Can Someone Explain To Me What The "farm Team" Concern Is?

FredMertz

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jun 2, 2014
Many people throw around this fear that NYCFC will be a "farm team" of MC. I have absolutely no idea what people think this means, in practicality. Do people think that we are going to lose players to MCFC? Like Villa will be playing well and called up to the Premier League? Like NYCFC will draft a kid that is so good, MCFC wants him? I wish! These things don't make any practical sense. MLS wouldn't allow it.

Do people think MCFC will send over their reserve players? Can't imagine why they would, and if they did, I don't see why that would be bad. Most of their reserve players would be high-end MLS players.

So much anger here about a concept that does not seem even remotely rooted in reality.

What am I missing?

Oh you mean MCFC being ambiguous about Lampard?
"Lampard’s agent, Steve Kutner, told the Daily News last week a loan extension was “not even discussed.”"

I don't sweat that at all. With the acquisitions this team has made its clear they will compete at the highest level in the MLS. That stands out more than anything else to me. The kit is a result of CFG wanting a brand. I expect our away to be truly representative of our clubs identity. But the players make it obvious this isn't a farm team

Many people throw around this fear that NYCFC will be a "farm team" of MC. I have absolutely no idea what people think this means, in practicality. Do people think that we are going to lose players to MCFC? Like Villa will be playing well and called up to the Premier League? Like NYCFC will draft a kid that is so good, MCFC wants him? I wish! These things don't make any practical sense. MLS wouldn't allow it.

Do people think MCFC will send over their reserve players? Can't imagine why they would, and if they did, I don't see why that would be bad. Most of their reserve players would be high-end MLS players.

So much anger here about a concept that does not seem even remotely rooted in reality.

What am I missing?

I would love to get an answer to this question as well. I've asked it in numerous threads today, and no one has given me a straight answer. UEFA and MLS would never allow MCFC to steal NYCFC players or dump bad players on them. So what's the concern here? Serious questions.

Reactions: Across the Pond
We are MC's little brother in the grand scheme of things. We will never even hold a candle to them as far as revenue and clout goes. What they say goes. I don't have a problem with it - why would they let it flop? Not good for business.

Lampard and Villa being signed with little or no input from Kreis and only some input from Reyna concern me. Pellegrini saying he wants Lampard to stay although he is clearly nycfc's player is also disturbing. Does this mean NYCFC is a farm team? No. But when we are shown the new kit to be a MC clone, it also raises concerns about the farm team concept.

What happens with Lampard will be a pretty good test. As an MCFC supporter who will be following NYCFC closely I'd be concerned if the loan is extended against NYCFC's wishes.

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
Lampard and Villa being signed with little or no input from Kreis and only some input from Reyna concern me.

Who said that? Do you have an article to point to? I highly doubt that since it's Reyna's job to sign players, and I can't imagine Kreis not having input on the players. Where are you getting this from?

Who said that? Do you have an article to point to? I highly doubt that since it's Reyna's job to sign players, and I can't imagine Kreis not having input on the players. Where are you getting this from?

There is a rumor based on some comments Kreis made that he had not spoken to Villa before the signing. Does that mean he wasn't consulted? Probably not

There is a rumor based on some comments Kreis made that he had not spoken to Villa before the signing. Does that mean he wasn't consulted? Probably not

I read that comment from Kreis, but that just means he didn't meet him prior to the signing. It no way means he wasn't involved the decision making process.

I read that comment from Kreis, but that just means he didn't meet him prior to the signing. It no way means he wasn't involved the decision making process.
Given the importance of getting off to a strong start, hard to imagine Kreis would be against either signing. Hard to imagine anyone would be against either signing.

Reactions: Drainyoo
For the record, I don't know about MLS but in Europe it's now fairly standard for managers to be given little or no involvement in picking the players the club will sign. The idea is that you have a club exec with a deep knowledge of the game (Reyna, in NYCFC's case) who determines the style of play and which players will fit that philosophy. Then, if you have to fire your manager, you should still have a functional team and new signings will fit in quickly as the manager is signed to fit the team, not vice versa.

That's the principle, anyway. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's the dominate idea in the top leagues in world football right now, and it's no surprise to me that this idea might filter into MLS. It's little different to NFL teams having General Managers on top of Team Managers, no?

I still reckon Kreis has a fair amount of say, but he probably wasn't the original person to suggest those players, from what I've seen and heard online.

He asked why the farm team fear. I was answering the question. Kreis saying he hasn't spoken to a player before signing is not normal in MLS. Sure in other big leagues, the coach... I mean manager probably never even speaks to the player until he shows up to his first match. But in MLS, the coach is always involved. And of course most managers would want Lampard and Villa.

The MC clone jersey debacle just reinforces the fear that many on this forum and other places have. That MC is just going to force feed, use loopholes and go around Kreis whenever they please. Do I think it will or is happening? I am not sure. I didn't Monday, but maybe I've changed my mind after yesterday.

This is my opinion.