David Villa....."d"

Tim Sanchez

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Apr 20, 2015
NYC
Hmm, Shep Messing just graded David Villa with a D for the season
Thoughts?....

I have no idea who Shep Messing is or what his reasoning is since you didn't provide any link, but here are my thoughts:

Villa has played 4.5 games for us and has 2 goals and should really have 2 assists as well, but they called his ball to Mix in the first game a deflection. That is nearly 1 goal or assist per game. Even playing 5 of 8 games, I think that is better than a D.

I'm going to go ahead and make a guess for Villa's season: MVP worthy stats per 90 minutes, but disappointingly few games. Say 12 goals and 7 assists in 20 games.

Then again, in the course of googling and trying to figure out what the heck you were talking about I found this, which turns out to be an alarmingly apt description of my attitude and soccer knowledge, so . . . yeah.

I'm not going to tighten up the tin foil hat and say the guy has an agenda, but Messing does have ties to the Red Bulls and Cosmos. Perhaps instead of worrying about the performance of a guy whose been injured all season long, he should focus his attention as to why that team with all the "history", "glory" and "worldwide recognition" had another LOL crowd in attendance tonight.

Reactions: TommyM
I have no idea who Shep Messing is or what his reasoning is since you didn't provide any link, but here are my thoughts:

Villa has played 4.5 games for us and has 2 goals and should really have 2 assists as well, but they called his ball to Mix in the first game a deflection. That is nearly 1 goal or assist per game. Even playing 5 of 8 games, I think that is better than a D.

I'm going to go ahead and make a guess for Villa's season: MVP worthy stats per 90 minutes, but disappointingly few games. Say 12 goals and 7 assists in 20 games.

Then again, in the course of googling and trying to figure out what the heck you were talking about I found this, which turns out to be an alarmingly apt description of my attitude and soccer knowledge, so . . . yeah.

Shep Messing is like NY soccer royalty...born in the bx, played for the cosmos and indoor soccer as a goalie, posed nude, and has been a red bulls broadcaster since their metro star days.

So was just a public stab? Or MLS really pushing the rivelry issue

I have honestly been disappointed in him so far, but I'm sure he will improve as the season progresses.
Agreed. He had one good game. Otherwise, he's been prone to disappearing. No one needs to tell me why. I know why he disappears. But I'm still not sure he should allow it to happen.

If there was ever a giy with an axe to grind on teams other then his beloved cosmos and redbulls it is shep. No one really takes him seriously or really should care. Villa has been pretty much all we expected when healthy.

Reactions: Gene
Shep Messing is like NY soccer royalty...born in the bx, played for the cosmos and indoor soccer as a goalie, posed nude, and has been a red bulls broadcaster since their metro star days.

So was just a public stab? Or MLS really pushing the rivelry issue

Posed nude for what playgirl or beastialty monthly

Shep is a douche. But that alone doesn't make him wrong. It could well be a case where the wrong intentions still give you the correct result.

I think he definitely serves his own best interests, but I don't get the sense that he's extremely anti-NYC. I think he would love for all 3 clubs to be full of world class talent. It would be a massive platform for him.

Again, he's a douche. But he's not entirely wrong here.

Reactions: Statler
I have to give Villa an incomplete since he has missed a good spell of time, personally I say wait until the half way point in the season before giving out player grades.

Reactions: Kjbert
He's right. We needed him to be an A. He hasnt. Of the two, Kaka has bee. The healthy one.

Any issue with Villa is limited to a hamstring injury. He has been terrific when he's on the field, last night included.

Not only can he finish, he can instigate the attack. His field vision - his ability to see open men that others don't - is so much better than the rest of the team.

That was clear last night. There wasn't another guy on the pitch not named Dempsey that was even close to what he was creating on the pitch.

Reactions: The Toe
Any issue with Villa is limited to a hamstring injury. He has been terrific when he's on the field, last night included.

Not only can he finish, he can instigate the attack. His field vision - his ability to see open men that others don't - is so much better than the rest of the team.

That was clear last night. There wasn't another guy on the pitch not named Dempsey that was even close to what he was creating on the pitch.
I don't think he was fantastic. I also don't think Dempsey was that great either.

Reactions: Kjbert
Villa's volley last night was worth the price of admission. Fuck Frei for stopping that, it could have been goal of the year.

Reactions: Lasker
Villa's volley last night was worth the price of admission. Fuck Frei for stopping that, it could have been goal of the year.

That's his second nice volley, too, had a great on vs New England that shuttleworth stopped. His free kicks haven't been great on the whole but he has had at least two that forced good saves. I'm confident the goals will come.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene

Watching Villa with the ball compared to 99% of the rest of MLS is a treat, no one else looks like him on the field in this league. You can easily tell hes a step above, even in his "old" age. We just need him on the field more so his creation skills aren't wasted by not having team cohesiveness - you can sense his frustration.