Designated Player (dp) Rule To Change?

I mean, CFG will potentially buy as many DP slots as the MLS is willing to sell, so I wouldn't be surprised if gradually adding DPs becomes a bit of a profit center for MLS.

However, should that curve get too steep too quickly, we'll end up with a pretty stratified league; the teams owned by capital-rich ownership groups and those which aren't.

Reactions: Kjbert
I mean, CFG will potentially buy as many DP slots as the MLS is willing to sell, so I wouldn't be surprised if gradually adding DPs becomes a bit of a profit center for MLS.

However, should that curve get too steep too quickly, we'll end up with a pretty stratified league; the teams owned by capital-rich ownership groups and those which aren't.
In a way isn't that a bit of what we want? In every euro league you have 2-5 teams who have way more money and compete for the top spots every year. Don't we want the ability to bring in that kind of talent even if Houston or Philly never will spend that money?

Reactions: Kjbert
we'll end up with a pretty stratified league; the teams owned by capital-rich ownership groups and those which aren't.
Hmmmm. Where have I seen this before? Let me think.

*cough* Yankees, Mets *cough*

While some owners will complain, they're more than happy to take the extra gate revenue when NYCFC comes to town. Look at the bump in attendance for Chicago and Philly.

Or, y'know, the EPL, La Liga, the Bundesliga and Serie A. I'm not saying it's uncommon; in most leagues the teams with the highest wage bill are the teams that win the titles.
EPL and Bundesliga might be the exception to this. While the teams that spend the most usually win the title there are a fair amount of shock title winners and an overall competitiveness within the league.

Hmmmm. Where have I seen this before? Let me think.

*cough* Yankees, Mets *cough*

EPL and Bundesliga might be the exception to this. While the teams that spend the most usually win the title there are a fair amount of shock title winners and an overall competitiveness within the league.

Major League Baseball has had 6 different teams win its championship the last 10 years.
Bundesliga 4
EPL 3
La Liga 3
Serie A 3
Ligue 1 6

Go back 20 years and it gets more extreme
Baseball 10 winners
Bundesliga 6
EPL 4
La Liga 5
Serie A 5
Ligue 1 10

Notes:
  • most of the European soccer leagues have seen things tighten up more recently.
  • The EPL is the most limited, and without the sheikh they would have probably had 3 winners in the last 20 years - ManU, Chelsea, and Arsenal.
  • Germany is misleadingly open: Bayern has 7 of the last 11.
  • Spain and Italy are also misleading: each have 2 teams that account for 9 of the last 10 championships.
  • The French league is the only one that can match baseball's record

MayBe something to do with the MLB luxury tax?
In part, plus the combined effect of age and the steroid crackdown. There was a time not too long ago when a rich club could offer a 32-year old an 8-10 year contract and expect most of that to be productive. Now some players start deteriorating right around 30-32 and most around 35. So the biggest spending teams get saddled with quickly aging players. Things fall apart fast. A few years ago the Phillies seemed primed to win for the next several years.
In contrast, my sense is that top level soccer contracts do not usually last as long as those in baseball. I admit I'm not fully informed on this so there's a chance I'm wrong. But I think the top spending European clubs can be more nimble and flexible because they aren't expected to offer aging players 10 year deals.

Go back 20 years and it gets more extreme
Baseball 10 winners
Bundesliga 6
EPL 4
La Liga 5
Serie A 5
Ligue 1 10
Bring it on. Americans are always afraid of doing something too European. I say let's follow in their footsteps here. I'd be happy splitting titles for the next 20 years with LA and LA.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
One more thing to remember - with playoffs you are much more likely to get a spread of winners. If Chelesea and ManU had to go through a 3 round playoff like baseball they would probably have fewer than 15 of the last 20 championships.