Dallas Postmatch

giphy.gif

Also I said at halftime that I would have taken TMac off and switched to a 4 man midfield but as someone said post game (think it was SoupInNYC) this game epitomizes TMac. He was pretty damn bad all match and then pops up in the right spot at the right time and puts it on the line for the team. That's what Vieira has always praised him for -- his reading of the game. All the other NYC players were standing around with thumbs up their asses but he was following the shot. Good on him.
This was the game I saw. When I saw the lineup pre-game I was shocked. I thought if we were going to get a slow soft replacement for Herrera it would be Pirlo. Tommy made no sense and everything up to the moment he scored proved it. And then he does his Tommy thing, just like Paul said. When the ball is near the goal you just fucking run at it. He's done it before, which memory inspired my Kool Aid joke. It was no coincidence that the only Dallas player challenging him was Hedges: the guy with the head bandage who was in the middle of every jump ball and left multiple people on the ground. Tommy isn't like that all over the field but damn, when he smells a goal he runs right at it and through anyone in the way.

Joke? I was there. He was completely ineffective the entire match. A little better in 2nd half but I was talking him up pre match to the Dallas fan I attended with and they crushed us. We we're very lucky to get a point. Camargo showed promise in the 5 min he played

Rings Jon was to slow down Acosta and Urruti. I think he did OK in that regard. Did Urruti do anything but play dead tonight? Outside of another Callens error, did you think Acosta controlled the game? I didn't think so. I thought Ring disrupted him consistently and his opportunities came from wide, not down the middle of the pitch

Reactions: Mike Bornheimer
Well earned point. We're down two starters and they played a strong game.

Villa - 7. Pressed well. Thought he got a bit too fancy trying to distribute. Showed again why he needs to be on free kicks with a chance for goal

Wallace - 7. I thought he played fine offensively but was everywhere defensively. Tucked in more offensively in the second half. Solid game

Harrison - 5. Maybe his worst game if the season. Just didn't get in the flow of the game unfortunately. We rarely found him enough going forward. Had one strong attempt at goal

Maxi - 4. Got some good foul calls. Gave the ball up easy. Looked out of sorts with Villa. One of his worst games with us. They had a very good game plan for him

McNamara - 5. Was absurd in the midfield. But the goal was all hustle. Very American of him. Still rough on the ball. His skills, if you call them that, aren't meant for an MLS 3.0 attack. He's all hustle. That said, he did pick out some beautiful balls in the first half

Ring - 8. Was everywhere tonight. Tactically, he was almost perfect. Positionally, he was brilliant.

White - 5. He played fine. He is what he is. I feel like he will fluctuate between 4-7 all year. Wasn't tested too much as their attack was mostly up the other side and through the middle it seemed

Sweat - 5. Going with a 5 here as well. Was decent defensively. Surprisingly to me, he's been good going forward. Has a decent left foot which has surprised me

Chanot - 7. Our rock defensively. Wasn't great tonight but was very good. I think that he somehing to do with Callens

Callens - 5. I think his athleticism bails him out sometimes. I think he has the physical tools to be a terrific CB but Chanot has to cover for him way too much. Was very good tonight 1 v 1 but he still struggles when under pressure with distribution

Johnson - 8. My MOTM. We could have lost 3-1. Would like to know if the choice to clear Long a lot to start the game was by design or if his own doing

Lopez - N/A. Nothing to say. I don't think he performed the role well that he was sent on to do but I won't get into that here

Camargo - N/A. Did nothing but have one great run when he came on. I think Maxi played him a poor ball and played it too early

Vieira - I won't give him a rating because I don't know what the game plan was. I understand you are concerned about getting the point but I was surprised he only used 2 subs and that he waited that long on the second sub. We play again in a few days. I think the guys who are going direct all start. I'm surprised Maxi or Wallace wasn't taken off
Wallace to me struggled today

ANYBODY Who Litterly Throws Himself into his work and becomes the Goal Deserves Respect , Love .and ,Support!! Everything else should be overlooked ! And I'm sorry ya'll that Maxi has skills but looks like a Rolloff on the pitch ! So if they do play my Andrea for RSL my only hope is that old man Reminds Everone who's Boss and becomes the come back kidd !!

Reactions: mgarbowski
Just change my pregame post to past tense.

I really, really like Tommy. But he's just not a good player. He should be playing FIFA and eating cheetos with me.
I texted my buddy right when he scored "TMac has been complete shit all game but goddamnit I love him"

I love the guy, but watching the him struggle how to control the ball at his feet and get run over is just so damn frustrating.

I really do think Pirlo was the answer here. We struggled to maintain quality possession and I think he could have done that by passing back and forth with maxi and his little pirouettes.

TMac would be fine against a less athletic and dynamic team in RSL IMO.

Joke? I was there. He was completely ineffective the entire match. A little better in 2nd half but I was talking him up pre match to the Dallas fan I attended with and they crushed us. We we're very lucky to get a point. Camargo showed promise in the 5 min he played
Not sure what you were watching, but Ring was constantly in on tackles. He was a beast on D

How about that head-to-head collision? Brings up a valid point of concussion evaluations (or lack thereof) in soccer.
That one, and the play that Yamil Asad was in earlier against Portland. Looked like he may have even been briefly unconscious and he came back out shortly.

Weird to suggest someone should adopt something from the NFL, but they should bring in independent evaluators to assess concussions and not leave it up to the coaches/players.

In my "crazy" rule change in regards to this, I would allow teams one additional substitution in a game, when one of their players is ruled to have a concussion by an independent evaluator.

How about that head-to-head collision? Brings up a valid point of concussion evaluations (or lack thereof) in soccer.
If the whistle has to stop play - which also stopped our counter attack - then the players that leave the field should have to stay off a mandatory amount to be evaluated. Acosta never should have been allowed back on immediately after leaving the field. And their version of lurch shouldn't have been allowed back with either the gushing blood that wasn't properly stitched, nor the fact that he didn't go through real protocols. I'd bet money that he's suffering today from (at best) a mild concussion.

After watching Villa's free kick, I couldn't help thinking about all of the table points we likely punted on dead balls since Pirlo's arrival.