Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulrich

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Nov 5, 2015
Posting this here since Dan is probably busy.

No Altidore is a plus. Short rest sucks. We get Bravo back = much better midfield possession.

Who do you think is going to be resting this game? Obviously Pirlo will probably sit and this crazy thought of mine was having Lampard play there in front of Bravo and Mikey. Crazy and hopefully won't happen.
I also had a dream last night that I was talking to PV and he said RJ was resting and Iraola was playing for him... So there's that...

Of course, both we and Toronto have to play on short rest, although our guys had to endure a red eye to get to Toronto this morning.

More importantly, the team has been putting forth insane efforts the last few games - particularly in last night's game in Portland. They looked beyond gassed. A lot of them probably need some extra rest. It will be interesting to see if Coach V is going to give anyone a mid-week break.

Who do you think is going to be resting this game? Obviously Pirlo will probably sit and this crazy thought of mine was having Lampard play there in front of Bravo and Mikey. Crazy and hopefully won't happen.
I also had a dream last night that I was talking to PV and he said RJ was resting and Iraola was playing for him... So there's that...
I'd rest everyone.

This would be my lineup

Taylor - Mullins - Mendoza
Poku - Bravo - Ballouchy
Martinez - Mena - White - Iraola
Johansen

Subs: Villa, Shelton, Lampard, McNamara, Diskerud, Gomez, Saunders

This might be overly simplistic, but I'd rest anyone who needs it and nobody else. This does mean you have to trust your players to tell you how they feel, while occasionally overruling if you think they'll tell you they can go no matter what, but based on recent form and such, I would think it breaks down like this, just based on rest and not strategy, who's better, etc.

Must or should rest:
Villa (he'll claim otherwise)
Shelton (looked gassed)
TMac (although he could fool me)
Pirlo
Hernandez - (worked like crazy)
Brillant (maybe he could go but rest one rest the other?)

Can Play
Mikey has no off switch
Mix has been resting for a month
Saunders - he's a goalie

Hard to Say
Mataritta - ran like crazy but didn't seem gassed
Allen hasn't played much - could be rested, could be working back to fitness

I'd rest everyone.

This would be my lineup

Taylor - Mullins - Mendoza
Poku - Bravo - Ballouchy
Martinez - Mena - White - Iraola
Johansen

Subs: Villa, Shelton, Lampard, McNamara, Diskerud, Gomez, Saunders

Villa and Pirlo will start. Shelton won't. McNamara won't.

This might be overly simplistic, but I'd rest anyone who needs it and nobody else. This does mean you have to trust your players to tell you how they feel, while occasionally overruling if you think they'll tell you they can go no matter what, but based on recent form and such, I would think it breaks down like this, just based on rest and not strategy, who's better, etc.

Must or should rest:
Villa (he'll claim otherwise)
Shelton (looked gassed)
TMac (although he could fool me)
Pirlo
Hernandez - (worked like crazy)
Brillant (maybe he could go but rest one rest the other?)

Can Play
Mikey has no off switch
Mix has been resting for a month
Saunders - he's a goalie

Hard to Say
Mataritta - ran like crazy but didn't seem gassed
Allen hasn't played much - could be rested, could be working back to fitness
There's no need to trust the players on how they feel - the guys have been wearing the HR vests under their jerseys - you can see the sweat pattern at times during games around it (they are those black crop pennies you see in the training pics). By having those, the coaches can mine the data on heart rate, distance covered, overall effort, etc and can gauge the health and recovery of players. It's not new technology - lots of college football teams use it, FSU being the first. Anyway, in practice today and tomorrow, the coaches will be able to see who's body is struggling with recovery. That said, there may be players that want to tough it out, but I bet the coaches won't allow it.

There's no need to trust the players on how they feel - the guys have been wearing the HR vests under their jerseys - you can see the sweat pattern at times during games around it (they are those black crop pennies you see in the training pics). By having those, the coaches can mine the data on heart rate, distance covered, overall effort, etc and can gauge the health and recovery of players. It's not new technology - lots of college football teams use it, FSU being the first. Anyway, in practice today and tomorrow, the coaches will be able to see who's body is struggling with recovery. That said, there may be players that want to tough it out, but I bet the coaches won't allow it.
Even better. If there's hard, reliabe data as to who is struggling, use it. Rest them who need it and play the others.

Reactions: Ulrich
Some of the younger guys can probably handle the 3 games in 6 days. Some other guys are just the type you don't sit because they are too important or too intense (Villa). I also think Coach V is not the kind of guy to sit players that much. Here is my guess.

TMac - Villa - Mendoza
Mix - Bravo - Lopez
Mata - Brillant - White - Allen
Saunders

Bench: Shelton, Mullins, Poku, Ballouchy, Iraola, Mena, Johansen

I think you see TMac sit this one out. And maybe even villa. Bring in Mullins for villa and Taylor for TMac.
Allen gets the day off and bring in Iraola.
But I'd really like villa and TMac and Shelton to go into Saturday with complete rest.

I think IF Villa sits (which I don't think he does) Mullins will have a fire lit under his ass if he's in the 11. Since he hasn't been making the 18 he's definitely got something to prove.

I think you see TMac sit this one out. And maybe even villa. Bring in Mullins for villa and Taylor for TMac.
Allen gets the day off and bring in Iraola.
But I'd really like villa and TMac and Shelton to go into Saturday with complete rest.
If Lurch isn't playing in net, and Villa is sitting, then I want him at CF to win every corner kick.

Only partially kidding....

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
On April 29, 2 days after a dispiriting late tie with Montreal that felt like a loss, and also after a 7-game winless streak, I wanted to predict something good. Like a win streak. Our longest to date was 3-games so I predicted 4 starting against Vancouver:
4-game winning streak starts here.
And we beat Vancouver so I kept it up for DC:
Game 2 of my predicted 4-game win streak.
Then we beat DC so on to Portland:
Game 3 of my ongoing previously predicted 4-game win streak happens here.

And here we are.
Game 4 of the 4-game winning streak happens here.

On April 29, 2 days after a dispiriting late tie with Montreal that felt like a loss, and also after a 7-game winless streak, I wanted to predict something good. Like a win streak. Our longest to date was 3-games so I predicted 4 starting against Vancouver:

And we beat Vancouver so I kept it up for DC:

Then we beat DC so on to Portland:

And here we are.
Game 4 of the 4-game winning streak happens here.
So *you're* the one responsible for this run of good results. Thanks!

Toronto has a lot of individual talent, but their back line looked horrendous Saturday night. I won't predict a win, but if we throw out a semi-competent lineup WITH Villa up front, I think we'll be fine and grab at least a point.

Reactions: DeGrozz and Kjbert
Status
Not open for further replies.