Designated Player (dp) Rule To Change?

Making a DP slot tradeable for a team like Columbus or Portland would be gold for them. What if NYCFC of LA Galaxy could send $1 Million to Columbus for their 4th DP Slot? Columbus could bankroll their academy for an entire year or purchase an above average player from abroad or pay 5 REALLY good MLS players. I love that idea.
I put forward the idea that they should be able to trade DP slots for allocation funds.

Let the smaller clubs have a deeper bench of quality ~million dollar guys(big names don't want to go to Columbus) and the big clubs have like 6 big DPs but then the remaining players be average MLS types or a club could go for something inbetween.

I put forward the idea that they should be able to trade DP slots for allocation funds.

Let the smaller clubs have a deeper bench of quality ~million dollar guys(big names don't want to go to Columbus) and the big clubs have like 6 big DPs but then the remaining players be average MLS types or a club could go for something inbetween.

MagnusPax MagnusPax This. We can have 6 DPs, but then we are starting Kwame Watson-Siriboe and Matt Dunn alongside them.

Where as an SKC or Columbus may have middle of the road guys - Feilhaber, Michael Parkhurts, etc.

From the article:

Metro New York has learned that the league is considering adding another designated player slot to the three already allowed on each team's roster but this one will, at its core, be more of a mid-tier level signing. The mechanism, a league source said, would likely be for the caliber of a player who would be signed over the league's maximum salary restriction of $436,250 but would come under a certain number.

The league source speculated that the max-salary number for this mechanism could be somewhere between $750,000 to $1 million. Nothing is definite yet, the source said, but it is something being strongly considered by the league and is tentatively being referred to as a "Core Designated Player."

The goal would be to keep and add more players who could add something to the league, players like a Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey, Giovinco, or Robbie Keane. This would also help keep MLS from losing players, specifically national team players, to larger contracts overseas. Those players might not be enough of a draw to specifically justify a designated player threshold but this proposed 'Core DP' would fit certain individuals.

Reactions: Kjbert
Great idea. Just a quick question: teams without 3 DPs (like ourselves, but we're in the process of filling up), do they not have the money to get 3 DPs or are there other reasons?

It's going to be really tough to fit 4 DPs under the salary cap.

$436,250 * 4 = $1,745,000, which is exactly half of the $3,490,000 cap.

I guess that's why we have the mysterious allocation money drifting around. There's a cap, unless you need more for a good reason.

This is great and certainly would help us. We can finally get some quality defenders in this league.

Great idea. Just a quick question: teams without 3 DPs (like ourselves, but we're in the process of filling up), do they not have the money to get 3 DPs or are there other reasons?
You have to purchase the third DP spot. A lot of ownership groups don't want to make the investment to be honest. Look no further than Montreal (1 DP).

I guess that's why we have the mysterious allocation money drifting around. There's a cap, unless you need more for a good reason.
The cap is for shitty american players

Reactions: Kjbert and Gavin23

For a time there were rumors that the 4th DP slot would be different and not count against the cap at all.

Reactions: Gazza_55
The cap is for shitty american players

Truth on two counts. Let's be honest, if they weren't shitty, they'd be getting higher offers from other leagues. They are paid what they are worth right now.

EDIT: Before I get attacked, I'll add that yes, there's more to it than that. Players aren't 100% fungible and they deserve a share of rising league revenues. But my general point remains.

Last edited:
Opening up OUR wallets? Since when has NYCFC been up against the cap or used its full compliment of DPs?

I'm not sure I understand how this helps us, since this team has been run on the cheap since day one.

But it will certainly help Seattle, LA and other true big spenders.

Some don't have the cash. Others have a hard time enticing players there at a price that they would recover. Not many stars eager to head to Columbus.

Also, I would assume this 4th DP spot would count less against the cap then the other 3 DPs.

Reactions: Kjbert and Fantazma
Opening up OUR wallets? Since when has NYCFC been up against the cap or used its full compliment of DPs?

I'm not sure I understand how this helps us, since this team has been run on the cheap since day one.

Are...are you joking? Mix would have been a DP for most other teams but NYC managed to get the price down + salary cap plays to get his number below a DP threshold. So NYC has had two DPs playing with a third on the way, and are actively courting a fourth.

Blame tactics, blame drafting, blame Kries, blame brovsky but cheapness is not an issue with this team.

Whichever of the mods moved this thanks. I couldn't find this thread.

I am incredibly confused on how you could call them cheap... They have been in now way been cheap. Lampard and Villa will be 2 of the highest paid players in the league. DP3 whoever that is might end up being the highest paid player in the league. Mix makes a huge salary and only got bought down by Garbers funny money. Cheap is probably the worst description of this team.