Directv Now

ktdNYCFC

Registered
Aug 23, 2015
Patchogue, NY
Anyone here using / used Directv Now? Currently paying through the nose for Optimum, and...
  • Really don't watch much cable at all;
  • We don't have Fios available where we are;
  • I only really watch MLS / EPL / etc;
  • Most other stuff we watch comes straight from Netflix / Amazon.
Their website is kinda dumb - just trying to find out if they carry YES. Anyone know?

Anyone here using / used Directv Now? Currently paying through the nose for Optimum, and...
Their website is kinda dumb - just trying to find out if they carry YES. Anyone know?

If you go here:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/attLocalChannels.jsp?assetId=att_cms_local_channels

and put in your zip code, it will tell you if you get YES. I did for mine (north of Albany) and I would get it.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC
Youtube TV (YTTV) is good for EPL and YES. My current setup is YTTV + Fox Soccer add-on for EPL, Champions League (and Europa League lol) and NYCFC. Then go90 for La Liga, Serie A and Ligue Un.

Its not necessarily the cheapest way to go, but at least YTTV isn't "dumb". I know exactly what you mean though - to me, Sling and Direct TV and Fubo don't really seem to have consumer software development in their culture, so the apps just don't feel like best-in-class apps and don't confirm to current UX paradigms. It's just painful.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC and adam

I just dropped Fios and gone through the Hulu Live, YouTube TV, Sling, Directv trials...

Directv doesn't have a DVR option at the moment, so that's a deal breaker for me. Otherwise, good channel selection and guide.

Hulu has good content, but their guide is a mess. I need a traditional style guide. It's probably the most asked for thing with their service. Regular service is cheap, the live channel option puts it at the same of the others. They just launched the live, so I'll give them a slight pass, but it failed during the final minutes of the super bowl.

I wound up liking Sling & YouTube TV the best. I went back and forth between the two. Sling offers lots of on demand content...but in the end, I settled with YouTube. Guide is great, quality is great, DVR is limitless, it's simple and easy. You can have 5 separate logins and simultaneous streams going.

Best thing about all of them is they are month to month and you can cancel and change at any time.

I would definitely consider the Roku for a streaming device. It works flawlessly. The AppleTV is pricier but works great as well.

Besides the streaming services there is a ton of free channels you can add too. I feel stupid for paying for cable for so long.

Great stuff. Maybe we should rename this the Cord Cutting Thread.

I am about to do the same. I HATE Optimum. Have been dealing with service issues for 2-3 months and it never gets fixed. Plus, YouTubeTV will have the SEC Network. Just need to find time to get everything in place.

What boxes are you guys using to access YouTubeTV and other services? I have a 2nd Generation AppleTV, but I think I may have to upgrade to the new model to get YouTubeTV, and that's not cheap.

Reactions: Vallos
Firestick plus Hulu/Amazon/Netflix/Kodi plus Parent's Cable Password (god bless) for HBO/Fox Sports Go/ESPN

Reactions: adam
Firestick plus Hulu/Amazon/Netflix/Kodi plus Parent's Cable Password (god bless) for HBO/Fox Sports Go/ESPN

I’m on the same exact program (with parents showtime), plus sling because Sometimes it’s nice to channel surf. YTTV doesn’t have nick jr, that’s a deal breaker in my house.

What internet packages are you guys getting that this is cheaper than cable?

I haven't cut the cord yet, but I think YouTubeTV will be a lot cheaper than my basic cable. I think it really depends on what you watch, but for me, it is mostly sports and network TV, and those are covered.

Reactions: Fake Jew

I have Optimum 100 internet only and pay $85 a month. (It was SO great when I was only paying $45 a month.) On top of that I have HBO Now, Netflix and Amazon Prime. I also recently got YouTube Red because I subscribed to Google Music family plan for $15 a month. I also have all of the streaming boxes but the Apple TV sees the most use because my wife uses it in our bedroom. I would use the Firestick most if I had one of those Kodi fixes on it.

Edit: Speaking of cost cutting, you guys need to attack your cell phones next. I am free as a bird!

Reactions: Fake Jew
I have Optimum 100 internet only and pay $85 a month. (It was SO great when I was only paying $45 a month.) On top of that I have HBO Now, Netflix and Amazon Prime. I also recently got YouTube Red because I subscribed to Google Music family plan for $15 a month. I also have all of the streaming boxes but the Apple TV sees the most use because my wife uses it in our bedroom. I would use the Firestick most if I had one of those Kodi fixes on it.

Edit: Speaking of cost cutting, you guys need to attack your cell phones next. I am free as a bird!
I'm actually planning on cutting my phone plan. Wifi is everywhere now.

Sling does. That’s why I have it.

Sling doesn't have Nick though.

Philo does. Philo is the new kid in town. Starts at $16 for 37 channels.

Reactions: adam
Great stuff. Maybe we should rename this the Cord Cutting Thread.

I am about to do the same. I HATE Optimum. Have been dealing with service issues for 2-3 months and it never gets fixed. Plus, YouTubeTV will have the SEC Network. Just need to find time to get everything in place.

What boxes are you guys using to access YouTubeTV and other services? I have a 2nd Generation AppleTV, but I think I may have to upgrade to the new model to get YouTubeTV, and that's not cheap.

I have bedroom TV's with Roku built in. On my main TV, Roku ultra. Not as slick as the AppleTV but cheaper. I wanted the same set up on all my TVs.