Domènec Torrent Appointed NYCFC Head Coach (June '18) / Mutually Agree to Part Ways (November '19)

What Are Your Thoughts on Torrent as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
all of 2019. unless villa is unhappy ( assuming he stays).

That would not surprise me in the least. And yet, I fail to understand why he gets that long of a leash. As I said, I don't think he deserves to stay right now, much less all of another season.

I don't care he lost his temper. What lowers Torrent in my estimation is he makes it about Araos and pulls this "who are you to ask me this?" BS. It's the "respect my authority" mindset of a petty bureaucrat tyrant, and one of the most pathetic types of unjustified self-regard. Note that Araos never asks a question about himself or injects himself into the conversation during the press conference. Torrent does that. Araos just reports on it after the fact.

lmao Araos work is trash no matter what dome did.

That would not surprise me in the least. And yet, I fail to understand why he gets that long of a leash. As I said, I don't think he deserves to stay right now, much less all of another season.

because he is CFG guy, and he is pep's boy. So if you fire him just like that maaaybe maaaybe it may unsettle Pep and he will be like hey yo CFG why you letting my boy off like that.

Or he just goes back to having REALLLLLLY great seats at the Etihad lol

i actually think he is an excellent Assistant, you dont stay that long with pep by being bad. seems like being lead man may not work even though he did it once long long ago.

Reactions: Kjbert
i actually think he is an excellent Assistant, you dont stay that long with pep by being bad. seems like being lead man may not work even though he did it once long long ago.

You could be right. Lots of examples in the US of assistants who can’t cut it as the lead man. Norv Turner in the nfl. Tom Thibodeau in the nba.

Pep also has a former Olympic swimmer on his coaching staff. So I’m conflicted.

You could be right. Lots of examples in the US of assistants who can’t cut it as the lead man. Norv Turner in the nfl. Tom Thibodeau in the nba.

Pep also has a former Olympic swimmer on his coaching staff. So I’m conflicted.

i want to disagree with Thibodeau ( at a time i wanted him on the knicks) but i think he is just Rose dependent and cant do much outside that. even though he seems to have respect from players

No, after the evidence came out you doubled down on stupid and wrong. And Araos was vindicated, not me.

Goes for you too K Kjbert
I actually went to bed before I saw the video ZYanksRule ZYanksRule posted, but if you want to run with your narrative you do you. Corroboration was 100% needed given the source. Seems like alot of people not just Dome can be petty.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I don't think Dome responded well to this.

I do think Araos is trying to stir things up. But that's subjective so I can agree to disagree.

I don't think this affects my position on Dome.
im late to this so i might be rehashing things already said, but I don't think Dome said anything wrong here. And I'm leaning slightly #DomeOut (for no other reason then he is uninspiring to me).

I think what he is saying is when I lose it doesn't matter why how I picked my lineup you guys crucify me anyway in a loss, which I think he accepts. He seems just just try to leave it at he picked his proven goal scorers to play in a game they need a goal. Then Araos like a wise guy says well then if you go by goals scored why did taty start when Jo has 4 goals to his 1; which imho is a jerk gotcha moment. It's pretty clear that its not the only determining factor, but araos is being a nudge (he even says use some better analysis then that, which is true, cause if it was that easy why even pay a coach, right?).

Dome just tried to justify his team sheet in a concise explanation and its still not good enough. Like ffs, you want him to spill every tactical decision on where he thinks atlanta is weak and/or where he thinks we are weak? why would he do that? Araos is being a pest. He just didn't handle it well; don't feed the trolls. This is why speaking with the media devolves to meaningless coach speak jargon. Win or lose, its easier to just give canned responses and leave.

Last edited:
im late to this so i might be rehashing things already said, but I don't think Dome said anything wrong here. And I'm leaning slightly #DomeOut (for no other reason then he is uninspiring to me).

I think what he is saying is when I lose it doesn't matter why how I picked my lineup you guys crucify me anyway in a loss, which I think he accepts. He seems just just try to leave it at he picked his proven goal scorers to play in a game they need a goal. Then Araos like a wise guy says well then if you go by goals scored why did taty start when Jo has 4 goals to his 1; which imho is a jerk gotcha moment. Dome tried to justify his team sheet in a concise expliantion and its still not good enough. Like ffs, you want him to spill every tactical decision on where he thinks atlanta is weak and/or where he thinks we are weak? why would he do that? Araos is being a pest. He just didn't handle it well; don't feed the trolls. This is why speaking with the media devolves to meaningless coach speak jargon. Win or lose, its easier to just give canned responses and leave.

It's not a jerk comment when the coach gives a reasoning that makes no sense.

"I played my best goalscorers" is why he started the guys he started. That's completely fair, and I don't think anyone had any issues with the XI.

It does not explain why Castellanos was on the bench over Berget or Lewis, and any decent reporter would follow up with that question.

The problem, as I said last night, is that Araos is the only actual reporter that covers this team, everyone else is a house organ incapable of asking hard questions. Because of that, it falls on Araos to ask all the tough questions which gives the coach the idea that he's a troublemaker. He's not. He's the only one who is actually willing to get answers to questions we want answers to.

Reactions: adam and BxLio91
I think what he is saying is when I lose it doesn't matter why how I picked my lineup you guys crucify me anyway in a loss, which I think he accepts. He seems just just try to leave it at he picked his proven goal scorers to play in a game they need a goal. Then Araos like a wise guy says well then if you go by goals scored why did taty start when Jo has 4 goals to his 1; which imho is a jerk gotcha moment. It's pretty clear that its not the only determining factor, but araos is being a nudge (he even says use some better analysis then that, which is true, cause if it was that easy why even pay a coach, right?).
Ehh, I don't think he was being crucified for it. He was asked why Berget was left off the bench, especially after he said the last 20 minutes in the first match we played very well, and that was while Berget was playing.

