Changes To The Laws Of The Game

Gavin23

Registered
Feb 21, 2015
New York City
Football is my favorite sport. With that said there are many changes I personally would love to see made to the game. Ive assembled a list based on various suggestions I liked from the web. (yes im bored)
  1. The game clock stops when a:
    • Goal is scored
    • Ref cards a player
    • Player is seriously injured
    • Substitution/s occur
  2. Refs can still add overtime minutes if the half is scoreless or tied.
  3. A ref can be subbed at half time (or full time if going into extra time) with mutual consent of both managers.
  4. Penalty Shootouts occur before the extra time. Results are only used if a tie remains after extra time ends.
  5. If a goalkeeper is sent off resulting in a penalty, then a sub keeper can not come until after the penalty has been taken.
  6. Introduction of a “White Card” which leads to a temporary removal of the offending player from the game between 5 to 10 minutes depending on the Ref’s discretion.
  7. Modified Free Substitution System

• A team can only substitute a player/players when their is a stoppage in play where they maintain possession (Throw ins, Corner Kicks, Penalty Kicks, Indirect or Direct Free Kicks, Goal Kicks)
    • Substitutions cannot occur at Halftime Kickoff or for a Drop Ball.
    • A player who is subbed off during a half cannot be subbed back on until the next half (this counts for extra time halves)
    • Player’s who receive a White Card can be subbed off but can not be subbed back on.
  8. Attacking player to be ruled onside if any part of his body is level with the second-to-last defender.
  9. Bench size increased to 11.
  10. Games cannot end in a scoreless draw. If after 90 minutes the game is scoreless it goes into Extra time with a preceding Penalty Shootout if Extra Time leads to no goals.

New point system:

Home Games

Win: 1
Draw: 0
Loss: -1

Away Games

Win: 2
Draw: 1
Loss: 0

*Add a point for all goals scored.

Anyone else have any ideas theyve heard/liked?

1-2. Make sense because sometimes there isn't enough added time.
3. No
4. So a team can win penalties and then lose afterwards? No
5. So a foul by a keeper in the box results in a goal? No
6. This isn't hockey. No
7. 3 subs, keep it simple. No
8-10. I give up

Reactions: FootyLovin
#10 actually isn't terrible. Still wouldn't implement it though, it's not solving a problem. And extra time is havoc on the players legs, we don't need more of it.

The only change I would make is the opposite, to help players legs. In the case of extra time, I would allow one additional sub to be made. It seems to make sense considering you get 3 subs over the first 90 minutes, or one per 30 minutes of game time, and extra time is an additional 30 minutes.

Reactions: Gavin23
4. What's the advantage here? Part of the interest factor of a penalty shootout for me is that the players are totally gassed so actually burying the penalty isn't a foregone conclusion with rare exceptions.

Not sure what the new points system accomplishes. Negative points seems overly punitive, and awarding more points for an away win exacerbates what I see as an overemphasis on the home vs. away dichotomy.

The reason fro Penalties before extra time is that it increases the drive to score in extra time. Many times players just park the bus and wait till the Penalties which is stupid. Penalties are generally agreed to be a bad way to decide the fate of a game as they involve very little of the actual game and are more luck than anything. Having them before the extra time and the results only used if a tie remains diminishes their relevance and shifts it more to actually scoring in game goals.

Also most of these suggestions I found from foreigners not Americans.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
I really do not like the points structure, at all. Three for a win and one for a draw is fine with me. Both teams play for the same amount of points each game and everyone plays the same amount of home/away games.
Most of these new rules are just an attempt to be cute, but dont solve a problem or improve the experience or fairness of the game at all.

Reactions: FootyLovin
I don't really like any of these, but I am always open to hearing new ideas.

I would suggest three changes to the game.

1. Fix the tiebreaker. Penalties are an abomination. I suggest that each team gets 2 new subs after full time. If the score remains tied after 30 minutes of extra time, you go to a Golden Goal scenario with 10 minute periods. AND - you take 2 players off for each team. So, you're playing 9 on 9, which opens up free space and - hopefully - avoids waiting too long for a goal. You could even take off an extra player after the first 20 minutes of that extra time (although I don't think you need to go down below 8x8).

