Ottawa (NASL) to USL? UPDATE: Tampa Bay Rowdies too?

sbrylski

Registered
Apr 24, 2014

The CPL isn't ready, looks like they want to sit in USL until it is, if ever.

The NASL is a sinking ship. I posted this in a different thread as my pessimistic prediction, looking like it was actually optimistic:

They could be done, and done fast. Pessimistic timeline prediction:

2016/17 - USL granted D2 status
2017 - Chicago NASL goes on hold due to continued lack of viable stadium deal
2017/18 - Rayo OKC folds
2017/18 - New York Islanders receive approval to build new stadium at Belmont Park
2017/18 - Canadian Premier League (CPL) officially announced, will begin play in 2019 with Ottawa
2018 - Jacksonville, Indy, Carolina, and Tampa announce plans to move from NASL to USL for the 2019 season.
2018 - Edmonton announces move from NASL to CPL for 2019.
2019 - Cosmos, Miami FC, Ft. Lauderdale, Puerto Rico, and San Francisco announce the NASL will not play the 2019 season; league folds.

I'll set the over/under at 3.5 more seasons of NASL. Revise down to 2.5 if USL gets D2 status by end of 2016. I'm expecting that mass exodus of teams that want to exist at all costs (rather than the ideological organizations like the Cosmos and Miami FC) extremely soon after.

interesting....i remember reading somewhere ( or listening on a podcast) that Ottawa wanted out of NASL and wanted to take part in the new Canadian league, but Edmonton did not since they had invested alot in the NASL

So if this comes to pass ( and Rayo OKC also folds since i read its a mess down there) then how can they be a sanctioned D2....i get it they got PR and will get san francisco but is that enough?

i think much will be determined in the next few months when USSF grants or denies the D2 status. interesting times for the lower leagues.

Reactions: JayH and Ulrich
interesting....i remember reading somewhere ( or listening on a podcast) that Ottawa wanted out of NASL and wanted to take part in the new Canadian league, but Edmonton did not since they had invested alot in the NASL

So if this comes to pass ( and Rayo OKC also folds since i read its a mess down there) then how can they be a sanctioned D2....i get it they got PR and will get san francisco but is that enough?

i think much will be determined in the next few months when USSF grants or denies the D2 status. interesting times for the lower leagues.

The NASL will almost have to prop up Rayo OKC in order to have a team in the Central time zone, which is a D2 requirement. There's probably already some teams that are fed up with the NASL and won't want to make more financial commitments. Again, the pessimistic view, this could be the league's first chance to fold.

Reactions: adam
The NASL will almost have to prop up Rayo OKC in order to have a team in the Central time zone, which is a D2 requirement. There's probably already some teams that are fed up with the NASL and won't want to make more financial commitments. Again, the pessimistic view, this could be the league's first chance to fold.
If a league folding isn't an example of an organic evolution, then I don't know what is. Those crazy fanboys are possibly going to get what they've intrinsically been asking for.

Reactions: adam

can NASL even afford to do that? i think USL is set for D2 or "split" USSF D2 like they did a few years back.

can NASL even afford to do that? i think USL is set for D2 or "split" USSF D2 like they did a few years back.

I think that was S sbrylski 's point. Even if they possibly could afford it, with the direction things are going, they couldn't stomach it. And then if no one is willing to artificially float Rayo OKC...

I think that was S sbrylski 's point. Even if they possibly could afford it, with the direction things are going, they couldn't stomach it. And then if no one is willing to artificially float Rayo OKC...

the end of NASL is near ???? when does that decision of division 2 from USSF come?

Tampa Bay Rowdies to leave as well: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...tawa-fury-tampa-bay-rowdies-usl-bill-peterson

This is pretty major. The Rowdies were supposed to be one of the core believers in the league, and they have one of the shortest travel schedules in the league, so there's really no reason to leave other than resignation that the NASL is done.

Pretty much just waiting on the USSF to finish their list of conditions for USL promotion to D2. USL will then finalize it's new format, and then formally accept those teams that are knocking on the door (Ottawa, Tampa Bay) and have a procedure for accepting the others in NASL that wish to also escape via lifeboat (Indy, Carolina, probably Jacksonville).

I'm most intrigued to see what the Cosmos and Miami FC choose as their path forward. The Cosmos could join USL too and try to mold the league structure to their will from within. If they don't see that as a way forward, they're most likely just going to fold.

But there's another option. They earmarked $400 million for their stadium. They could take that money and make the Red Bulls an offer they couldn't refuse. How's this for a brand merger concept?

eTP4d0b.png

Tampa Bay Rowdies to leave as well: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...tawa-fury-tampa-bay-rowdies-usl-bill-peterson

This is pretty major. The Rowdies were supposed to be one of the core believers in the league, and they have one of the shortest travel schedules in the league, so there's really no reason to leave other than resignation that the NASL is done.

Pretty much just waiting on the USSF to finish their list of conditions for USL promotion to D2. USL will then finalize it's new format, and then formally accept those teams that are knocking on the door (Ottawa, Tampa Bay) and have a procedure for accepting the others in NASL that wish to also escape via lifeboat (Indy, Carolina, probably Jacksonville).

