[Debunked] Strange Rumor from Reddit: CFG Open to Buying Cosmos Brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if........

MLS really is contemplating a third team in NYC (ok, two teams in NYC and one in NJ) down the road, BUT they learned their lesson and the team will only come on board with a stadium deal sign/sealed and broken ground??? CFG buys the Bronx & Queens sites, gets all of the balls rolling, and then sells the Cosmos Mac-daddy Package (entry fee that CFG paid, branding, and stadium) for some completely inflated price ($1B?) which is justified because the Club is a legitimate turn-key operation - nothing has to be done except for form a roster and front office..... NYCFC gets one location and the Cosmos the other, and CFG makes a ridiculous return on it's investment/consultation fees to get the shabang built in the city that everybody says cant get a stadium......

Yeah, that's really out in left field with the tin-foil hat, but what if ?.?.?.

Idiotic "rumor". NYCFC rebranding to Cosmos is as likely as Mix scoring a hat trick in the MLS Cup final. The whole point of CFG is to have an international and cohesive brand.

Cosmos buying out and rebranding Red Bull is something that could actually happen in the real world.

Reactions: Fabio and Kjbert
Mix scoring a hat trick in the MLS Cup final

giphy.gif

DAMN RIGHT IT'S HAPPENING!

Last edited:
Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
What if........

MLS really is contemplating a third team in NYC (ok, two teams in NYC and one in NJ) down the road, BUT they learned their lesson and the team will only come on board with a stadium deal sign/sealed and broken ground??? CFG buys the Bronx & Queens sites, gets all of the balls rolling, and then sells the Cosmos Mac-daddy Package (entry fee that CFG paid, branding, and stadium) for some completely inflated price ($1B?) which is justified because the Club is a legitimate turn-key operation - nothing has to be done except for form a roster and front office..... NYCFC gets one location and the Cosmos the other, and CFG makes a ridiculous return on it's investment/consultation fees to get the shabang built in the city that everybody says cant get a stadium......

Is CFG becoming the private equity shop of football clubs? They probably should have done this with AFC Wimbledon. Put in the resources to get the team into the Championship or even the Premier League then sell it for a boatload of cash.

I can't imagine two soccer specific stadiums in New York City limits. Maybe a shared stadium deal, but I don't think the Cosmos have all the hype and revenue stream opportunities that are being floated out here. All of their value is in intellectual property which if brought into MLS or USL evaporates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
this would of been done in the beginning bought up cosmos ( assuming they would sell, since they seem to live and die by the whole "independent club" and not giving the name to MLS). also the NASL is not dying soon maybe in a couple of years but not now. If NASL dies then maybe i can give some thought to this rumor.

plus as mentioned by all, CFG wants "city" in everything. the amount of people not wanting the "city" branding either have not been going to games and many Cosmos fans still hate MLS so no i dont see fans "wanting to merge".

also i seriously doubt Levine gives a fuck about soccer. as long as the field isint fucked up by the games and they are getting some return on this investment he is satisfied.

this would of been done in the beginning bought up cosmos ( assuming they would sell, since they seem to live and die by the whole "independent club" and not giving the name to MLS). also the NASL is not dying soon maybe in a couple of years but not now. If NASL dies then maybe i can give some thought to this rumor.

plus as mentioned by all, CFG wants "city" in everything. the amount of people not wanting the "city" branding either have not been going to games and many Cosmos fans still hate MLS so no i dont see fans "wanting to merge".

also i seriously doubt Levine gives a fuck about soccer. as long as the field isint fucked up by the games and they are getting some return on this investment he is satisfied.

They lost two teams today in addition to Minnesota already leaving. Strikers and OKC are big question marks right now and San Francisco is coming on board. There could potentially be 8 teams in the league next year. I don't see how teams will even be able to afford the added travel...

they could also buy the Cosmos brand to mothball it
Follow me here. Cosmos have merch value globally, but their local fanbase is mostly on Long Island. NYCFC has already sown up NYC and points north. They buy the Cosmos and retire the team while still selling merch globally. Then they announce the Fresh Direct site and suddenly the soccer free zone of Long Island has a new destination.

And AHABS, Cosmos is a property with potential resale value down the line.

They lost two teams today in addition to Minnesota already leaving. Strikers and OKC are big question marks right now and San Francisco is coming on board. There could potentially be 8 teams in the league next year. I don't see how teams will even be able to afford the added travel...
Yep. And to further extrapolate on this point, sure the NASL may be around for another couple of years, but not much longer. And if the Cosmos continue to stay too stubborn, it may end up being too late for them.

I'm not saying there is anything to this rumor, nor am I saying that NYCFC should pursue anything like this, but if there was a time for the Cosmos to sell, now would be that time before their value continues to depreciate.

I don't think this is too outlandish. I like the idea of retiring the brand or shelfing it.

I could absolutely see the team buying the Cosmos and placing them in USL. Wouldn't surprise me actually. It's a strong brand internationally.

Reactions: Goodfella
Follow me here. Cosmos have merch value globally, but their local fanbase is mostly on Long Island. NYCFC has already sown up NYC and points north. They buy the Cosmos and retire the team while still selling merch globally.

