Can The Cosmos Really Manage To Destroy The Nasl Twice?

Ahab_Flanders

Registered
Aug 17, 2014
Interesting article if you haven't seen it yet. And the butthurt Cosmos supporters in the comments section are gold Jerry, gold!

http://www.bigsoccer.com/blog/2015/3/20/can-the-cosmos-really-manage-to-destroy-the-nasl-twice

Ever since that dark, sad day when the actual, real, original North American Soccer League went belly up, the conventional wisdom has said with absolute certainty that more than anything else it was the New York Cosmos that killed it.

Following the Cosmos lead by spending lavishly on players they couldn't afford drove all the other owners bankrupt, or so the theory goes.

We're indebted to Kartik Krishnayer, who was the NASL's head PR guy at the time and thus in a position to know, for recently confirming that yes, indeed, MLS and NASL were well along towards an agreement at one point, with the latter positioned to become the D2 destination league, filling the role that USL is now moving towards.

And then along came the Cosmos.

The Cosmos had money. The Cosmos had glamor. The Cosmos had a name. The NASL was thrilled to have them.

But having turned down the chance to throw in with MLS - which may turn out to have been the bonehead play of the decade - the last thing the NeoCosmos wanted was permanent Little Bro status with Don Garber and the Big Boys.

Meanwhile the Harlem Globetrotters - excuse me, I mean, the Cosmos - have just announced that they're taking their freak show to Cuba to play their national team this Spring. Never mind that it makes no sense. It's all about the headlines.

And just this week it was announced that ManCity New York is smashing all kinds of MLS merchandise sales records. The TV ratings are bonkers, the media is swooning, ticket sales are rocketing skyward and the NeoCosmos - who are averaging under 5000 a game - look more and more like they missed the boat.

I take a perverse pleasure reading articles calling out the f.cosmos for what they are and seeing their butthurt fans cry in the replies.
Tick tock tick tock
Your time is running out.

Reactions: Gene
Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

It kind of reinforces what I've been saying all along. Cosmos management is either full of shit or totally incompetent; and quite frankly I think it's six of one, half dozen of the other.

I walked away when they doomed themselves to the obscurity of the NASL. Anybody with half a brain in their head could see nothing positive would ever come from that and it would be nothing short of disastrous.

I probably would have still followed them somewhat, but (as many of you already know) their internet fan base consists of the biggest bunch of delusional douche bags this side of the moon.

Great article. It's funny that every time someone uses logic against the Cosmos their answer always is "you're just anti-NASL." I said it since the first day that the USl-MLS partnership was first announced, that the NASL's end is imminent.

Reactions: Gene
So I still dont know where the cosmos money is coming from, does anyone even know?

I believe the mystery behind the Cosmos ownership to be the reason for the delay for the Belmont proposal. The officials either don't trust them, or they are still trying to figure out who actually is behind the club.
Sela Sport has a rather shady background, especially when it comes to corruption. If I were a governement official involved in the decision making, I would immediately disqualify them based on that. No way am I going to let myself get tied to some people with that kind of background.