Blues Again Pursuing Spanish Gk, Iker Casillas

In a way, that's my point. I wonder if there is something noteworthy happening behind the scenes that has prevented PV from at least attempting that switch.
I Don't believe that's a possibility. It would mean that both Lurch and Rawls are both so inadequate that the worst keeper in the league is better and I find that impossible to find true. Three guys vying for one position is different than Poku not getting into a crowded midfield.

Reactions: FootyLovin
I Don't believe that's a possibility. It would mean that both Lurch and Rawls are both so inadequate that the worst keeper in the league is better and I find that impossible to find true. Three guys vying for one position is different than Poku not getting into a crowded midfield.
Agreed. If Lurch and Rawls are worse than Saunders, then we have 3 goalies who are all below basic replacement level for the league.

Where we left off: MLS and NYCFC denied talking to Casillas a few months ago...

Yesterday Casillas told a Spanish radio station that they had in fact talked with MLS, however he said:

"No, we have spoken, but the problem they have there is franchise players (DPs), they're outfield players and the subject of goalkeepers (as DPs) is not too important to them. My goal is to stay in Portugal."

So there you have it, Casillas did talk with MLS but because they prefer outfield players over DP players, he's not coming to MLS unless he gets a big salary decrease. He said he has a contract with Porto until 2018 and plans to honor it.

Where we left off: MLS and NYCFC denied talking to Casillas a few months ago...

Yesterday Casillas told a Spanish radio station that they had in fact talked with MLS, however he said:

"No, we have spoken, but the problem they have there is franchise players (DPs), they're outfield players and the subject of goalkeepers (as DPs) is not too important to them. My goal is to stay in Portugal."

So there you have it, Casillas did talk with MLS but because they prefer outfield players over DP players, he's not coming to MLS unless he gets a big salary decrease. He said he has a contract with Porto until 2018 and plans to honor it.

Are you suggesting our club would put out information that would mislead the fanbase?

I don't even understand the reason for denying talks (except being a pathological lier). I don't think he would sign with any other MLS teams, except maybe LA and they don't have a DP spot for him either. Why not just say "yeah we tried, but he wanted to much money and we couldn't afford it under the cap". We'd actually appreciate they were trying.

Are you suggesting our club would put out information that would mislead the fanbase?

I don't even understand the reason for denying talks (except being a pathological lier). I don't think he would sign with any other MLS teams, except maybe LA and they don't have a DP spot for him either. Why not just say "yeah we tried, but he wanted to much money and we couldn't afford it under the cap". We'd actually appreciate they were trying.
I want them to deny it because DP goalies are a bad idea and we shouldn't be pursuing them.

I want them to deny it because DP goalies are a bad idea and we shouldn't be pursuing them.

From the quote it sounded like he was interested, but only for DP money, and they said no. I don't want them to sign a DP keeper, but admit they tried but didn't want a keeper to count as a DP when they saw the salary demands. I agree a DP keeper is a bad idea. But then again, compared to the production we're getting from Frank, we would have been better off with a DP keeper this season.

This will always deny rumors, not to piss off fans, but to not undermine the current staff. (Saunders)
I get what you're saying, but it happens all the time in sports.... it's not like they can censor the league standings, because that should piss off Saunders the most.... and if it doesn't then I don't know....

Reactions: adam
As time goes on, I think you spend your DP dollars on the best three players you can get at that moment, regardless of position. If Casillas is still that good this winter, I would take him to replace Lampard. I would take a CB. I would take a DM. It's all about timing, and I would be OK spending DP dollars on a player that could organize the defense.

Reactions: Keith Putnam
As time goes on, I think you spend your DP dollars on the best three players you can get at that moment, regardless of position. If Casillas is still that good this winter, I would take him to replace Lampard. I would take a CB. I would take a DM. It's all about timing, and I would be OK spending DP dollars on a player that could organize the defense.
If Manuel Neuer lost his mind and wanted to join MLS, I would be more than happy to spend DP money on him.