I could absolutely see the team buying the Cosmos and placing them in USL. Wouldn't surprise me actually. It's a strong brand internationally.

I'm not sure about this anymore. Serious football fans will know about the Cosmos through Pele but I think this is receding knowledge. I don't know about the States, where I'd expect the Cosmos brand to be stronger, but while most people with a notion of football here know the name I'm genuinely not sure anyone under the age of, say, 25, would anymore. Certainly the badge and the kits are a complete unknown now - pretty much no-one would be able to identify them if given a selection of possibles to choose from.

That would all be fine if they could push merch too, but can they? I see people here walking around in Yankees baseball caps (infrequently, but it does happen) because it's that big of a thing - the people wearing them generally don't even know the Yankees are a baseball team, it's just an associateable brand. Could I picture ever seeing anyone wearing Cosmos clothing off the back of a famous connection 40 years ago now? Not really, that link isn't going to sell any shirts, hats or any other sort of item.

What if........

It's not a crazy idea, but big picture, the real business proposition of NYCFC was becoming THE team of the boroughs. Makes no sense for the club to even agree to a competitor setting shop inside city lines, never mind doing it for them. The long term escalation in the value of the club could dwarf the short-term transactional gains, even if they're hefty.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
Speaking as an NYCFC fan and a fan of the Cosmos, I have great respect for the Cosmos for having refused MLS's terms to join the league (which led to that opportunity going to CFG, and ultimately brought about the creation of NYCFC), and for their having given it a go in the NASL. It was very important to them to control their logos and marks, and to be able to independently sign players.

Nevertheless, it seems likely that that approach has run its course, as the NASL's best cities continue to be picked off by MLS (Montreal, Vancouver, Atlanta, Minnesota), by the USL (Ottawa, Tampa Bay), and perhaps even by a possible Canadian league (Edmonton). The future of that league is shaky at best. If there is something to the rumour of CFG putting up an offer, then perhaps the Cosmos' owners will figure that this is the last chance for them to recoup their losses.

Even though I support an MLS team, I strongly dislike the league's single entity scheme, which is a means of preventing players from establishing their true market value. The traditional independent-club model was worth fighting for; so it would be sad to see the standard-bearers of that approach go by the wayside.

If the end is near for the Cosmos as an independent club, they go out with their heads held high. They fought the good fight, but could not overcome conditions that were beyond their control. The main issue, the lack of a stadium location in New York City, afflicts NYCFC as well; but, of course, we have Yankee Stadium as a more-than-adequate Plan B, while the Cosmos' Plan B of playing at a Long Island college lacrosse field has not worked out for them at all.

Maybe a CFG-owned Cosmos team could more easily find a home somewhere within the City. Perhaps they could play at the stadium of the Yankees' minor-league affilliate on Staten Island. The Cosmos have already played several matches at the Brooklyn Cyclones' stadium; but for a CFG-owned Cosmos to play there would require some Yankee-Met detente, which could be tricky.

The Staten Island park has a natural grass surface, and so could conceivably be converted to a soccer pitch by means of sod, as is done at Yankee Stadium. By contrast, the Brooklyn stadium's surface is Field Turf, with the "dirt" of the baseball diamond being made of the same material as the "grass", but coloured brown. For soccer this looks as bad as the lacrosse lines on the Cosmos' current home field at Hofstra.

Still, the Brooklyn park is in Coney Island, which is a much better place to hang out than Staten Island. Either way, the Cosmos having a permanent home within New York City in an appropriately-sized professional stadium would outweigh all drawbacks; and, if affilliation with NYCFC accomplishes that, then I'd be in favour of it at this point.

I have often said that fans of NYCFC and the Cosmos should ideally have a mutual respect and a friendly rivalry. Each club has a legitimate approach to authenticity -- the Cosmos by remaining independent; NYCFC by being owned by the group that also owns one of the world's most ambitious clubs. The two fan bases are united by our attraction to this authenticity, and also by our contempt for the Red Bulls and for the lingering stink of the early MLS that they will forever carry.

In the rumoured scenario in which CFG buys the Cosmos and makes them NYCFC's affilliated second team, most likely in the USL (thereby continuing the trend of MLS-affilliated farm teams in that league), this would be a fine way for the name to live on in the current climate. The Cosmos would then actually be in the NYCFC family; and I as a fan of both teams could certainly live with that.

nycfc-cosmos-combined-logo.gif

Boy, if people thought NYCFC was a mouthful then they're going to love New York City New York Cosmos Football Club.

More seriously, though, interesting words there and it's good to hear it from a Cosmo point of view (albeit from a fan who also followed NYCFC already. It's something I meant to comment on earlier but forgot - whether other Cosmos fans would be willing to support an NYCFC-owned Cosmos team, given the way that the Borough Boys seemed so vitriolic towards the club in its earliest days. I had half thought that if it happened NYCFC would lose the Cosmos' core fanbase and have to start afresh.

The Intern is probably reading all of this right now and telling Jon Patricof to call up Mansour to buy the Cosmos...

I've just gone back and read that reddit thread again, and seen that one of the two guys supplying the supposed info is honestly suggesting that CFG might consider using the Cosmos brand to rename Manchester City if it works out in New York...

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.