The only thing here that could maybe resemble "crucifying" him for it, was the quip about Taty only scored 1 and Berget scored 4. Which, sure, maybe you can say Araos was looking for some kinda "gotcha" moment, but I'm glad he didn't let it slide. I'd hope I was quick enough on my feet there to do the same thing. Considering English is not Dome's first language, perhaps when he made the goal scoring comment, he meant something a bit deeper and could have further explained it. If Araos didn't ask that next question, we'd all be having the conversation here now. "Why did Dome leave Berget off the bench and include Wallace and Taty, when he said that he chose players who scored more goals?"

Reactions: adam
It's not a jerk comment when the coach gives a reasoning that makes no sense.

"I played my best goalscorers" is why he started the guys he started. That's completely fair, and I don't think anyone had any issues with the XI.

It does not explain why Castellanos was on the bench over Berget or Lewis, and any decent reporter would follow up with that question.

The problem, as I said last night, is that Araos is the only actual reporter that covers this team, everyone else is a house organ incapable of asking hard questions. Because of that, it falls on Araos to ask all the tough questions which gives the coach the idea that he's a troublemaker. He's not. He's the only one who is actually willing to get answers to questions we want answers to.

The answers to every question about tactics is self explanatory. It doesn't matter if he does something insane like put Stuver in the striker role with 10 minutes left to go. Every tactical decision he makes (or doesn't make) is his opinion on what he thinks is best for the team. You can have a difference of opinion on what you think is best, and that will form your opinion of retain or fire, but everything you need to know about who he thinks is the best on the team for the task of winning was displayed by who started/subbed on and who didn't.

Middle of the season its hard to discern his purpose because maybe he is resting a player, maybe he's hiding an injury, maybe he's looking past a certain match-up to another week because he thinks the first one is a cakewalk or just wants a tie but he cannot outright say that. This being a do or die match he is throwing everything into getting the win, nothing to hide. All you need to get from his actions is that he doesn't rate Lewis or Berget to help the team win vs Atlanta (maybe he still likes them vs NYRB or some other matchup). Regardless of how we all feel about Lewis. Perhaps there is a real reason like an injury or discipline that he can explain internally to ownership, but he isn't going to tell a reporter. Like you are going to pester him into saying Berget is shit and lewis is immature? Does that sound like a coach players are going to want to play for or ownership wants to hire? a guy who airs dirty laundry and throws people under the bus? Cause calling out the players also calls out the scouts and the GM. You really think he wants to burn all his relationships so that a reporter can run a catchy story? What's in it for him?

Just nod and say, yeah yeah, I suppose I could have put jo in and maybe he gets a early header so we could park the bus to a 1-0 win and things would be different, but who knows?! *shrug* and end the interview. I get it, keeping his poise when people judge tactics in a loss is tough. Contentious back and forth with an reporter is always a loss for anyone talking to the media. I would have thought he knew that at his age.

Last edited:
The answers to every question about tactics is self explanatory. It doesn't matter if he does something insane like put Stuver in the striker role with 10 minutes left to go. Every tactical decision he makes (or doesn't make) is his opinion on what he thinks is best for the team. You can have a difference of opinion on what you think is best, and that will form your opinion of retain or fire, but everything you need to know about who he thinks is the best on the team for the task of winning was displayed by who started/subbed on and who didn't.

Middle of the season its hard to discern his purpose because maybe he is resting a player, maybe he's hiding an injury, maybe he's looking past a certain match-up to another week because he thinks the first one is a cakewalk or just wants a tie but he cannot outright say that. This being a do or die match he is throwing everything into getting the win, nothing to hide. All you need to get from his actions is that he doesn't rate Lewis or Berget to help the team win vs Atlanta (maybe he still likes them vs NYRB or some other matchup). Regardless of how we all feel about Lewis. Perhaps there is a real reason like an injury or discipline that he can explain internally to ownership, but he isn't going to tell a reporter. Like you are going to pester him into saying Berget is shit and lewis is immature? Does that sound like a coach players are going to want to play for or ownership wants to hire? a guy who airs dirty laundry and throws people under the bus? Cause calling out the players also calls out the scouts and the GM. You really think he wants to burn all his relationships so that a reporter can run a catchy story? What's in it for him?
I just wanna know his reasoning behind the decisions he makes. Asking him why Berget was left off the bench is completely valid.

Was it because Berget has a small knock? Was it because Berget doesn't match up well with what we wanna do in Atlanta? Was it because Berget is in bad form in Dome's opinion? I wanna know.

Apparently, it wasn't any of those. It was because Berget didn't score enough goals during the year. Well, that logic doesn't make sense due to Wallace and Taty being included then. So again, I would like a further explanation as to what he meant by that.

We (and I'm not sure if you specifically have done this, but I've seen it on the forum quite a bit) have often commented on how the NYC media needs to hold the team accountable. Asking very simple questions like this does that.

I'm a huge Pittsburgh Steelers fan. If Mike Tomlin started Josh Dobbs at QB (ok, quite a hyperbole here) over Ben Roethlisberger next week and his reasoning was that Dobbs has thrown more TDs this year, the city of Pittsburgh would be rioting.

I do want this very much, actually. And I measure soccer reporters by how much of it their interviewing skills can elicit.

i dont think many want to "reveal" tactical ideas about opponents. In this case maybe since we out already. but lets say that what he reveals gives Red bulls more ideas on how to beat them. then Tata is pissed. I feel like its more of "code" among managers not talking detailed tactics.