I'm most intrigued to see what the Cosmos and Miami FC choose as their path forward. The Cosmos could join USL too and try to mold the league structure to their will from within. If they don't see that as a way forward, they're most likely just going to fold.

But there's another option. They earmarked $400 million for their stadium. They could take that money and make the Red Bulls an offer they couldn't refuse. How's this for a brand merger concept?

eTP4d0b.png
I think losing the Bulls logo would be smart. Bring back Charlie stillitano's Metro/AC Milan stripes and change the Kosmos' color scheme on the logo like you have, and it could work. They'd only need to find a shifty NJ company to sponsor them and it'd be perfect - maybe the Taj Mahal or something....

I think losing the Bulls logo would be smart. Bring back Charlie stillitano's Metro/AC Milan stripes and change the Kosmos' color scheme on the logo like you have, and it could work. They'd only need to find a shifty NJ company to sponsor them and it'd be perfect - maybe the Taj Mahal or something....

Half the reason the Red Bull corporation bought the team is for the free advertising. I would bet that they would demand to retain naming rights to the stadium and jersey sponsorship if they ever sold, perhaps in perpetuity.

The Cosmos playing at Red Bull Arena with the Red Bull logo on their shirt is a legitimate, albeit small, possibility.

Here's green and white kits with the tweaked crest:

sxcBm2a.png

Hn2Ebxs.png

Reactions: FootyLovin
Half the reason the Red Bull corporation bought the team is for the free advertising. I would bet that they would demand to retain naming rights to the stadium and jersey sponsorship if they ever sold, perhaps in perpetuity.

The Cosmos playing at Red Bull Arena with the Red Bull logo on their shirt is a legitimate, albeit small, possibility.

sxcBm2a.png

Hn2Ebxs.png
Not sure they could demand the naming rights in perpetuity- doesn't the town actually own the stadium? So if the team is sold, the rights to naming probably get renegotiated; that or the Kosmos would be receiving a pretty substantial fee (the going rate) for them since money will have to change hands (it's not like Red Bull marketing transferring money internally to Red Bull sport). Any lawyers out there (or anybody else) that understands the stadium ownership issue?

Reactions: NYCFCfan

sxcBm2a.png

Hn2Ebxs.png
Shaft approves

How many, and which clubs could be added to USL? And COULD this be a small leap into pro/rel?
Very doubtful & (nearly) impossible from a contractual position - no MLS owners will buy into the idea that their clubs could be relegated after forking over the expansion entry fee.

And COULD this be a small leap into pro/rel?
If NASL and it's clubs can't stay financially affloat, they would just shut their doors and release their players (if they couldn't attract fans to their stadiums as NASL, demoting down to USL won't help things) . . . and MLS clubs will never support pro / rel if they pay a $100+ million franchise fee just to be relegated to USL.

I just home that NYCFC has assigned somebody to scout the NASL players that may soon be out of contract so we can scoop them up before another team does (working on assumption that some of these players are better than our 20-28 slots).

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I just home that NYCFC has assigned somebody to scout the NASL players that may soon be out of contract so we can scoop them up before another team does (working on assumption that some of these players are better than our 20-28 slots).

Good call. I suspect most teams will just realign with USL, which would become the 2nd tier league. My guess is that the players would go with those teams, but maybe some would have an out. Certainly, some franchises are going to fold, however, and those players would be wide open.

How many, and which clubs could be added to USL? And COULD this be a small leap into pro/rel?
Everyone should read this three part series about the future of soccer in America. It's a fantastic write up that details soccer expansion in America, a potential D2/D3 pro/rel system and much more. Really great stuff.

PART I
PART II
PART III

As to your point, YES. This author suggests that there could be a USL1 and USL2. USL1 would be the bigger, more financially backed and possibly some NASL clubs. USL2 would essentially be smaller, independent clubs that don't meet the D2 requirement as well as development clubs (RBNYII, LAII, SoundersII, etc). This gives the smaller clubs incentive to build up and try and get to the USL1/D2, while giving teams struggling financially in the USL1/D2 a bit of a plan b in USL2/D3.

Everyone should read this three part series about the future of soccer in America. It's a fantastic write up that details soccer expansion in America, a potential D2/D3 pro/rel system and much more. Really great stuff.

PART I
PART II
PART III

As to your point, YES. This author suggests that there could be a USL1 and USL2. USL1 would be the bigger, more financially backed and possibly some NASL clubs. USL2 would essentially be smaller, independent clubs that don't meet the D2 requirement as well as development clubs (RBNYII, LAII, SoundersII, etc). This gives the smaller clubs incentive to build up and try and get to the USL1/D2, while giving teams struggling financially in the USL1/D2 a bit of a plan b in USL2/D3.
Wouldn't it make mores sense for the MLS developmental B teams to play in USL1? Although they are in the 3rd tier now it would be more beneficial for MLS clubs in helping players get to the first team.

Wouldn't it make mores sense for the MLS developmental B teams to play in USL1? Although they are in the 3rd tier now it would be more beneficial for MLS clubs in helping players get to the first team.
It might make more sense, but the other teams in the league don't want II teams competing. They are already barred from competing in the Open Cup.