2. DOGSO and PKs. The punishment for DOGSO in the box is too harsh. Let the team that was fouled choose between a red card and a penalty kick.

3. PKs Generally. Penalty Kicks are an appropriate punishment for many fouls in the box, but there are others where the foul is light or occurs in a spot or situation where a shot just wasn't feasible. In those situations, the ref either points to the spot or (more often) lets the foul go. Why not allow the ref to award an indirect free kick in the box for these types of fouls.

The white card rule is something I took straight from FIFA. Platini was pushing for it alongside a yellow card bin.

The offside rule is not that radical. All it does is better explain the current law. As it stands now the linesmen have a lot of discretion when it comes to offsides. All this new offsides law does is specify the player is still onside if any part of his body (arm, leg, shoulder) is level. So it liberalizes it slightly without changing the game in any radical way.

The game clock stopping for those 4 reasons wouldnt change much in terms of the feel of the game but will definitely do wonders to stop time wasting as it wouldnt be possible.

Having the Penalty shootout occur before extra time is also a very minor change that's only purpose is to diminish the role of Penalties in deciding a game's fate and ensure the teams dont park the bus in extra time.

These changes arent particularly radical or gamechanging. I picked some of the most low key ones. Only the changes to substitution are a big game changer.

Having the Penalty shootout occur before extra time is also a very minor change that's only purpose is to diminish the role of Penalties in deciding a game's fate and ensure the teams dont park the bus in extra time.
Why do you think the team that won the PK won't park the bus, especially if it manages to get through the first 15 minutes even. And forget it if the team with the PK advantage scores first. They'll probably just play all 11 men within 20 yeards of the net.

Reactions: Keith Putnam
Why do you think the team that won the PK won't park the bus, especially if it manages to get through the first 15 minutes even. And forget it if the team with the PK advantage scores first. They'll probably just play all 11 men within 20 yeards of the net.

Interesting. Hadnt thought of that. What do you think of the other suggestions?

The only rule I would add to the game is this simple one:

If you are down for a prolonged period of time (ie: it requires stoppage and treatment) then you can not return for at least 3 minutes.

Tired of seeing keepers and players get concussions only to return. It also solves the issue of people milking injuries and time wasting.

Interesting. Hadnt thought of that. What do you think of the other suggestions?
Collectively I don't like the list because I certainly wouldn't want the game to change very much. But going individually:

1-2. Clock management. I don't think this needs changing but wouldn't mind it and see the benefits you noted.
3. Ref subbing. How many games will have someone on standby?
4. Shootout. As discussed.
5. PK to open net when keeper shown off. I don't see a rationale for making the penalty for a keeper-caused PK to be worse than one caused by a defender.
6. Would like to see a trial season in non-top level leagues in multiple countries. It could be good, but needs testing.
7. Modified substitution rules. Hmm. Maybe the same as 6? Give it a trial run? But not even sure it's needed. Also, in addition to allowing subs to return with limitations, does this remove the limit of 3 substitutions? Is it unlimited?
8. Offside clarification. Probably fine.
9. Bench increase. Probably necessary with #7. Combined they could have the unintended effect of giving an even greater advantage to big teams.
10. I know nobody likes scoreless draws, but I really don't want games go into extra time unless it is an elimination. The fact that every game is over in 2hours or less is too important to mess with.

Point changes:
A. How wide do you want the table to be?

B. Also, for all the complexity, this system generates the same result for the same record no matter what the home away split is. In other words, if, in a 40-game season you go 20-10-10, you'll get 30 points, no matter how you spread the wins losses and ties among home or away. Try it.
  • 20 home wins (20) + 10 away losses (0) + 10 away ties (10) = 30 points.
  • 10 home wins (10) + 10 home ties (0) + 10 away wins (20) + 10 away losses (0) = 30 points
  • 10 home losses (-10) + 10 home ties (0) + 20 away wins (40) = 30 points
  • 13 home wins (13) + 3 home losses (-3) + 4 home ties (0) + 7 away wins (14) + 7 away losses (0) + 6 away draws (6) = 30 points.
So I see no point to this.

