• Backline/SJ

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Harrison

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ring

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Haven't read anyone else's comments yet, and I wanted to post so much at half time. Sadly, security and I broke my phone.

Anyway, this was the best game we've ever played. By far. Spectacular football. No one sucked. Even Norris gets a 6.

Rodney Wallace was incredible. Man of the match for me, along with Chanot. May not have come across on tv, but he didn't put a foot wrong. And He was aggressive.

Sean JOHNSON. Fucking beautiful keeper. At least 2 goals we would have given up with Saunders on chances that never materialized due to his spectacular starting position.

Callens also huge. Just outshined today.

Matarrita defended, too. An played a true professional game.

Ring is a bar fight with a number on its back.

Villa was villa. What we expect and get regularly.

Maxi was a beauty. An 8 of 10 and MOTM most days. But Wallace and Chanot were so good today. Wallace has world class movement. He was making 2-3 runs while the ball was still in our half. And his defending and dropping in is fucking killer.

My quibble would be Tommy for Rodney, but even that worked fine today.

All in all, it was easily the best game we've ever played. Truly top-notch, beautiful football. We controlled the ball at will, and we broke with pace when the opportunities were there.
My only quibble with what you wrote was that you were being too kind in saying Tommy for Wallace worked out. Tommy was useless out there - too slow closing the defender down while the other forwards pressed, too slow on defense, and he was barely showing for the ball while being the freshest player. He's a nice guy, and he has great technical skills in the final third, but he's nearly useless in open play. He wore the armband, but I chalk that up to being the only guy on the field that has been with the club three years; Mata, White, and Harrison were the next most "senior" guys with this being the start of their second year, so I chalk it up to Captain by default.

And one more thing I was surprised and pleased by: we created chances with Pirlo on the field that didn't come from Pirlo.

We were a functional footballing unit today. I can't complain about anything on the whole, other than to nitpick some silly shit.

Jack Harrison had one of his best games ever, and I didn't mention him in my first post. That's how good we were as a team. Jack's positioning, defending and decision making is already being improved by competing with Maxi and Rodney.

It will be hard for a guy like Shelton to find minutes on this squad when we are playing like this. mgarbowski the Lord does answer prayer.
I think Shelton and TMac are going to be trade bait. Sooner rather than later.

Love Ian... I may have some performance enhancing beers in my system but it seemed like he was the box to box midfield presence we have been missing. I thought he played well and was dangerous moving forward. He had some nice combo's with Jack.
Are we referring to the same player? I was referencing Pirlo. Thus my comment on Herrera after that who came on for him.

TMac actually contributed something today in midfield.

I think maybe it's Pirlo and TMac together that won't work. They're both so slow.

I do want to deal Khiry. Ideally, we'd find a good game for him while we're well up one game. Then sell absurdly high.

I think we can probably get some quality return for both and it'll be positive for both the club and players. Although I think Tommy has use as a bench player. Shelton I think it's well known that I don't think he has the mental makeup of a professional. Someone could be dumb and think his athletic talent is worth a trade... hint hint call Orlando and dumb fucker Kreis.

My only quibble with what you wrote was that you were being too kind in saying Tommy for Wallace worked out. Tommy was useless out there - too slow closing the defender down while the other forwards pressed, too slow on defense, and he was barely showing for the ball while being the freshest player. He's a nice guy, and he has great technical skills in the final third, but he's nearly useless in open play. He wore the armband, but I chalk that up to being the only guy on the field that has been with the club three years; Mata, White, and Harrison were the next most "senior" guys with this being the start of their second year, so I chalk it up to Captain by default.
Maybe I was intoxicated by the cold and goals. I pissed off some old fake-titted bottle blonde when I loudly bemoaned the Tommy sub because I didn't understand why we'd weaken the defense.

But I really thought he did fine this time. But he is shit in defense.

Eta: I do think it's fair to say I rate Tommy far lower than most here. He's not a good player in most situations, for sure.

TMac actually contributed something today in midfield.

I think maybe it's Pirlo and TMac together that won't work. They're both so slow.

