• Backline/SJ

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Harrison

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ring

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I fully expect to hear this week that a couple of players are sick. I cannot imagine running around in those temps/wind with no hat and few of them wore gloves. Hell, Harrison had on a short sleeve jersey?!?!

Harrison reminded me of Tony Sannah walking out onto the snowy field in columbus against Mexico in short sleeves, going on to physically bully the Mexican team's attackers in route to the 2-0 win.

Btw, were there 2-3 supporters going shirtless all game??? Expect them to have 102 fever today.

1. Myth: You’ll get sick if you go out in the cold with wet hair or without a coat

Reality: Being cold (or cold and wet) has nothing to do with contracting the cold or flu virus. The reason we often associate the two is that the flu virus more commonly circulates during the fall and winter than during other times of year, Dr. Jon Abramson told ABC News. So more people are sick relative to warmer months, but the cold weather has nothing to do with it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/24/cold-and-flu-myths_n_5983736.html

MLS Goal of the Week is now up for voting. They went with the Maxi goal for NYCFC.
Anyone else surprised? I thought Villa's second was the goal of the match, and Villa's first was pretty impressive as well.

Reactions: wolfehr
I liked Villa's first best. Might be worthy of a poll.
I am actually partial to the Maxi goal they chose because it embodies the sort of high-octane defence-to-attack work I want to see every match. If we maintain that cutting edge throughout the year we will be very difficult to beat even when our back four have a bad match.

I am probably also bias because when Villa intercepted that backpass I yelled (well, talked loudly given the state of my throat) "give it to Maxi!", as I saw him streaking through. When it actually came off, in my DayQuil stupor, I felt a tiny bit of contribution to the goal, as if Villa heard my suggestion and agreed it was the best course of action. ;)

Regardless of the legitimacy of my intervention, it was a very intelligent run from Maxi, a beautiful threaded pass from Villa, and the first time shot was the perfect finish.

Last edited:
1. Myth: You’ll get sick if you go out in the cold with wet hair or without a coat

Reality: Being cold (or cold and wet) has nothing to do with contracting the cold or flu virus. The reason we often associate the two is that the flu virus more commonly circulates during the fall and winter than during other times of year, Dr. Jon Abramson told ABC News. So more people are sick relative to warmer months, but the cold weather has nothing to do with it.

Yes and no. One doesn't get sick simply by being cold, but being cold runs down the body as it's forced to produce more body heat and that burns more calories leaving a depleted system. The more depleated a body is, the more likely it is for a virus to gain hold. That run-down nature is why so many marathoners get sick in the days after a race.

Look at how many times Ring was involved in breaking up plays. He hustled back numerous times to clean up messes and provide a double/triple team with Chanot & Callens. He's our reindeer enforcer.

Not saying Ring was bad. But watching it the second time at home, Maxi was better

Yes and no. One doesn't get sick simply by being cold, but being cold runs down the body as it's forced to produce more body heat and that burns more calories leaving a depleted system. The more depleated a body is, the more likely it is for a virus to gain hold. That run-down nature is why so many marathoners get sick in the days after a race.
I only drank 3 beers yesterday over the course of 2.5 hours, and I didn't really feel cold during the match due to utilization of appropriate clothing. Nevertheless, I feel like ass today.

I can't do anything. I still haven't made it in to work. Generalized gross feeling should be a real medical thing.

Reactions: Paul and Ulrich
Anyone else surprised?
I am a little surprised, yeah. Maxi's goal was an example of excellent professional attacking on both his part and Villa's, and worthy of praise (and maybe that's why it's nominated... a better worked attack than many you see in MLS), but Villa beating Hamid from an insanely tight angle was a much more spectacular goal which you'd think the voting crowd would respond to more.

And I may be right... Maxi's goal only has 5% of the vote right now.

I only drank 3 beers yesterday over the course of 2.5 hours, and I didn't really feel cold during the match due to utilization of appropriate clothing. Nevertheless, I feel like ass today.

I can't do anything. I still haven't made it in to work. Generalized gross feeling should be a real medical thing.
I bet CP_Scouse can give you some pointers on exercising those gross demons away.

I am a believer in "promaja".

Reactions: Ulrich
There's two sides to our formation and they both work well. Last year our personnel limited us. Pirlo as a holding 6 works when we are building up play with possession, letting the opponents chase and tire. That's when Ring in the 8 works. He starts pressing high creating turnovers. When he does that and our forwards are also pressing, our counter is great. That keeps defenses honest and playing a low line. That's why our possession stats are so good. Our tactic is creating very open passing lanes. It happened in Orlando and yesterday as well. I hope, but think it'll continue.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
There's two sides to our formation and they both work well. Last year our personnel limited us. Pirlo as a holding 6 works when we are building up play with possession, letting the opponents chase and tire. That's when Ring in the 8 works. He starts pressing high creating turnovers. When he does that and our forwards are also pressing, our counter is great. That keeps defenses honest and playing a low line. That's why our possession stats are so good. Our tactic is creating very open passing lanes. It happened in Orlando and yesterday as well. I hope, but think it'll continue.
What was interesting about our pressing (before TMac was in) was that the forwards didn't necessarily win a lot of balls, but with all three pressing evenly, it rushed the defenders pass. If that pass was actually completed, the opposing player usually had to move the ball immediately as our midfielder was on top of him. His pass was either to nobody or our defender/sweeping mid. Then our breakout went full force.

So our press is really different than RB and others that achieve a lot with their forwards & mids very advanced, but if beaten their defenders are on an island. Our press seems to allow ball movement but in a chaotic manner ultimately leading to uncontrollability and surrendering the ball, while leaving the forwards advanced to provide immediate outlets for the quick reversal.

I need context and will hold my judgement of your performance based upon the answers you provide.

How many beers were consumed prior to the game while watching Liverpool? Are they within the 2.5 hr window?
Where these 24oz beers?
Did you wear Mittens or gloves?

Reactions: Ulrich
What was interesting about our pressing (before TMac was in) was that the forwards didn't necessarily win a lot of balls, but with all three pressing evenly, it rushed the defenders pass. If that pass was actually completed, the opposing player usually had to move the ball immediately as our midfielder was on top of him. His pass was either to nobody or our defender/sweeping mid. Then our breakout went full force.

So our press is really different than RB and others that achieve a lot with their forwards & mids very advanced, but if beaten their defenders are on an island. Our press seems to allow ball movement but in a chaotic manner ultimately leading to uncontrollability and surrendering the ball, while leaving the forwards advanced to provide immediate outlets for the quick reversal.

It was very effective. DC didn't have an answer. That first half was dare I say...the most European we've ever looked.

I need context and will hold my judgement of your performance based upon the answers you provide.

How many beers were consumed prior to the game while watching Liverpool? Are they within the 2.5 hr window?
Where these 24oz beers?
Did you wear Mittens or gloves?
Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan to add to the above questions...

Please confirm the specific brand and types of beers consumed for verification of ABV and FG for gastronomical and psychological analysis.

I was thinking of going into a full analysis of the pressing strategy... but I think your more succinct post is much more effective than my ambien prose.

In short, this was not gegenpress, this was structured-press.

Reactions: Ulrich and JayH

Different and I'd bet more sustainable than RB. By staying more disciplined and structured the players didn't seem to be exerting too much energy to maintain it. RB seems to run themselves into the ground to the point that they gave up a lot of goals at the end of games last year. Our press looks like a great system, the true test will be to see what happens when teams learn it and try to adjust to it.