Collectively I don't like the list because I certainly wouldn't want the game to change very much. But going individually:

1-2. Clock management. I don't think this needs changing but wouldn't mind it and see the benefits you noted.
3. Ref subbing. How many games will have someone on standby?
4. Shootout. As discussed.
5. PK to open net when keeper shown off. I don't see a rationale for making the penalty for a keeper-caused PK to be worse than one caused by a defender.
6. Would like to see a trial season in non-top level leagues in multiple countries. It could be good, but needs testing.
7. Modified substitution rules. Hmm. Maybe the same as 6? Give it a trial run? But not even sure it's needed. Also, in addition to allowing subs to return with limitations, does this remove the limit of 3 substitutions? Is it unlimited?
8. Offside clarification. Probably fine.
9. Bench increase. Probably necessary with #7. Combined they could have the unintended effect of giving an even greater advantage to big teams.
10. I know nobody likes scoreless draws, but I really don't want games go into extra time unless it is an elimination. The fact that every game is over in 2hours or less is too important to mess with.

Point changes:
A. How wide do you want the table to be?

B. Also, for all the complexity, this system generates the same result for the same record no matter what the home away split is. In other words, if, in a 40-game season you go 20-10-10, you'll get 30 points, no matter how you spread the wins losses and ties among home or away. Try it.
  • 20 home wins (20) + 10 away losses (0) + 10 away ties (10) = 30 points.
  • 10 home wins (10) + 10 home ties (0) + 10 away wins (20) + 10 away losses (0) = 30 points
  • 10 home losses (-10) + 10 home ties (0) + 20 away wins (40) = 30 points
  • 13 home wins (13) + 3 home losses (-3) + 4 home ties (0) + 7 away wins (14) + 7 away losses (0) + 6 away draws (6) = 30 points.
So I see no point to this.

7- Unlimited

As to the points does that include the additional point for all goals scored (regardless if the team won, drew, or lost) ?

Football is my favorite sport. With that said there are many changes I personally would love to see made to the game. Ive assembled a list based on various suggestions I liked from the web. (yes im bored)
  1. The game clock stops when a:
    • Goal is scored
    • Ref cards a player
    • Player is seriously injured
    • Substitution/s occur
  2. Refs can still add overtime minutes if the half is scoreless or tied.
  3. A ref can be subbed at half time (or full time if going into extra time) with mutual consent of both managers.
  4. Penalty Shootouts occur before the extra time. Results are only used if a tie remains after extra time ends.
  5. If a goalkeeper is sent off resulting in a penalty, then a sub keeper can not come until after the penalty has been taken.
  6. Introduction of a “White Card” which leads to a temporary removal of the offending player from the game between 5 to 10 minutes depending on the Ref’s discretion.
  7. Modified Free Substitution System
    • A team can only substitute a player/players when their is a stoppage in play where they maintain possession (Throw ins, Corner Kicks, Penalty Kicks, Indirect or Direct Free Kicks, Goal Kicks)
    • Substitutions cannot occur at Halftime Kickoff or for a Drop Ball.
    • A player who is subbed off during a half cannot be subbed back on until the next half (this counts for extra time halves)
    • Player’s who receive a White Card can be subbed off but can not be subbed back on.
  8. Attacking player to be ruled onside if any part of his body is level with the second-to-last defender.
  9. Bench size increased to 11.
  10. Games cannot end in a scoreless draw. If after 90 minutes the game is scoreless it goes into Extra time with a preceding Penalty Shootout if Extra Time leads to no goals.

New point system:

Home Games

Win: 1
Draw: 0
Loss: -1

Away Games

Win: 2
Draw: 1
Loss: 0

*Add a point for all goals scored.

Anyone else have any ideas theyve heard/liked?
Haha speaking as a Brit just no no no please dont try to complicate /americanize the beautiful game ,save that sort of stuff for your rounders or rugby with crash hats !!

Reactions: gbservis