meram--Higuan--Santos------
--------------------Abu---Trapp-------------
--Raitala--Williams--Mensah--Afful---
---------------------Steffen------------------

Goals: Kamara 11' (Assisted: Higuan); Williams 58' (Assited: Higuan)
Subs: Manneh 66' (for Meram); Jahn 79' (for Abu)
Disciplinary: None

Referee: Ismail Elfath
Assistant Referees: Brian Dunn, Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho
4th Official: Sorin Stoica
Video Assistant Referee (VAR): Edvin Jurisevic

They went even further with it as the game moved forward with a couple of beautiful long ground passes right up the middle to a CM around midfield. That passing lane opened up perfectly as Atlanta spread to respond to the wing passes you are referring to. It's true we rarely take those passes. As a result our build up feels very mechanical. Incrementally move up the wings, if you get stuck send it back and try the other side.

Disappointing if true but it may be the instructions the team has been given for a couple of reasons. PV may believe the long passes are a greater turn over risk that would lead to us being caught out on a counter so he doesn't allow them. Additionally we do seem to subscribe a bit to the possession is a form a defense approach so a slower build up is seen as a contribution to that. Who knows but it does seem like adding a few of those longer passes in would make us a bit more unpredictable.
I think missing Chanot is part of our attacking woes. His passing ability out of the back is very good.

( mgarbowski mgarbowski hinted at this, but I think it's more important than implied by his post)

Last edited:

This is absolutely accurate. If PV tries to play Mourinho ball, we'll be in trouble.

If we attack, we should be good for at least a goal or two, even if we lose by 1. And frankly, I'd rather lose 2-1 (or especially 3-2) than draw 0-0. That makes PV play actual football at home where we can just play a 1 rd. ko game. Take the thinking out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.