I do want to deal Khiry. Ideally, we'd find a good game for him while we're well up one game. Then sell absurdly high.

I'm hoping we get a Mullins deal for Khiry, I'll be happy if we get $100k GAM for him.

Depending on how much TMac is making he may or may not be trade bait. For us he's a nice piece to have on the bench, for a lot of other MLS teams he's a starter. I think that just goes to show how much we've improved talent wise. But if TMac is struggling for minutes, like we all expect he will, we might want to deal while his value is up.

The cold was brutal today but those 4 goals sure made it seem warmer for a bit.

Also the Chicken Bucket chant is stronger than ever. It was an emphatic home opener to show how dangerous our team can be. Watch out MLS.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan you screwed Chanot. He should be an option. As I said, he and Wallace were co-MOTM. SJ not far off. If he weren't so damn cool about everything, he'd get far more credit. Srting together a highlight reel of Saunders entire time, and it wasn't close to what The Milk Man gave us today.

Positioning, distribution and shot stopping. Almost like he used to be the biggest, hottest young name in US goalkeeping. He looks back on track. Great move for us and him to have have him onboard.

Last edited:
I'm hoping we get a Mullins deal for Khiry, I'll be happy if we get $100k GAM for him.

Depending on how much TMac is making he may or may not be trade bait. For us he's a nice piece to have on the bench, for a lot of other MLS teams he's a starter. I think that just goes to show how much we've improved talent wise. But if TMac is struggling for minutes, like we all expect he will, we might want to deal while his value is up.
I could see Minnesota making a play for TMac and overpaying.

That was an incredible game - great performance and the supporters section was yelling and singing the whole game.

Ring and Maxi put in a hell of a shift and have transformed our midfield, but big credit to the defence who looked solid and Johnson was a breath of fresh air in goal.

When Villa took the touch towards the byline at his second goal, i assumed his only option was to cut it back and was looking to the 6 yard box to see who was available, then the next thing I knew the ball hit the side of the net, just brilliant skill. MVP! MVP!

Let's just have the same level of performance every week and it'll be a great season!

NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan you screwed Chanot. He should be an option. As I said, he and Wallace were co-MOTM. SJ nor far off. If he weren't so damn cool about everything, he'd get far more credit. Sting together a highlight reel of Saunders entire time, and it wasn't close to what The Milk Man gave us today.

Positioning, distribution and shot stopping. Almost like he used to be the biggest, hottest young name in US goalkeeping. He looks back on track. Great move for us and him to have have him onboard.

Exactly right. It will be hard for most to actually see how much better SJ is than Saunders. If you watch our matches, once SJ comes into view of the camera, he is already in the optimal position and ready to adjust as needed. Saunders was always frantically scrambling to catch up to where he should have been 2-3 seconds ago, and when it mattered, was often out of position. SJ simply takes so many shots away from forwards, forcing them to either pass it off, track back, or take a shot SJ is positioned to save. This could have saved us 10 or more goals against last season.

We probably won't see YouTube video compilations of keeper positioning, but this skill is equally important as shot stopping ability.

Last edited:
Exactly right. It will be hard for most to actually see how much better SJ is than Saunders. If you watch our matches, once SJ comes into view of the camera, he is already in the optimal position and ready to adjust as needed. Saunders was always frantically scrambling to catch up to where he should have been 2-3 seconds ago, and when it mattered, was often out of position. SJ simply takes so many shots away from forwards, forcing them to either pass it off, track back, or take a shot SJ is positioned to save.

We probably won't see YouTube video compilations of keeper positioning, but this skill is equally important as shot stopping ability.
I was one that was skeptical of the SJ move, but he's been great and I haven't once found myself squeezing my ass in fear when we turn the ball over to a counter. Maybe part of that is our defense + Ring are highly competent at sniffing out attacks, but even when they aren't and SJ is called upon I'm not nervy.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Haven't read the comments on this thread yet but let me just say the following.

First and foremost, it feels great to have a real GK. I have never once felt that DC was close to getting a goal because of the superb GK of Sean Johnson. For those that think he may have not done much, your not paying attention. The kid has great positioning and reads the game exceptionally well. Not to mention his great reflexes. His distribution has been pretty good which I know most of you were questioning when we first got him.

