Columbus 2nd Leg ECS - Postmatch

Some of this forum is pretty funny. This series was lost in the first leg, not with Pirlo coming on the 90th minute.
Yeah all the PV criticism about the subs when my issue with him starts and finishes with leg 1. Down a goal and a man and you still chase the away goal. Fine, but when you somehow rescue the disaster with 3-1, how do you not take that chance to shut everything down? The players shared some blame too, of course.

PV has shown he can learn, and as much as we are freaking out about Pirlo's all season long floating passes to no one, I give him a lot of props for keeping Pirlo on the bench for as much as he did with that salary and that pedigree.

At times we had Wallace crossing in to Harrison, Maxi and Villa - can Maxi get on Villa's shoulders or should we try to find some height in attack?

I don't know what Maxi is worth in salary, but I'd like to see how many miles he ran over the 2 legs - the guy worked his butt off as much or more as anyone.

Did Jack hit some kind of wall? He sure struggled in the final 3rd of the season.

I didn't think it was one of Yangel's best games - is he gone next season? He is going to be very tough to replace.

I don't get how Stott didn't even warn Steffen for time wasting - I thought he and the linesperson were really poor.

Okoli is still looking for the ball behind him.

Yeah all the PV criticism about the subs when my issue with him starts and finishes with leg 1. Down a goal and a man and you still chase the away goal. Fine, but when you somehow rescue the disaster with 3-1, how do you not take that chance to shut everything down? The players shared some blame too, of course.

This... away goal is just a tie breaker. The focus should have been on stopping the bleeding. not giving up multiple goals just to try and score 1

Last night's Pirlo performance was a microcosm of his time here. He came on the field with great fan fare. He had a couple of really solid touches. People were excited to see him trotting in the middle of the field, hoping to see a magical flick with his right foot.

Then he refuses to go up for a header in the midfield and sails 4 balls into the stands.

I feel like this is just hindsight bias. I thought we looked more likely to score at 3-1. We bunkered against Toronto and conceded anyway.

Seriously -- this team sucks at bunkering. How often did we give up the late goal after Vieira put a 5th defender on? I do not blame PV for the team continuing to attack -- the best defense is offense.

I feel like this is just hindsight bias. I thought we looked more likely to score at 3-1. We bunkered against Toronto and conceded anyway.
I don't think you can compare this year's team with last. Our defense, including midfielders, was so much better this season.

Reactions: Kjbert
i think there's a middle ground between bunkering and trying to go balls out though

If you're not bunkering and you're in minute 9o of a 180-minute match, be decisive. Go get another goal. I have no problem with the mindset, I do have a problem with the execution on the Afful goal, though -- the defense there was keystone cops, worst on-field moment of the season.

I don't think you can compare this year's team with last. Our defense, including midfielders, was so much better this season.
That's fair. I feel like we tried bunkering early this season and conceded late too, though.

What it comes down to for me is that away goals are conditionally worth more than home goals. Under no conditions are they worth less. And we seemed more likely to score IMO. Sometimes you can toss a coin and get a few heads in a row. It doesn't mean the coin has been tampered with.

See a lot of People coming to defend Pirlo for the Swan Song he got last night, as a true footballer he should have told PV to fuck off. He has to know it wasn't going to look good and he didn't have his legs under him at all. No one is blaming him for the loss bc no one on these forums in my mind is that dumb. It the perception, its the lack of production, its the wrong sub for the moment at the wrong time. We will all play armchair manager for the next few months until we miss a signing and then we start the cycle again.

I posted the following from the prematch thread. Let's reflect...

Here's what it's going to take to win this match 3-0 or by +4 and advance in the series...

- David Villa needs to have the game of his NYCFC career. Better than the 3-2 RB win. He didn't, but he still converted the penalty when he needed to.
- Sean Johnson and the defense need to keep a clean sheet. No mistakes. Anywhere. 1 mistake but not goal threatening. 1 huge save.
- I think Ben Sweat starts at CB alongside Brillant. He needs to have the game of his life at this position. He did.
- Maxi Moralez needs to be selfish and shoot the ball when he has an opportunity. Not everything needs to be scored by Villa. Moralez needed to play his shot one time. He hit the post.
- Jack Harrison needs to get his touches right. He got excellent first touches on the right wing. Just took a bad shot instead of laying off to Villa.
- Struna needs to start and make good crosses into the box. A great cross/shot leading to a Columbus own goal.
- Herrera and Ring need to be smart defensively but know when to push forward. They played it well.
- Vieira needs to the lineup right and more importantly put on guys earlier. If Lewis isn't starting for whatever reason, get him on at halftime, or the latest the 55'. Wallace looked gassed. At the later stages of the game, we don't need the defensive since Columbus was bunkering with a 5 man backline. Lewis should have come on earlier.
- Take our chances. Convert our chances. Maxi hit the post. Jack was saved. Wallace hit the post.
- We have to quick, sharp, and assertive. For the most part we did.

- Columbus will probably need to pickup a red card too before the 70' for us to get three goals or +4 advantage in this leg. No red card, but how did Steffen not get a yellow card for time wasting.

Adding on something im sure everyone already knows, but we have some serious problems scoring goals. We won this game 2-0 and yet didnt score a natural goal. The goals had to come from a penalty and an own goal. We dominated play basically the entire game but couldn't put not even one in the back of the net. We are in desperate need of forwards not named Villa who are able to score.

Adding on something im sure everyone already knows, but we have some serious problems scoring goals. We won this game 2-0 and yet didnt score a natural goal. The goals had to come from a penalty and an own goal. We dominated play basically the entire game but couldn't put not even one in the back of the net. We are in desperate need of forwards not named Villa who are able to score.

Or a Valeri/Lampard-esque CAM who can score.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
i think there's a middle ground between bunkering and trying to go balls out though

Yep - take smart risk and once you get the away goal, I think you start time wasting and trying to kill the game late on. Look at what Columbus did last night. We kept chasing a goal even though our legs were gone.

Reactions: Kangaroo Jack