COVID-19 - Leagues Suspended

TV contracts are so lucrative (and maintaining the brand of a pro franchise) make it worthwhile to play without fans in seats.

TV contracts are so lucrative (and maintaining the brand of a pro franchise) make it worthwhile to play without fans in seats.

Apparently this is less true in MLS according to some of the reporting last month before the league paused. It's true for the other major sports in America, but our TV deal is not as big as the other leagues -- in MLS, revenue from the gates are more important.

Apparently this is less true in MLS according to some of the reporting last month before the league paused. It's true for the other major sports in America, but our TV deal is not as big as the other leagues -- in MLS, revenue from the gates are more important.
True but given the cost of not playing with regard to losing mindshare, I wonder if they play anyway in order to stay relevant ?

True but given the cost of not playing with regard to losing mindshare, I wonder if they play anyway in order to stay relevant ?
I also wonder how our current tv deal is structured. We are expecting a major increase with our next contract, possibly $200m more than the current deal. If we don't play this season do we owe the networks another year at the current price, or is the season just forgiven?

If we still have to make up the year, that gives the league a $200m incentive to throw something together this year.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Grooming questions necessitated by the virus:

I bought a set of electric hair clippers. Cut my own hair yesterday and it went surprisingly well. I did it all myself, except my wife touched up the back a little after I was done. Didn't use scissors at all, though that probably wouldn't work for longer hair. If you've been afraid to try it I recommend it. My question is for anyone who is more familiar with this stuff than I am, whether you cut your own hair or use something similar to trim your beard. Te unit I bought came with some standard trim combs in different lengths, but also came with an adjustable comb. The standard ones look like the ones regular barbers use:
829B5978-0DAD-4F03-BB66-E3BEF433AE3D.jpeg
The adjustable one has a weird almost double comb setup:
DAEBAC9B-32DF-4B44-BCB1-7FF23ADD4F27.jpeg B626934E-E091-4CDA-A310-320C3F8C40A2.jpeg

I cannot figure out how to use this one. I mean, what part goes on my skin, etc. Why is that curved wrapped section even there? The regular combs worked fine, but it would be neat to switch lengths by turning a dial instead of snapping a different comb off and on. Is it maybe just for beards? The instructions are not very helpful and in the only youtube video I could find, the guy used it on his beard, though he didn't say it was specifically for beards. I've been going to barbers for 50+ years and never had anyone use an attachment that looked like that.

In addition, I have a beard now, also for the first time in 50+ years, but that's really a different topic.

And like I said, the self haircut worked fine. I didn't even use two mirrors. Go ahead and try. Who's going to see anyway?

I bought a set of electric hair clippers. Cut my own hair yesterday and it went surprisingly well. I did it all myself, except my wife touched up the back a little after I was done. Didn't use scissors at all, though that probably wouldn't work for longer hair. If you've been afraid to try it I recommend it. My question is for anyone who is more familiar with this stuff than I am, whether you cut your own hair or use something similar to trim your beard. Te unit I bought came with some standard trim combs in different lengths, but also came with an adjustable comb. The standard ones look like the ones regular barbers use:
View attachment 10721
View attachment 10722 View attachment 10725

I cannot figure out how to use this one. I mean, what part goes on my skin, etc. Why is that curved wrapped section even there? The regular combs worked fine, but it would be neat to switch lengths by turning a dial instead of snapping a different comb off and on. Is it maybe just for beards? The instructions are not very helpful and in the only youtube video I could find, the guy used it on his beard, though he didn't say it was specifically for beards. I've been going to barbers for 50+ years and never had anyone use an attachment that looked like that.

In addition, I have a beard now, also for the first time in 50+ years, but that's really a different topic.

And like I said, the self haircut worked fine. I didn't even use two mirrors. Go ahead and try. Who's going to see anyway?
I've also been doing my own hair (with Wife touch ups as well) for about 8 years using a $30 set! I've been suggesting this to people who prefer the simple cut.

I remember having a similar attachment, but don't recall what it was for.

Reactions: Jock and mgarbowski

View attachment 10721

I can't say what it's for, but I am going to presume it is to give the user the option of what side/angle the razor blade goes against the hair. With the usual comb/spacer, the razor has to be used with the blade essentially parallel with the skin (red arrow below). With that funky attachment it seems as though the desired space is kept whether the blade is parallel or perpendicular (blue arrow) with the skin. That's my guess anyway, you beautiful Bond villain ;)
1586731370912.png

• Haha
Reactions: adam and mgarbowski

View attachment 10721

I've been cutting my own hair for years, so just more of the same in quarantine. I rarely use the "hair" trimming attachment and most often use the "beard" attachment to trim the back and sides since it seems to offer more precision.

Investing in a decent pair of sharp scissors specifically for hair, and a set of thinning shears, definitely helps.

And the biggest advice to anyone cutting their hair at home is, if you use the clippers on the sides and scissors on the top, you really gotta spend time trimming and blending that area in between the two to avoid getting a big step on the edge of your hair! (although i've been doing it for years and it still happens to me when I try to do it myself with no help...)

Reactions: mgarbowski
This new Saliva based Rutgers test seems pretty promising based upon their press release. I haven't seen much in mainstream media so maybe it's not quite that big of a deal. Any science people on here got an opinion on this?

This new Saliva based Rutgers test seems pretty promising based upon their press release. I haven't seen much in mainstream media so maybe it's not quite that big of a deal. Any science people on here got an opinion on this?

A buddy of mine actually got his PHD at Rutgers studying infectious diseases. I just reached out to him on it.

ETA his response:

1586814548050.png

Last edited:
Examining the question are three new reports, from the American Enterprise Institute, the Center for American Progress, and Harvard's Safra Center for Ethics.

Life in the US will not fully return to normal until a vaccine is distributed widely, and drastic interventions will be needed until then once restrictions are relaxed, all three conclude.

All three reports call for a period of national lockdown, which could only be lifted after certain conditions are met.

For AEI, restrictions would ease state-by-state after a state recorded 14 days of falling daily new case numbers.

For CAP, the national lockdown would continue for 45 days, while for Harvard, the most draconian, it would last three months.

Once restrictions ease, with schools and some non-essential businesses reopening, all three reports say that massive testing would be needed, ranging from 750,000 tests per week for the AEI report, to an astonishing 100 million daily tests in a Harvard whitepaper.

The CAP report also proposes a stunning nationwide system of digital surveillance using cell phone location data to track everyone's potential exposure to known cases.

Such a system, deployed with success in authoritarian China, would be certain to raise difficult questions about privacy and individual liberty.

While they differ in their details, the common points in the three reports are striking.

Until there is a vaccine, gatherings of more than 50 people should be banned, and remote working should be continued where possible even after lockdowns end, they all agree.

-and MLS thinks that they will have games with fans this year, good luck.

Ian with some info about how Germany is slowly reopening, it says no sporting events until August 31st.

Considering how Germany has handled COVID way better than the US, no way MLS is returning with fans any time before that.

If MLS wants to have a season this year, it will have to be “MLS Studio” games with no fans and maybe in one central location.

Reactions: Kjbert