Chanot and Callens are becoming a GREAT CB tandem. Callens has the great speed to make up for any great player by the offense or out of positioning.

Alexander Ring has been tremendous the first two games. I saw him in person in Orlando last week and was very impressed with his motor and ability to link passes NORTH/SOUTH. We need more NORTH/SOUTH Passing by our mids, in particular Pirlo, especially at YS.

David Villa redeemed himself from his poor game in Orlando. That first goal was a thing of beauty and what a touch to get the corner of the net.

Maxi was much better today after a sub par game in Orlando, great to see.

Thank god RJ Allen was benched. He is not a starting caliber MLS RB, White is not much better but at least White is more athletic and stronger.

Jack Harrison is so freaking good. Yes he has many things to learn still but the kid is dangerous every time he gets the ball.

Overall, great great win. Lets keep it going. MTL is a much better team then DC so next game should be fun.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Rodney Wallace. WOW. The kid is the goods. He was a key piece to Portland's championship in 2015 and never realized how good he was. After watching him live last week and in this week, very impressed.

- I think it was too cold today to really watch the game how I like to watch it.
- I got in the ear of the referees, especially when Maxi was tackled after the ball went over the sideline.
- Alex Kraemer looks exactly like her Instagram photos. She is her own filter. My mother talked to her before the game. She applied for the job and really does love the game.
- There's A LOT more Etihad all over the stadium. Outside where the players come in, it's Etihad Boarding Lane. The field is called Etihad Pitch. On the website, inside the stadium. Etihad. Etihad. Etihad. (And there wasn't an Israeli flag during the pregame introductions...)
- They had blankets from Etihad Airways on the pitchside seats for fans to take home.
- I'm riding the Ring train box to box all season long. Got his jersey customized today.
- Mataritta had some skill moves today. It's going to be sad to see him go when he does go. Got his jersey customized today.
- There are a lot of nice scarves this season and I'm fortunate I can afford my addiction.
- Villa was all smiles when we was taken off. It's a shame though since he was on a hat trick. He deserves to get one this season for us.
- As many have said Sean Johnson will vastly help with my mental and physical health this season. He look confident out there, knew what he was going everything. No missteps, no poorly timed decisions.
- It's early but I'm happy with this roster and our play. I still think there are a few things we can do better, maybe Herrera at RB, or Brillant to CB and move Chanot over slightly.

NYCFC 2017: We build from the back. We defend from the front.

- I think it was too cold today to really watch the game how I like to watch it.
- I got in the ear of the referees, especially when Maxi was tackled after the ball went over the sideline.
- Alex Kraemer looks exactly like her Instagram photos. She is her own filter. My mother talked to her before the game. She applied for the job and really does love the game.
- There's A LOT more Etihad all over the stadium. Outside where the players come in, it's Etihad Boarding Lane. The field is called Etihad Pitch. On the website, inside the stadium. Etihad. Etihad. Etihad. (And there wasn't an Israeli flag during the pregame introductions...)
- They had blankets from Etihad Airways on the pitchside seats for fans to take home.
- I'm riding the Ring train box to box all season long. Got his jersey customized today.
- Mataritta had some skill moves today. It's going to be sad to see him go when he does go. Got his jersey customized today.
- There are a lot of nice scarves this season and I'm fortunate I can afford my addiction.
- Villa was all smiles when we was taken off. It's a shame though since he was on a hat trick. He deserves to get one this season for us.
- As many have said Sean Johnson will vastly help with my mental and physical health this season. He look confident out there, knew what he was going everything. No missteps, no poorly timed decisions.
- It's early but I'm happy with this roster and our play. I still think there are a few things we can do better, maybe Herrera at RB, or Brillant to CB and move Chanot over slightly.

NYCFC 2017: We build from the back. We defend from the front.
You bought two jerseys today?

How in the hell is Villa way out in front in this? Just when I think I can't think any less of the opinions around here.

Reactions: twsj91